Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,119 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I will be moving to the area and am looking into getting a new cell phone and sign up for a plan ---- does anyone recommend AT&T or Verizon as far as minimal dead spots?
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:38 AM

845 posts, read 1,680,315 times
Verizon has the best and most consistent service in the Syracuse area. That said... the only significant dead spot I have encountered with Verizon was on East Genesee Street from around Nottingham High School out to Manor Drive in Dewitt. That was a major dead zone for all cell phones but a new tower is in place there and is either operational or will be soon.

When I moved back here from NJ my employer had me on Sprint and I couldn't get signal inside my house (Bradford Hills area). But Verizon works fine for me and friends who visit with their iPhones and AT&T service also have no issues.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 AM

92,002 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
Verizon has the best and most consistent service in the Syracuse area. That said... the only significant dead spot I have encountered with Verizon was on East Genesee Street from around Nottingham High School out to Manor Drive in Dewitt. That was a major dead zone for all cell phones but a new tower is in place there and is either operational or will be soon.

When I moved back here from NJ my employer had me on Sprint and I couldn't get signal inside my house (Bradford Hills area). But Verizon works fine for me and friends who visit with their iPhones and AT&T service also have no issues.
I second Verizon. I have had minimal issues with their service.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 PM

623 posts, read 1,811,220 times
I third verizon, I have had them since moving back to CNY and havent had a problem at all

Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 PM

24 posts, read 87,118 times
omg, I just switched to AT&T from T-mobile. I will move up to syr next Friday...

Old 08-10-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_young View Post
omg, I just switched to AT&T from T-mobile. I will move up to syr next Friday...
I have not heard of coverage issues in this area with AT&T or with Verizon but have heard such reports about both Sprint and T-Mobile (make that first hand info - I once had Sprint and my GF had T-Mobile).

You should be fine in this area with AT&T.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 PM

81 posts, read 230,983 times
My wife and I both have Sprint...no issues with dead spots or anything that I've noticed. Though I bet you'd be fine with any of the 3 to be honest.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
My wife and I both have Sprint...no issues with dead spots or anything that I've noticed. Though I bet you'd be fine with any of the 3 to be honest.
Perhaps it's better now. As of three years ago - when I last had Sprint - there were some significant dead zones in the outer University area just east of Meadowbrook and Euclid. I literally had to walk outside the house and stand across the street in my neighbors driveway in order to sustain a call without dropping it. Friends who visited and had Sprint had the same issue with different phone models so I'll guess it was a coverage issue.

Granted - it might be a small dead spot but if you live in the middle of it then it becomes a big issue.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:12 PM

81 posts, read 230,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
Perhaps it's better now. As of three years ago - when I last had Sprint - there were some significant dead zones in the outer University area just east of Meadowbrook and Euclid. I literally had to walk outside the house and stand across the street in my neighbors driveway in order to sustain a call without dropping it. Friends who visited and had Sprint had the same issue with different phone models so I'll guess it was a coverage issue.

Granted - it might be a small dead spot but if you live in the middle of it then it becomes a big issue.
Oh absolutely...I had a dead spot at my house a few years ago that seemed to be literally just MY house.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,295,317 times
if you have a T-mobile Blackberry Curve, you can connect your phone to your home's wireless network and make calls via VoIP. The device can switch over to your home network automatically. This only works on T-mobile and not other carriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: