Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times

Advertisements

For various reasons, I want an ereader. I still (and always will) prefer real books, but anyway... I've narrowed my choices down to Nook or Kindle. I don't need anything but a reader, so no ipad. Anyone have either of these?

I would prefer one that accepts various formats like epub, adobe, etc. I would REALLY like one that has a backlit e ink but I don't of any such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
For various reasons, I want an ereader. I still (and always will) prefer real books, but anyway... I've narrowed my choices down to Nook or Kindle. I don't need anything but a reader, so no ipad. Anyone have either of these?

I would prefer one that accepts various formats like epub, adobe, etc. I would REALLY like one that has a backlit e ink but I don't of any such.
You don't want a backlight. That is kind of the point of these things. They are just like books. Backlighting would make it hard to read sitting by the pool. It is more of a strain on the eyes, too, with a backlight.

Personally if I HAD to choose between them (they are both excellent) I would go with the Nook for one reason: you can share books with other people. Cool feature that Amazon says they are not going to implement.

Can't go wrong with either one though. Tip: I would NOT spend the extra money on the 3G version of either e-reader. Wifi is all you should need to get books.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 AM

407 posts, read 1,558,462 times
Default I'm a Kindle fan...

I agree about the back-lit comment - it is not something you should look for. That feature will strain your eyes and you'll probably have problems reading outside or in sunlight.

I have to admit to being a Kindle fan, and I have the international version so I can travel overseas and still use it. You can also convert some other forms of ebooks to be read on the Kindle. I have no first-hand experience, but from what I read the Nook will not let you download books overseas, even by computer, so that was a deal-killer for me.

I do wish that Kindle would adopt the "borrowing" feature, but you never know! If both have money-back guarantees, you might want to take each of them for a test drive and get the one you like best. At worst, you'll be out the price of a book on each format... and you can test the ease of browsing for and downloading books for each.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Also forgot to mention the Nook supports Overdrive media.
In other words you can electronically borrow books from your local library if it uses the Overdrive Media software. Kindle does not.
That's a huge plus for the Nook.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:49 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
In every side by side comparison I have seen the Kindle wins on overall quality and selection of books. It isn't a huge advantage but the Kindle usually is preferred.

It is true you cannot share your books through Amazon. However you can install Kindle reader software on your PC, iPhone, Blackberry, and Android phones. In a sense you can read the same book in multiple places simultaneously.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss 3G. If you are a traveler, 3G could be valuable in airports where wifi is still typically not free. 3G is super convenient with the Kindle.

Note Amazon just dropped the price significantly.

e-Ink cannot have a backlight. It would need a "front" light. e-Ink displays are highly readable and not as tiring as displays like the iPad.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:27 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
hoffdano, my phone can become a wireless hotspot anywhere, so I don't really need to pay the extra for 3G. But that is a good point.

I think I'm leaning toward the Nook. My husband says he doesn't want one, but he always ends up wanting whatever new gadget I get, and he likes to read a lot of the same books. so trading would be cool... Plus, my library has about 60,000 (and growing) volumes of downloadable books, so that would be AWESOME.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
hoffdano, my phone can become a wireless hotspot anywhere, so I don't really need to pay the extra for 3G. But that is a good point.

I think I'm leaning toward the Nook. My husband says he doesn't want one, but he always ends up wanting whatever new gadget I get, and he likes to read a lot of the same books. so trading would be cool... Plus, my library has about 60,000 (and growing) volumes of downloadable books, so that would be AWESOME.
Books can be shared amongst Kindles in an account - I share with my husband, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law. Take a look at how the Nook shares books - one ebook at a time and only for 14 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets