Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 09:07 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times

Advertisements

If I'm not mistaken, it exceeded 90 degrees one time in Syracuse this year. That was back in April.

Tomorrow's forecasted high over 90 degrees has been lowered to the upper 80s.

Does anyone know if Syracuse has ever had a summer...June July, August/September on record when the temperature hasn't exceeded 90 degrees?

I miss the summer of 2005! In my opinion, this summer has been awful.....probably the worst in recent memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
LOL - I'm a cool weather/shade lover. My children and I go out to play in the rain and hole up in the house on days like today... full sun/heat and humidity. We'll go out this afternoon, when the patio is almost entirely shaded.

So, for us, this has been a gorgeous summer. Rainy, warm days... sunny, cool days. Sometimes rainy and cool, which I love. Except for the humidity brought on by all the rain, it's been idyllic. LOL

You've mentioned your lack of rain though... if I didn't have all of this rain, it would be a very boring summer indeed.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
I'd personally take 80's any dday...90's is so gross. Supposed to hit 98 today in NY metro if it hasn't already.

be lucky yours got lowered to the 80's. It's a scorcher!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:35 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it exceeded 90 degrees one time in Syracuse this year. That was back in April.

Does anyone know if Syracuse has ever had a summer...June July, August/September on record when the temperature hasn't exceeded 90 degrees?

I miss the summer of 2005! In my opinion, this summer has been awful.....probably the worst in recent memory.
I have been in the Metro DC area for the past 10 years now. We've had 90+ degree and sunny days here for about a month straight. Not only 90 degrees, but 100% humidity at night and it's very high during the day. All we do down here is go from one Air Conditioned place to another. We usually have the a/c running at the house from March until Thanksgiving.

I really miss the weather back home in Syracuse and being able to crack the windows open all year round. My kids refuse to play outside from 12-4pm because it's so hot out.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,113 times
Considering I have lived in a place where summer typically meant 120+ degrees in the Summer I am loving this. Nothing beats CNY summers. The cooler temps, the rain, etc I am loving life

Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

Glad to know this may not be typical - I'm DYING in this heat right now. Sure, we get hotter down south, BUT THERE IS AIR CONDITIONING EVERYWHERE, so dealing with the heat is no big deal.

I am truly amazed at the lack of air conditioning here. We went to church this morning and I almost fainted in the heat. Don't know how people lived without air conditioning 100 years ago!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:31 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Glad to know this may not be typical - I'm DYING in this heat right now. Sure, we get hotter down south, BUT THERE IS AIR CONDITIONING EVERYWHERE, so dealing with the heat is no big deal.

I am truly amazed at the lack of air conditioning here. We went to church this morning and I almost fainted in the heat. Don't know how people lived without air conditioning 100 years ago!
What church was this?

Also, thank God for fans. That's what I use at my house and it isn't anything to have a few fans running all at once.

What's also ironic is that Syracuse had a Carrier Air Conditioner plant in the area for several decades.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:28 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I'm amazed too!

I grew up with no air conditioning, but that was in the 1980s. Hard to believe that families are still willing to spend thousands of dollars on vacations and eating out.... YET not invest in air conditioning.

Growing up I remember spending hours at Penn Can Mall in the summer months to get out of the heat in the house. I bet my family saved money after they installed central air since they didn't need to go out to the mall, to the movies or eat out just to escape the heat.

Even though Syracuse is the warmest city in Upstate NY during most "heat waves", for some reason many people locally still don't see air conditioning as a priority. It probably has to do with the fact that locals think of Syracuse as a cold snowy city where summers are very short. In reality summers are just as long in Syracuse as they are in the rest of the Northeast US and southeastern Canada (for the most part).

Old 08-17-2009, 07:20 AM

96 posts, read 284,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
LOL - I'm a cool weather/shade lover. My children and I go out to play in the rain and hole up in the house on days like today... full sun/heat and humidity. We'll go out this afternoon, when the patio is almost entirely shaded.

So, for us, this has been a gorgeous summer. Rainy, warm days... sunny, cool days. Sometimes rainy and cool, which I love. Except for the humidity brought on by all the rain, it's been idyllic. LOL

You've mentioned your lack of rain though... if I didn't have all of this rain, it would be a very boring summer indeed.
Exactly the reason I moved back to New York after two years in Florida. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has been loving this summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: