Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Syracuse build a new sports arena within the next five years?
Yes 10 62.50%
No 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times

Advertisements

County scrambles to fund repairs to War Memorial

by John Mariani
Wednesday August 13, 2008, 10:06 AM

Syracuse, NY -- Two years ago, Onondaga County officials promised the Syracuse Crunch a new scoreboard, new seats, new locker rooms and roof repairs to keep the hockey team playing at the War Memorial Auditorium.

Now, the Onondaga County Legislature is being asked to deliver the goods.

This week, county facility managers asked the Legislature to borrow $10.6 million to make those improvements at the War Memorial and others at the Civic Center's Crouse-Hinds Theater.

County scrambles to fund repairs to War Memorial

Honestly, is there another US Metropolitan Area over 500,000 in population with a worse arena than the Syracuse War Memorial?

It is truly an embarrassment to this community. IMO, the War Memorial is degrading to any team that plays there and every event that’s held there. Ugly on the outside, ugly on the inside. Old, out-dated, and small are just some words that come to mind with this arena. If any US city is in need of more hometown pride, it is Syracuse. Whereas the War Memorial has just the opposite effect.

For some reason Syracuse civic leadership has become complacent with their familiar surroundings and inhibited by change. They don't know how to approach or invite that change because they are not used to the unknown. Fixing up the War Memorial, when in reality building a new one is the best solution is a perfect example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
A new arena is definately needed here. As much as I like the War Memorial, it's kind of outdated. Maybe build a new arena on the same site and keep some of the military items or build it at another site. Also, we need an arena that seats more than 8-10,000 people. Maybe more like 12-15,000, depending on the event.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 PM

97 posts, read 416,849 times
It is outdated, but with a good team inside the place gets rockin'. It's loud, and that's what I like from a sports arena. Music-wise, I'm not so sure.

History is what is keeping Fenway up and standing. The War Memorial has history. Take that however you wish.

I'd rather have a good team in an old cozy arena than a new half-filled one with luxury boxes, which is the reason teams constantly rebuild arenas, to build more high-end options.

Either way it's not a big issue for me, Syracuse has plenty of good sports and cultural venues.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
Default Debate about future of War Memorial continues

Debate about future of War Memorial continues

Syracuse (WSYR-TV) - Plans to put a new roof on the Onondaga County War Memorial are moving forward, but questions about the building's future remain. The county executive’s office is asking for an architect to start design plans for a new roof after a heated discussion at the legislature's facilities meeting Tuesday.

However, the roof has started a much larger debate among lawmakers.

Debate about future of War Memorial continues - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,416 times
This county is filled with old crows who think that replacing the War Memorial would be direspectful to those that served. well I for one served, and this old barn is a joke. Build a new one that can showcase the strong military history of the area. Give visitors something to get excited about. Not just for Hockey, and other events, but for we Veterans, our family and friends. Greater respect and history lessons will be learned if these aspects were showcased, not hidden.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,392 times
It's not a great hockey arena -- I think the rink isn't full-size, I know it's tough to maintain good ice with a heated basement directly beneath the arena floor, and the whole place is a bit cramped.

The building itself -- and the memorial -- are gorgeous, however. Build a new arena a couple blocks south on under-utilized land at Taylor and State; keep the memorial to the veterans where it is.

(I know, no money for these things right now. Someday, perhaps.) I do think a new roof for an arena nearing obsolescence is probably not the best use of limited funds. If I've got a 15-year-old car with 200,000 miles on it, I'm not springing for new tires.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:49 AM

125 posts, read 433,132 times
Honestly, it is not ugly..if you really take a look at the details and keep in mind why and who it was built to honor, you would see my point....yes, it's old, but why do we constantly feel the need to tear down history and memories?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:35 AM

406 posts, read 1,450,847 times
I'm with Cleveland Park on this one. Build a new state of the art sports complex on some of the available land and save/restore the Memorial for special events such as concerts, craft and art shows ect.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:25 PM

70 posts, read 178,970 times
Listen up Bellafinzi...do you think it is time to build a new war memorial? You think our state, that is in debt, 3 billion dollars and a country that is in debt 1.7 trillion dollars, should waste money on a war memorial center. Taxes are already outrages, we are borrowing more than we can pay back, and you want a new war memorial? Come on now, people like you put this country in debt. No one knows how to control their spending. Who cares how it looks, it looks decent enough. Since when is 10.6 million dollars not good enough? I mean come on now, people don't think before they speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area