Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,310,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, while the property taxes are up there they aren't even the worst in the state. So, costs really even out, if not actually end up being cheaper here when looking with a bigger picture perspective.
sure, maybe when you consider NYS. But when you look at the bigger picture (comparing NYS to other states), you've also got decently sales taxes (>8%), moderate income taxes, and higher gas taxes than most states (except maybe CA) to contend with.

And the upstate region has been losing people for years, buffalo is by far the worst, but every city has been hit, although the recession has slowed the losses a bit.

What's particularly concerning for upstate new york is the loss of younger people IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM

93,105 posts, read 123,681,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
sure, maybe when you consider NYS. But when you look at the bigger picture (comparing NYS to other states), you've also got decently sales taxes (>8%), moderate income taxes, and higher gas taxes than most states (except maybe CA) to contend with.

And the upstate region has been losing people for years, buffalo is by far the worst, but every city has been hit, although the recession has slowed the losses a bit.

What's particularly concerning for upstate new york is the loss of younger people IMO
Even when looking at other states, the taxes can be higher in one county in say TX versus Onondaga County. So, you have to look at particular counties or areas as well.

Yes, people have been leaving Upstate over the years, but you would be surprised by how many people are actually considering Upstate NY due to the economy in other places and that they find out that other places are actually more expensive, including many Southern areas. There are other factors like crime, school quality and a slower pace, among other things, are reasons why people consider Upstate NY.

Jobs are going to depend on your skillset. So, it's not as simple as there aren't any jobs and when you usually here that, it is from those still stuck in the industrial frame of mind.

Young people have been leaving, but again, many realize that the grass isn't necessarily greener somewhere else and stay or come back.

I think another thing people in the area need to consider is starting their own businesses. Considering the state of the national economy, it would be a good time to consider this.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I think another thing people in the area need to consider is starting their own businesses. Considering the state of the national economy, it would be a good time to consider this.
NYS has to be one of the most business-unfriendly states (http://www.allbusiness.com/labor-employment/labor-sector-performance-labor-force/12323969-1.html - broken link) in the whole country. It was so bad that they had to create the misguided-Empire Zone program that has been abused to death by corporations already residing here.

It'd be great if downstate and upstate just parted ways. The rules/regulations made for downstate wreak havoc on upstate's economy.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
NYS has to be one of the most business-unfriendly states (http://www.allbusiness.com/labor-employment/labor-sector-performance-labor-force/12323969-1.html - broken link) in the whole country. It was so bad that they had to create the misguided-Empire Zone program that has been abused to death by corporations already residing here.

It'd be great if downstate and upstate just parted ways. The rules/regulations made for downstate wreak havoc on upstate's economy.
I don't parting ways will solve problems that local politicians haven't been able to handle themselves. Maybe Upstate needs to think in terms of making changes at the county level in terms of consolidation instead of just parting ways and thinking that will solve all of the problems for Upstate NY. First look at the people that are representing the area and see what changes are they willing to make in order to offset any issues that hurt business. I think people need to get over having their little turf or whatever and start consolidating services such as fire departments, police departments, school districts(i.e.-Lyncourt which doesn't even have a HS in it's SD), dissolving tiny villages or possibly those with a town of the same name(i.e.-Marcellus, Tully, Fabius, etc...) and other districts like water districts.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I think people need to get over having their little turf or whatever and start consolidating services such as fire departments, police departments, school districts(i.e.-Lyncourt which doesn't even have a HS in it's SD), dissolving tiny villages or possibly those with a town of the same name(i.e.-Marcellus, Tully, Fabius, etc...) and other districts like water districts.
That won't change the fact that unfunded mandates (education, increased medicaid spending etc.) continued to be handed down from the state-level, and that the state is happy to raise taxes rather than cut spending when dealing with budgetary issues.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
That won't change the fact that unfunded mandates (education, increased medicaid spending etc.) continued to be handed down from the state-level, and that the state is happy to raise taxes rather than cut spending when dealing with budgetary issues.
That still doesn't mean that things can't be done at the local level to help offset some of that either.

Also, what are your ideas for cutting spending to help bring costs down?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Also, what are your ideas for cutting spending to help bring costs down?
A reigning in of public sector costs? The unions in this state literally run Albany, having some of the most powerful lobbies in the state (NYSUT, CSEA etc.).

I liked Patterson's idea of pegging NYS spending to the average rate of inflation over the past 3 years (of course it didn't go anywhere, like most of the good ideas he has come up with). Politicians are happy to come up with good ideas, but it's a different story when they have to actually face the music and get the idea implemented.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
A reigning in of public sector costs? The unions in this state literally run Albany, having some of the most powerful lobbies in the state (NYSUT, CSEA etc.).

I liked Patterson's idea of pegging NYS spending to the average rate of inflation over the past 3 years (of course it didn't go anywhere, like most of the good ideas he has come up with). Politicians are happy to come up with good ideas, but it's a different story when they have to actually face the music and get the idea implemented.
I agree and that's why I feel that local governments need to be more realistic, as they live here and should know better. So, you would think they would do what they can to cut costs. I'm talking about the city, town and county governments.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
So, you would think they would do what they can to cut costs. I'm talking about the city, town and county governments.
I think it's futile for them, if the culture in Albany and downstate doesn't change.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I think it's futile for them, if the culture in Albany and downstate doesn't change.
Again, the new legislation that passed that would allow some consolidation should be used in the area and in other parts of Upstate NY. So, there are some things that can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area