Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 06:31 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,248 times

Advertisements

Six hours when you have already been to the mall. What part of Syracuse is best to visit and sit down for a meal? No chain restaurants, no box stores. For people, like the wife and I, who maybe just want to visit for something to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:39 PM

357 posts, read 968,329 times
Armory Square Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY is really great with a lot of local restaurants, also has the science museum with the IMAX OMNI theater (domed screen) which is a really neat experience Museum Information - Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science &amp Technology

Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,783 times
If you like art, the Everson Art Gallery; drama, depending on timing, perhaps a show at the Redhouse or at Syracuse Stage. Dining: there's lots of good food in Armory Square, as well as L'Adour on Washington Street if you like French cuisine. There's other stuff scattered around downtown too; the Mission on Onondaga at Montgomery (Mex) is one. Largely depends on the kind of cuisine you're looking for.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:25 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Which six hours... what day of the week? I get to have time like that, entirely to myself, once or twice a month- and I plan it so that cNY can romance me. It sounds cheesy, I know- but I always feel like I've been on a date after a really lovely day like that. I'd love to suggest something.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:43 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times
Armory Square.... the art galleries a few blocks away on West Fayette (Delavan Gallery and whatever else is open)... and if you're into vintage clothes and a good Mexican influenced bistro there's always shopping at Boom Babies and lunch at Alto Cinco on Westcott Street.

I hate to say that's all there is but it's true for generalized suggestions and a short visiting time span. Those are the options in this town that are parallel to what you have on Monroe, Park etc. in Rochester but there's less of it here because it's a smaller city that is less affluent.

We have some stellar independent ethnic restaurants such as New Century for Vietnamese, Chorong House for Korean, Eva's for Polish food and Ponchito's for a taqueria but all of the above are spread out into different neighborhoods.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:53 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,437 times
You could also try Syracuse's very nice Rosamond Gifford Zoo. It has a modest cafe.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:03 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
You could also try Syracuse's very nice Rosamond Gifford Zoo. It has a modest cafe.
Then, hop over to Coleman's for dining or just a nice drink in the Tipp Hill section: Coleman's Authentic Irish Pub Syracuse, NY

You have the Erie Canal Museum: http://www.eriecanalmuseum.org/

A nice trip to even Skaneateles or Liverpool could be cool too. Skaneateles is a nice, neat village on Skaneateles Lake and Liverpool in on Onondaga Lake and has a huge park in Onondaga Lake Park. Both have cute and walkable business districts with restaurants and nice scenery too. http://www.skaneateles.com/ (You might like places like the Krebs, Bluewater Cafe and Sherwood Inn). http://www.villageofliverpool.org/ (You might like places like:Plate, Mother's, the Retreat and Murdock's).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-26-2009 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area