Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:57 PM

655 posts, read 2,327,750 times

Advertisements

I've heard that many people who previously lived in the Mid-West, NYS/PA/NJ & New England States and moved to sunbelt states like Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Arizona, & Nevada & other sunbelt states are now having "Second Thoughts" about moving to the sunbelt. These people are now in the process of moving back North or seriously/actively planning to move back North. My response to these people is "WELCOME HOME"; we are glad to have you come home again. I myself, many years ago, had thought the "grass was greener" and I moved to Florida. After living there for some time I realized my move was a mistake for me. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed VACATIONING in Florida or the other sunbelt states but I REALLY MISSED so many things that the northern states have to offer. I decided that my permanent home should be up north and I could spend vacations in the sunbelt for a Winter respite. I did not move back north to my former small rural home town. I decided for various reasons to return north to a larger city which would offer more amenities. I considered Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Binghamton, Corning/Horseheads/Elmira, Utica/Rome/Herkimer, Saratoga Springs, & Albany. After considering numerous factors I chose suburban Syracuse. I have lived in the Syracuse suburbs now for several years and I'm very satisfied that I made that decision. That's enough about me. Some of my reasons and other peoples reasons for moving back north are outlined following. Reasons for moving away from the sunbelt states>>>too hot temperatures for too many months of the year-you just can't get away from the constant heat unless you are inside air conditioned buildings, do not like all the insects/termites/red ants/scorpions/poisonious snakes/alligators/etc., do not like the destructive hurricanes & tornados, do not like the endless FLAT land, do not like the desert as a permanent landscape, food prices are overall HIGHER (which surprised me) than in the north, electricity cost can be higher, home prices are higher, lower pay scale in many areas, heavy traffic in large sunbelt cities, lower sunbelt property taxes BUT other fees on things cancel-out/erase this advantage factor, higher auto & home insurance costs, higher cost to register your vehicles, serious lack/shortage of clean water supply, crime, the arts & cultural activities seem to be less available, some areas do not have as high education standards for their schools, miss family & lifelong friends who still live in the northern states, and many other reasons for leaving the sunbelt states. Reasons for moving back to northern states>>>Quality of life factors, lower/affordable & wide range of home prices in safe/decent neighborhoods/towns, high education standards of schools/colleges/universities, lower food prices, great supply of clean water, four seasons-Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter, the forested mountains, the abundance of lakes/rivers/streams, the major big cities offering cultural/sports/enjoyable activities are nearby enough to easily visit=Boston/New York/Philadelphia/Toronto/Montreal/etc., vacation destinations like Acadia Nat'l. Park, picturesque Maine ocean coast, quaint New England towns, the numerous mountains/lakes/scenery/towns of Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine, Cape Cod/Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard, the Adirondack/Catskill/Berkshire/Green/White/Pocono Mountains, the beautiful Finger Lakes region of NYS, the Thousand Islands & St. Lawrence River region, Niagara Falls & River Gorge, the scenic Lake George/Lake Champlain region of NY & VT., Old Sturbridge Village, Mystic Seaport, Genesee Country Village, the Corning Glass Museum, Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame, Lake Placid, Boothbay Harbor, Ogonquit, Kennebunkport, Bouckville Antique Shows, Longwood Gardens PA, Lancaster PA, Hershey PA, and a lot of other wonderful places & things to enjoy. And Yes, WE HAVE SNOW!! The snowy winter provides for mountain skiing, cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, ice skating, snowmobiling, making snowmen, building snow igloos & forts, snowball banter, snow angels, and a beautiful winter wonderland atmosphere for sitting in your home in front of a crackling fireplace with family & friends & pets eating popcorn/making smores/drinking apple cider or wine/listening to music/watching a movie, as you watch thru the picture-window the snow gently falling outside your cozy home. Winter can be fun!! There are probably other reasons to move north too. You can SEARCH the internet for INFORMATION on any of the destinations/attractions/regions/cities mentioned herein. Just go to your internet search feature and type-in a subject such as: FINGER LAKES INFORMATION & PHOTOS, or CAPE COD INFORMATION & PHOTOS, or THOUSAND ISLANDS INFORMATION & PHOTOS, or any other subject. You may also want to read my thread titled: "Syracuse area/region is an affordable place to buy a home" on this site: City-Data.com, displayed under Syracuse, N.Y.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:09 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,765 times
I could not agree with you more grdnrman. For the first time in 60 years, the state of Florida has lost population last year. Last year, Broward and Hillsborough Counties from 2007 to 2008. There are many here that are in denial, including my collegues in the planning field. They believe that this is an aberition. I argue to no avail that it is not. Beaches and sunshine can only go so far, the housing and development market drive this economy. However, macro-economic factors, i.e. fuel costs are impacting the sunshine state. If fuel costs are up, people will not travel to Florida, esp. the snowbirds. Florida does not recognize that it is not the only retirement mecca anymore. Nor has it invested in the type of education for the 21st century, like environmental technology, biotechnology, nanotechnology, etc.

Florida loses population for the first time since World War II - St. Petersburg Times

Yes, upstate New York does have its problems, but it also has an extensive and flourishing academic infrastructure. Three of the most prestigious institutions are right in CNY, Cornell, Syracuse, and Colgate. Syracuse does not have to look far to emulate thriving education and technology driven communities, just look at Ithaca which is growing. I am cautiously optimistic about the future of Syracuse and the transition it has made, lets hope some of those transplants from the sunbelt relocate to CNY.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:35 PM

623 posts, read 1,816,618 times
Totally agree, and rep points coming. Recently moved back from the neon utopia Las Vegas and I am so glad to be back. Love being "home" because thats what it really is

Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 AM

96 posts, read 284,217 times
grdnyman - excellent post!
You made every point I usually forget to mention as to why I moved back to New York from Florida. It's been a little over a year now and I couldn't be happier as my time there fades from my memory. There are folks I left behind that still like "The Sunshine State," but it wasn't for me.
As soon as I can figure out how to give rep points, you have more coming your way.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
So true grdnyman and my parents are Southerners that came during the "Great Migration" times to the North. People seem to forget about those things in regard to the South and what NY has to offer. I feel that NY is on the verge of a breakthrough pretty soon.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:43 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,593 times
It's so encouraging to see all these uplifting comments about living in CNY. Back in 2004, when I was considering moving there the first time, I was greeted with a wall of negativity, with the exception of Ithaca. But I just couldn't see any justification for moving to a place like Syracuse - and I couldn't shake the feeling that things weren't going to be changing any time soon.

But now, five years on, I'm seeing the very first signs of transition for CNY and the rest of upstate New York - the population level seems to be stabilizing at long last, increasing interest by the general public in state governmental affairs, bringing the possibility of real change to the forefront, the economy holding its own in the face of a very deep national recession, and other positive indicators.

I've done the Florida thing myself, and I've seen how the rampant growth and sprawl totally ruined that state. I worked as a county planner from 93-98, and I saw raw land being developed one square mile at a shot (picture looking at a sea of houses, stretching all the way out to the horizon). I've seen the schools deteriorate, the traffic worsen, the quality of life decaying as the essentials of everyday living got increasingly expensive. And the summers...don't get me started on that.

Did I make a mistake coming to Atlanta in '04 as opposed to New York? Economically, no; I fared far better job-wise coming here as opposed to trying to make a go of it up north. But look at the picture now, it's 10.7% unemployment here in the ATL as opposed to a rate 2.5% lower in Syracuse, that's quite a bit of a role reversal, if you ask me. Taking all of these factors together, CNY sure looks a whole lot more attractive than it did just 5 years ago.

But I sure wish I was already up there today. I wish I was up there yesterday. I WILL be up there tomorrow, though.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:50 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,111 times
when the recession is over the sunbelt will boom again and unemployment will be much lower than it is now, the south will keep growing especially florida and georgia, florida is going pass ny in population in a few years bet on it.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:57 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
when the recession is over the sunbelt will boom again and unemployment will be much lower than it is now, the south will keep growing especially florida and georgia, florida is going pass ny in population in a few years bet on it.
Probably due to immigration, but there are some people leaving Florida for various reasons too.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:05 PM

81 posts, read 231,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Probably due to immigration, but there are some people leaving Florida for various reasons too.
I'd agree, immigration will keep Florida growing despite the blip from this past year or so. The conomy? I'm sure it rebounds from where it has been recently, but I'm not sure how much "new wealth" is going to be brought into FL. Florida has not historically had a very vibrant economy beyond tourism until the past 7 or so years. I guess we'll see there.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:54 PM

70 posts, read 178,945 times
Syracuse's unemployment rate is now down to 7.9 percent and with a lot more green jobs coming to the area along with the biotechnology center...things are looking good for Syracuse...Anyways summers in the south are like winters in the north, you can't go outside in either one and the winters are still really cold in the south...last year places like Virginia and North Carolina had at least 30 inches of snow. Florida also has a weak economy because of the recession, Florida's huge economy depends on tourism and tourism is definitely down. Also, a lot of jobs have left the area and the unemployment rate is very high much higher then the 7.9 percent in Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area