Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 03:35 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times

Advertisements

1) Destiny USA Ruling - Appeals Court in Rochester rules in favor of Pyramid and the Destiny USA project over Citibank, see P-S article, news10now report and ruling below

In 3-2 vote, appeals court sides with Destiny USA in battle with bank | News from The Post-Standard -

News 10 Now | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | State Appellate Court rules in favor of Destiny

http://content.news10now.com/syrcontent/pdfs/487623-DestinyRuling.pdf

2) The Veterans Administration will invest in a $90 million dollar, six-story spinal cord facility at the VA Hospital in Syracuse, elliminating the need for veterans to travel to NYC or out of State for treatment.

News 10 Now | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | Spinal cord center for Syracuse VA Hospital

3) The Crunch to stay in Syracuse for 10 more years.

News 10 Now | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | Crunch sign deal to stay at War Memorial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 05:17 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
1) Destiny USA Ruling - Appeals Court in Rochester rules in favor of Pyramid and the Destiny USA project over Citibank, see P-S article, news10now report and ruling below

In 3-2 vote, appeals court sides with Destiny USA in battle with bank | News from The Post-Standard -

News 10 Now | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | State Appellate Court rules in favor of Destiny

http://content.news10now.com/syrcontent/pdfs/487623-DestinyRuling.pdf

2) The Veterans Administration will invest in a $90 million dollar, six-story spinal cord facility at the VA Hospital in Syracuse, elliminating the need for veterans to travel to NYC or out of State for treatment.

News 10 Now | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | Spinal cord center for Syracuse VA Hospital

News 10 Now | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | Crunch sign deal to stay at War Memorial
Maybe things will continue to look up for the area. Good news......

Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,437 times
and this one-

Federal judge approves Onondaga County using green technology to reduce Onondaga Lake pollution | News from The Post-Standard -

Federal judge approves Onondaga County using green technology to reduce Onondaga Lake pollution

Old 11-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Default I just saw that today...

Jeromeville. It really is great news, there are sustainable alternatives to traditional treatments. I really believe that Syracuse is on to something big with its committment and transition to a green-sustainable economy. Thanks for posting the link.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 PM

25 posts, read 66,196 times
Quote:
This is a good thing?

We'll never get a new building now. If no one was renting the place cause it is disgusting and falling apart, perhaps someone might think about replacing it... but now, never.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:10 PM

bkafrick - I think the number one objective for the area is getting a hotel adjacent to the oncenter facility. It is disheartening that Syracuse does not have a state of the art hotel adjacent to its convention center. Many organizations WANT/PREFER to come to Syracuse because of its centralized location. Even without a hotel, Syracuse is still a perferred location:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...on_visitors_b.

http://news10now.com/cny-news-1013-c...o-the-oncenter

Up until 2007, the Oncenter in Syracuse was ranked in the top 15 convention locations in the nation, beating out locations in Orange County, Ca: Washington DC, and San Diego, etc.

http://www.oncenter.org/assets/pdfs/pressreleases/2007-08-20_InnerCircleAward.pdfI (broken link)

I would not rule out a possible replacement for the War Memorial. My only condition would be to incorporate some of its historic value into a final design. I still think a hotel should be priority number one. Maybe both can be completed at the same time?

Old 11-19-2009, 03:29 PM

Final approval expected next week for new downtown Syracuse bus transfer station | News from The Post-Standard -

The CENTRO Transfer Station wil get final approval Monday by the Common Council. I consider the 13 year wait to be unacceptable. I am not blaming CENTRO; Walsh; Driscoll; or the Common Council by any means, I cite the property owner and burdensome Federal regulations as the culprits. 13 years? Come on!

I just wish someone had the forsight to locate the Regional Transportation Center and the Alliance Bank Stadium downtown which would have complimented the Transfer station. In fairness, I am not sure it would have been feasible to relocate the RTC downtown since the rail infrastructure was already in place at the current location.

In any case, it is good to hear the transfer station is moving forward. Now lets get the 300 block of Salina Street redeveloped and extend the success of Armory Square east toward Salina Street.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:38 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Final approval expected next week for new downtown Syracuse bus transfer station | News from The Post-Standard -

The CENTRO Transfer Station wil get final approval Monday by the Common Council. I consider the 13 year wait to be unacceptable. I am not blaming CENTRO; Walsh; Driscoll; or the Common Council by any means, I cite the property owner and burdensome Federal regulations as the culprits. 13 years? Come on!

I just wish someone had the forsight to locate the Regional Transportation Center and the Alliance Bank Stadium downtown which would have complimented the Transfer station. In fairness, I am not sure it would have been feasible to relocate the RTC downtown since the rail infrastructure was already in place at the current location.

In any case, it is good to hear the transfer station is moving forward. Now lets get the 300 block of Salina Street redeveloped and extend the success of Armory Square east toward Salina Street.
Unless there was a way to put it at the Susquehanna building near armory Square and use the adjacent parking already in place close by. You probably would have had to expand the building and the parking, but I don't think it could have been far fetched. I think the stadium could have been built close by as well off of West St. near Onondaga Creek too. If not there, maybe where the Center of Excellence is now located.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:22 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,539 times
That would've been ideal (re: rail station). One of the great advantages of rail travel (other than relative ease of use, without long security-theatre waits) is that most stations are located in downtown areas rather than out in the boonies like airports. But not in Syracuse.

Terrible wasted opportunity. Same with the stadium. Spreading out these assets only serves to make each of them less attractive.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 AM

528 posts, read 1,185,198 times
how realistic do you guys think it is that the destiNY project will be completed as planned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area