Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 PM

125 posts, read 432,988 times

Advertisements

fyi-there is construction going on on 81 north in the city of syracuse, to avoid this, I suggest you take 481west just before you reach the ccity...
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapletonb4 View Post
I suggest you take 481west just before you reach the ccity...
Yes - 481 North will take you around downtown itself (heading east at first, then north and west) and head straight into Oswego... the 4 lane highway actually becomes a regular road. It's still a 55mph road but a simple road nonetheless... it's still 481 so don't panic when it does that. Just keep on that same road.

I'd recommend stopping in Tully, which is a few exits south of Syracuse. I think there's only one hotel (small, rural community and everything is right next to the on/off ramps) so no decision making or worrying about a safe place to worry about. It's nice and safe. There's a restaurant in the hotel, an enormous gas station next door, and a Burger King just across the way. Head back out onto 81 North in the morning and take 481 North to Oswego... that exchange is only about 10-15 minutes from the Tully on-ramp. You'll get on the Tully on-ramp, pass LaFayette, Nedrow, and then the 481N exchange/on-ramp will be on the right.

*IF* you decide to go through downtown, keep going straight on 81N and - after the North Syracuse/Mattydale exits - get off on the 481 North exchange. The time difference isn't significant. If you're an ansty person, going the 481 North route *before* downtown would probably be better. If you'd like to see the city of Syracuse, be prepared for some construction and a bit of stop and go but it's really not bad at all.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:54 PM

125 posts, read 432,988 times
yes, that's what I meant 481 North..sorry

Old 11-11-2009, 07:17 PM

288 posts, read 510,171 times
move to oswego...your gonna risk your life driving up to oswego in the winter time...oswego is on a whole different level if you think the Syracuse area is bad with snow...they get pounded...my brother goes to Oswego state by the way and he drove last year from Liverpool but this year he decided to move there for the winter.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Thank you to everyone and your helpful advice! I ended up driving straight up and through to Oswego (using 481 bypass as suggested) when I saw the mileage wasn't as far as I expected. I noted the Tully exit and will keep that in mind if my oldest ends up at SUNY Oswego. Also noticed a few hotels around Cortland (Sorry I was writing Cornell earlier...this college hunt has fried my brain!)

Thanks again -- I feel like you all were my copilots

I stayed at the Econolodge which gave me the government rate (cheapest) as I arrived there after 1 AM. It was very clean, appeared to be recently renovated.

The total trip was 354 miles one way and it took 5.75 hours going up. Coming home was 6.25 hours -- hit traffic in NJ.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Thank you to everyone and your helpful advice! I ended up driving straight up and through to Oswego (using 481 bypass as suggested) when I saw the mileage wasn't as far as I expected. I noted the Tully exit and will keep that in mind if my oldest ends up at SUNY Oswego. Also noticed a few hotels around Cortland (Sorry I was writing Cornell earlier...this college hunt has fried my brain!)

Thanks again -- I feel like you all were my copilots

I stayed at the Econolodge which gave me the government rate (cheapest) as I arrived there after 1 AM. It was very clean, appeared to be recently renovated.

The total trip was 354 miles one way and it took 5.75 hours going up. Coming home was 6.25 hours -- hit traffic in NJ.

I always appreciate it when someone comes back and updates their thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area