U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 PM

21,964 posts, read 38,416,865 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about getting one of the above items listed, and wondered if any of you have any positive or negative experiences so far with them? I like the compatability, versatility, and price for these devices as they are all at or under $200 with built in 3G and WIFI.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 PM

36,526 posts, read 63,543,405 times
We just got home with the WiFi Nook from B & N.

Impulse purchase for the Mrs, so she can try it for two weeks.
@ $149.00 + extras, it was fairly compelling.

With WiFi, I saw little reason to consider $50 more for the WiFi + 3G. 3G is just too spotty here.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We just got home with the WiFi Nook from B & N.

Impulse purchase for the Mrs, so she can try it for two weeks.
@ $149.00 + extras, it was fairly compelling.

With WiFi, I saw little reason to consider $50 more for the WiFi + 3G. 3G is just too spotty here.
Let me know the pros and cons so far since you just got it!

Right now, I am leaning more toward the Ipod Touch as it appears to have a ton of functionality and features for the price. Is it still true you have to pay per song on Itunes? How much in the way of "free" music exists on Itunes? Thanks.

GS

Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 PM

44,267 posts, read 56,435,732 times
I got a Kindle for an xmas present (12/2009). I like it ok. I think I pretty much would only use it to travel. We don't buy many books as it is, and we really prefer holding the real thing. We use the local library much, much more...probably once or twice a week.

I find these electronic readers slow my reading speed down too much, too.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:23 AM

36,526 posts, read 63,543,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Let me know the pros and cons so far since you just got it!

Right now, I am leaning more toward the Ipod Touch as it appears to have a ton of functionality and features for the price. Is it still true you have to pay per song on Itunes? How much in the way of "free" music exists on Itunes? Thanks.

GS
My wife read for hours yesterday, and liked the function of the Nook and the general reading experience.

We could not get books to download via USB on a computer yesterday, and they had told us the Nook had that capability. Will have to research further.

I opened my wife's account and downloaded onto my Evo smartphone, and it was very quick. I can read news on the phone, and book pages, although the pages are low in content.

Downloading books to the computer was easy, but reading on the computer was just OK. Sitting at a desk is not the same as curling up with a Nook... But I think using the computer will be a great way to manage purchases and organization of the "library" via the B&N website.

The Nook can handle up to 1500 average books, has a replaceable micro SD card and battery.
I liked that any book can be "archived" on the account, meaning once owned, B&N will let her keep the title active on their server, and she can download it again any time. My wife likes to go back and re-read titles several times, and years later, and will use this function.

We have the 14 day trial period within which we can take it back. I may lean towards popping the $50 extra and getting the 3G version. If it worked on Spring 4G, I would for sure.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 AM

12,776 posts, read 14,908,913 times
My vote is for the Nook because supposedly it supports Overdrive Audio. My local library uses Overdrive Audio to allow you to download books over the internet. Very sweet. Have used that on other platforms for years. Check your library. most do this. Although I would be a little worried because B&N is having trouble now and is supposedly up for sale.

iPod Touch is too small to really enjoy as a reader plus it is backlit which defeats the purpose of an ereader I think. And, yes, iTunes tracks are still $1.29-$.99 each. FREE music on iTunes is, imo, mostly garbage and not much of it.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,055 posts, read 34,620,273 times
I have the iPod Touch. The advantage over the other two devices, from my perspective, is that it's pocket-sized. If you use reading glasses, you might not consider its smaller screen to be an advantage.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
My vote is for the Nook because supposedly it supports Overdrive Audio. My local library uses Overdrive Audio to allow you to download books over the internet. Very sweet. Have used that on other platforms for years. Check your library. most do this. Although I would be a little worried because B&N is having trouble now and is supposedly up for sale.

iPod Touch is too small to really enjoy as a reader plus it is backlit which defeats the purpose of an ereader I think. And, yes, iTunes tracks are still $1.29-$.99 each. FREE music on iTunes is, imo, mostly garbage and not much of it.
I thought I read somewhere that the Nook cannot download PDF files? May be wrong on that one. I am not a really high tech person so I was wondering how the Overdrive Audio function works? Can you download directly from B&N via a USB directly to the device. I heard that some books and other items can be uploaded for free on the Nook.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:34 PM

35,104 posts, read 43,799,420 times
I have a Kindle and I love it and carry it with me all the time. I don't do music downloads or internet outside of my desk top or laptop so those were not considerations for me. I wanted the kindle for reading and I like the fact that anything on the Kindle can be DL to my desktop so I can read while sitting at my desk or carry it with me when I am gone. The Kindle has saved me from many boring waits in waiting rooms and long drives.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,774,837 times
Have a Nook and really like it so far... oh and it views PDFs just fine. Even better it can handle the DRM PDFs so you can download from your library or any other source that uses protected PDF format to distribute their books.

The big pluses for me are the size which is big enough to be easy to read but small enough to be easy to handle and travel with. Haven't tried the overdrive audio but was going to since I'd like to check out audio books too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or