Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,588 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Syracuse for work at the beginning of next month. Can anyone recommend good accomodation to live for a single person? My range is up to 600-700 per month.(utilities, gas, heat and hotwater included would be nice) I am looking for 1 bedroom 1 bathroom or efficiencies or studio,safe quiet area. I will possibly taking public transportation to work until I settle down and get a car. Is there any apartment that offer renting month to month????? It seems like a lot of places required 1 year lease.

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,126 times
Could you deal with a six month lease? Drucker real estate owns a number of properties - some on outer East Genesee towards Nottingham High School and a few others just off James Street - all of which are safe enough areas, on bus lines and convenient. I rented a studio and they let me do a six month lease. There may be some other month-to-month options on or just off of James Street but you'll probably want to look past the intersection of Lodi rather than between Lodi and downtown.

There is at least one specific area with very cheap all inclusive studios and efficiencies that I suggest completely avoiding. It's on the hill to the south side of Erie Blvd East - begins past Seeley Road and extends until the last street before Thompson Rd. Lemoyne Colleg and the Salt Springs area - which are on top of that hill - are fine - as is Thompson Rd. But the units down the hill on Polk Street, Smith Street and Lime Street are a bit dicey.

What part of town will you be working in? You may find some good options on or just off of West Genesee Street also.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 11,588 times
Thanks Phaelon, more please

I'll be working at SUNY upstate hospital. I really don't know much about the area. Yes, 6 months would be fine. Can you tell me some of the Drucker real estate properties(phone, website)? I know it's gonna be hectic looking for place since the school in the area will start pretty soon. How's the public transportation there?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,126 times
D.N.Drucker Ltd. :: Real Estate and Brokerage Company

Tell them you're looking for something on East Genesee anywhere from Westcott Street out to as far as near Nottingham High School. East Genesee is a major route for Centro - the regional bus company - and it's the only form of public transportation we have locally. If you're on East Genesee near Westcott it's only a five block walk to the real Food Co-op (open to non-members) - a good grocery store alternative. You can also get a bus out Genesee to the big Wegman's for major trips.

The outer Genesee area near Nottingham is on the edge of a very nice residential area - the section near Westcott is a little rougher around the edges but still safe and definitely very convenient.

Working at SUNY Upstate and having no car dictates - in my opinion - that you should live on the east side of the city near the East Genesee Street bus line. If you get really close to the hospital complex it's a student dominated area with one year leases, first and last month's rent due in advance etc.

But even from the Westcott Street area you can still walk to Upstaet in 20 minutes. By the way... I have a friend who lives in a decent small apartment building on East Gennesee near Westcott and his rent is quite reasonable. His landlord owns a couple buildings there and he seems content after six months there as are his neighbors who have been there a few years. I'll try to get the phone # for you but as with many properties - a one year lease may be necessary.

Don't hesitate to run a "wanted to rent" ad in the Syracuse paper. It worked for me in the past. There are plenty of little old ladies (I use that term fondly my mom is one!) and other folks who may have an "in-law" apartment or such attached to their house and don't like to run ads seekign tenants but work by word of mouth instead. Such people do sometimes check those ads and call the prospects who sound good (e.g. quiet mature professional adult, non-smoker etc.). I had success with this strategy in the past in both Syracuse and Ithaca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: