Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 04:38 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times

Advertisements

Syracuse police: Motorists at I-81 downtown detour should use caution, consider alternate routes
Syracuse, NY -- A crumbling building on North State Street that threatens traffic on Interstate 81 north in the city is causing headaches for motorists and Syracuse Police.
A section of I-81 is closed downtown, and Syracuse police say that one of the suggested detours is causing a traffic hazard on Interstate 690 west. They fear that a huge bottleneck could occur when motorists head home after tonight's Syracuse University men's basketball game against Villanova at the Carrier Dome.

Syracuse police: Motorists at I-81 downtown detour should use caution, consider alternate routes |

Should be interesting to see if our new Mayor Minor uses this opportunity to spruce up the facades of buildings next to the highway, clear overgrown brush, and clean litter (if the snow melts in the two weeks) while I-81 is closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
I think that Mayor Miner has more important issues at hand, to say the least, than "prettying up" the buildings next to the highway for passersby.

Hopefully, they can find a way to bring down this old building safely, without damaging any other buildings or endangering pedestrians or motorists. :/

Old 03-03-2010, 03:48 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Syracuse police: Motorists at I-81 downtown detour should use caution, consider alternate routes
Syracuse, NY -- A crumbling building on North State Street that threatens traffic on Interstate 81 north in the city is causing headaches for motorists and Syracuse Police.
A section of I-81 is closed downtown, and Syracuse police say that one of the suggested detours is causing a traffic hazard on Interstate 690 west. They fear that a huge bottleneck could occur when motorists head home after tonight's Syracuse University men's basketball game against Villanova at the Carrier Dome.
Syracuse police: Motorists at I-81 downtown detour should use caution, consider alternate routes |

Should be interesting to see if our new Mayor Minor uses this opportunity to spruce up the facades of buildings next to the highway, clear overgrown brush, and clean litter (if the snow melts in the two weeks) while I-81 is closed.
I-81 just south of Carousel Center looks like a cesspool with vacant buildings, graffiti, and overgrown brush. The graffiti on the side of the Adirondack Colonial Furniture building facing I-81 makes the whole area look blighted. If it wasn't for the poor upkeep, the view of the skyline heading south from the Northern Suburbs looks very good with the dome in the background and the shadows of the downtown skyline and SU Hill. In my opinion the best view of Syracuse coming in from the suburbs is along I-690 heading east from the Western Suburbs and Baldwinsville.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
[quote=RollsRoyce;13142269]I-81 just south of Carousel Center looks like a cesspool with vacant buildings, graffiti, and overgrown brush. The graffiti on the side of the Adirondack Colonial Furniture building facing I-81 makes the whole area look blighted. If it wasn't for the poor upkeep, the view of the skyline heading south from the Northern Suburbs looks very good with the dome in the background and the shadows of the downtown skyline and SU Hill. In my opinion the best view of Syracuse coming in from the suburbs is along I-690 heading east from the Western Suburbs and Baldwinsville.[/quote]

I agree....I like coming down West Genesee towards Downtown too.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:23 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,052 times
It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the road re-opened. Our illustrious Gov. has more pressing things on his mind i'm sure, but someone must step up and get this done. This type of non-sense is one of the reasons people lose faith in government.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
I was reading an article in the Post Standard this morning.

The local government is willing to spend $1M to tear this thing down and indeed, were already planning on it. The property owner won't "allow" access to the building/property unless the government agrees to not seek out reimbursement from him. The government wants him to fix it up or tear it down... he has a bid to fix it, which was submitted to city hall a few days before the collapse. The bid wasn't revealed but it was replacing all the same things that are now gone anyway.

So- if they're willing to *completely* toss $1M on TEARING it down, why not loan him some of that amount to fix the building? Or- if all the property owner wants to do is get out from under it - have him sign the deed over to the city, the city can fix it up, and use it for their own purposes? They can use it as a much-needed community support center, healthcare offices, subcontract it to a residential or commercial developer... so they can then flip it, to get BACK the money that was put out.

Is there NO sense at all? Can someone else better explain their reasoning behind tearing down the building at a total loss, rather than repairing it for some or total gain?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:46 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I was reading an article in the Post Standard this morning.

The local government is willing to spend $1M to tear this thing down and indeed, were already planning on it. The property owner won't "allow" access to the building/property unless the government agrees to not seek out reimbursement from him. The government wants him to fix it up or tear it down... he has a bid to fix it, which was submitted to city hall a few days before the collapse. The bid wasn't revealed but it was replacing all the same things that are now gone anyway.

So- if they're willing to *completely* toss $1M on TEARING it down, why not loan him some of that amount to fix the building? Or- if all the property owner wants to do is get out from under it - have him sign the deed over to the city, the city can fix it up, and use it for their own purposes? They can use it as a much-needed community support center, healthcare offices, subcontract it to a residential or commercial developer... so they can then flip it, to get BACK the money that was put out.

Is there NO sense at all? Can someone else better explain their reasoning behind tearing down the building at a total loss, rather than repairing it for some or total gain?
I don't know, but the buildings along I-81 have so much potential for residential or office usage that you would have thought that this wouldn't have been an issue. Hopefully, this will be solved sooner instead of later.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:41 PM

330 posts, read 1,084,930 times
On the news, the owner said he was willing to let them tear down the building but he still wants to own the land so he can do something else with it. Thats part of the holdup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area