Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Orphaned: post you were quoting/replying to has been deleted
Here is an overview of what I am talking about and why I think it is an important issue:

VDARE.com: 07/22/03 - Globalism plus Outsourcing Equals American Dispossession

I am concerned and worried about ALL OF THE USA, not just my little piece of territory as in where I personally live, when it comes to the unemployment numbers and what we can do to improve them or to have a proper social safety net for those who may very well become long-term unemployable through no fault of their own, but rather through corporate greed when it comes to the abuse of work visas and offshore outsourcing.

Moderator cut: personal debates

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-02-2009 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This is an important question. What is the job title and/or major duties of what your friend does for this Indian company?
Not that it matters all that much, but he's a software developer in the finance industry.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:06 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times
Thanks for your post acknight, I was about to jump out of my skin when I read shawn88's post. It is unbelievable, that with all the press surrounding the Center of Excellence and the CNY Biotech Center, there are actually people who believe that they are both company's.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Vex

125 posts, read 258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Who says they make a crappy product? This video is a joke, about something else entirely, and yet you try to make this yet another anti-India political soapbox.
This video is of the G-Wiz - the flagship product of REVA. While the video is a joke, so is the company's product.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Wiz

Old 11-03-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
This video is of the G-Wiz - the flagship product of REVA. While the video is a joke, so is the company's product.
REVA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Per that article, the model to be produced here is the next generation, which has a higher top speed of 65 mph (the G-Wiz in the video is classified as a neighborhood electric vehicle and speed limited to 25 mph in the US).

Quote:
[edit] REVA NXR

The 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show saw the unveiling of a new M1 class vehicle known as the NXR. Domestic production is set to begin in the coming months with export production scheduled for the second quarter of 2010. The NXR will be available with either lead-acid or lithium-ion batteries. Well known Indian car designer Dilip Chhabria, is responsible for the styling.
Range, speed, safety and interior specifications all fall along the lines of a new generation of battery electric vehicles. In Europe, the car will fall under NCAP crash testing regulations. The IC (inter-City) model has a top speed of 104 km/h (65 mph) and a range of 160 km (99 mi). The interior is of a far higher grade when compared to the earlier REVA quadracycle and the back seats now comfortably fit 2 adults.
The NXR has some unusual features, one being its REVive battery charging system. Telematic remote access to the car's on-board Energy Management System allows REVA to analyse a near depleted battery upon request. Their support centre can individually determine the battery condition within seconds and allow access to the remaining charge. This serves as a virtual back-up battery while minimising the risk of damage to the powerpack due to depletion.

The NXR, per your link, is the model to be manufactured here.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Not that it matters all that much, but he's a software developer in the finance industry.
The finance industry of what country? Since you said he is an employee of an Indian company, I would assume India's. Why would they open a branch of their own finance industry in the USA?

Does he do training of other software developers?

Basically the jobs that Indian companies tend to place American employees in are sales jobs (and for each sales job created, there is the potential for thousands of other Americans' jobs to be offshored) and training jobs (training offshore and onsite employment visa personnel, which also is for the purpose of offshoring or using visa labor to the detriment of American workers).

Old 11-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Default TY! I am just trying to educate people!

TY very much bellafinzi,

I am not on here to fight with people, but only to inform and warn people about the potential pitfalls of giving our tax money as grants to foreign companies and assuming that they will employ local people in return for this money and this opportunity. If the locals are made aware about unlimited L1 guest worker visas and offshore outsourcing and how it negatively affects employment of the local populace (citizen and permanent resident alike), then they will know what to DEMAND of their legislators in terms of making the rules in these agreements to grant tax money to foreign companies like the grant REVA is supposed to get from the Department of Energy.

Let's face it, these grants are supposed to be about creating jobs for the local area. If REVA wants our tax money to start their plant, the contract should prohibit offshore outsourcing and severely limit L-1 visas to high level executives.

Otherwise, they will be able to offshore as much work as they want and they will be able to bring in as many employees from India as they want because L-1 visas are UNLIMITED in number, as opposed to H-1B visas, which do have a yearly cap. There are also no stipulations on what level of employee you can bring in on L-1 visas. You can bring ANYONE in of any level from a top executive to someone who waters the plants and cleans the office.

If foreign companies are going to come here and be supported and nurtured by being given a boost out of our tax money, they should give the jobs to the locals in the economy, not send them offshore or import their own labor from their home country.

Otherwise, what do we need them here for sucking off the teats of the Department of Energy?

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned: post you were quoting/replying to has been deleted
Here is an overview of what I am talking about and why I think it is an important issue:

VDARE.com: 07/22/03 - Globalism plus Outsourcing Equals American Dispossession

I am concerned and worried about ALL OF THE USA, not just my little piece of territory as in where I personally live, when it comes to the unemployment numbers and what we can do to improve them or to have a proper social safety net for those who may very well become long-term unemployable through no fault of their own, but rather through corporate greed when it comes to the abuse of work visas and offshore outsourcing.

Moderator cut: personal debates

Old 11-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Vex

125 posts, read 258,176 times
Quote:
Per that article, the model to be produced here is the next generation, which has a higher top speed of 65 mph
The NXR, per your link, is the model to be manufactured here.
Yes, but I think the company's current products are very relevant, they are certainly not "something else entirely."

Old 11-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
The finance industry of what country? Since you said he is an employee of an Indian company, I would assume India's. Why would they open a branch of their own finance industry in the USA?

Does he do training of other software developers?

Basically the jobs that Indian companies tend to place American employees in are sales jobs (and for each sales job created, there is the potential for thousands of other Americans' jobs to be offshored) and training jobs (training offshore and onsite employment visa personnel, which also is for the purpose of offshoring or using visa labor to the detriment of American workers).
It's a company that writes and sells financial software for banks around the globe. The finance industry is an exceptionally global industry.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
Yes, but I think the company's current products are very relevant, they are certainly not "something else entirely."
My recollection of the video was that a company name wasn't mentioned, though it certainly exaggerates the functionality of the current product.

The G-Wiz does a perfectly good job at what it's designed for, which is not drag racing. They're, like many other companies, working on newer technology, which is advancing very rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area