Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:29 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuser View Post
Thanks for the links. I normally book from either website. I tried to book a flight out in march and it was outragious! I guess because I was arriving/departing on weekends.
Another part to consider might be that SU's spring break falls in March - so areas south of here are in fairly high demand for flights that time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 09:16 PM

61 posts, read 212,337 times
good point!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:02 PM

25 posts, read 66,196 times
no one "regulates" prices on airlines... airlines charge what they can in the open economy. they charge it here because they can get it. basic supply & demand... low competition.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 PM

Well what can we do about?? I think the city should bring in more competition - i mean lets get real - the main airlines there with the most flight are USairways and Jetblue. I wish we had a cheap airline like Southwest or Spirit.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:20 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,272 times
I actually find Jetblue to be cheaper than Southwest (SW). I have also seen prices lower on USAir into Syracuse. I know SW does not fly into Syracuse, but I have checked similiar dates of travel into or out of Buffalo or Albany. Jetblue was cheaper out of Syracuse. I would not fly into Buffalo or Albany, just wanted to see if the price was competitive. I would consider Rochester which does have AirTran. Since Buffalo and Albany have SW and Rochester has Jetblue and Airtran, Syracuse should try to entice Spirit to its airport. Good luck with that Airport Authority though, I will be retiring in 25 years.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Yeah Air Tran would be great to bring here too

Old 12-12-2009, 06:09 PM

6 posts, read 18,942 times
50% is not bigger. Then Syracuse is not much bigger than Utica.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:23 PM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock11 View Post
50% is not bigger. Then Syracuse is not much bigger than Utica.
Umm, that's not true. Syracuse's metro is about 3 times bigger in population and Syracuse is about 2 and a half times bigger than Utica in city population.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:35 PM

25 posts, read 66,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuser View Post
Well what can we do about?? I think the city should bring in more competition - i mean lets get real - the main airlines there with the most flight are USairways and Jetblue. I wish we had a cheap airline like Southwest or Spirit.
The main airlines of Syracuse are in fact USAirways and Delta. USAirways flies to Boston, LaGuardia, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and Charlotte directly. Delta flies to Detroit, Cincinnati, and Atlanta directly.

JetBlue, on the other hand, only flies to one place really, NYC-JFK. Yes, they also have a direct to Orlando...though you can't get really anywhere else from there.

There is little the city can do to "attract" new airlines. Syracuse just isnt a strong enough economy to support. I suppose they could waive all sorts of taxes, and grant some new airlines a bunch of free construction, and all sorts of rah rah... But it will simply come down to a matter of economics to the airlines... Can they turn a profit. Thats the only question they have.

There have been plenty of "startup" airlines that have graced our city before going out of business altogether. TransMeridian comes to mind. They used to fly direct to Vegas, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale & Tampa. Independence Air flew out of here for a few months. Both airlines went out of business.

I'm sure if Southwest or AirTran felt they could turn a profit in Syracuse, they would attempt to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area