Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:44 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,964,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Actually next month Apple's releasing the new software update which includes wireless printing for the IPad.Right now there's several 3rd party apps.which allow wireless printing,all you need to do is search the app store.
Next month, eh? Nonetheless, that was a major oversight in the development; if it wasn't an Apple product, I don't think so many folks would have accepted this major flaw.

FWIW, since I don't own an iPad (or any Apple product made within the past 10 years), it wouldn't make sense to be searching the app store on any basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 12:58 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,157,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i allways have had a window base laptop to do what i call the basic things that a person use a computer for ---shop the internet and surf the web for there own personal viewing taste--check emails and send emails--played a few games like card and chess games on the laptop for iam not a hardcore gamer type person .--watch movies and tv and listen to music on the laptop ..

for at the time my laptop computer travel backpack weighed in at the wieght of 23.pds total wieght that i carried with me all the time with it small compact printer and scanner and other items i need to make the unit into my own personal small home office set up when traveling .. .

now the ipad has it taken the place of the laptop and i went back to a desktop for all but the hardcore things like printing watching tv on the desktop and shopping and surfing the web as it need along with printing out things here and there ..

for the ipad does all the basic things that i need to do when away from the house ..-- checking the emails and sending emails ----surfing the web and shopping here and there ----playing the games i have on the ipad ---listening to music ----i do not really watch movies as much as i used to but that ok..---read the news on the ipad-----keep track of my personal book and dvd collections and other collections through some applications from the i-tunes store.---some other things like food list and cloths list for packing and other items all put onto the ipad for use as they are need in my travels ...

the fact with the ipad i have cut down the amount of items i need to carry when traveling with the ipad and access items.for now traveling is with my small carrying on garment bag and ipad bag for getting on and off a plane or train at times and it makes it a lot easlyer to deal with the crowds of a place when haveing to walk through the airport or train station to get out of the place..

plus i need longer have to try to read the small smart phone screen trying to get info that way ..the screen size of the ipad was the biggest saleing point for me at the time when i bought it was the fact that the apple iphone i had the screen made it hard to read applications i had at times without a lot of scrolling through the page size to get to the meat of the subect.

plus with some of the applications i have on the ipad like the book library program it make finding out if i own a book when looking at the library for the aurther and title look up in the program or it a new just come out book and i do not have the book yet..so far the program has saved me about $.100,oo dollars from buying a book i allready have.. for a $.2.98.program from the i-tunes store it does it work for you instead of you working for the program .

so here is my list that i carry in the cocoon harlem ipad travel sling bag i bought to carry the ipad and access items..

-x-ipad with soft rubber cover
-x-ipad power cord combo model that can be used in a car and regular electrical outlets in the house and work or in a hotel room etc etc etc
-x-earphones in own carrying case..
-x-screen cleaning cloth in own bag

then add the other items
-x-spare cell phone power cord with a cig lighter plug in set up for use in the car
-x-reading glass with hardshell travel case
-x-misc personal med items
-x-misc over the counter type meds for use as they are need
-x-blood sugar checker deivice with it items in own carrying case..
-x-ironkey usb secured stowage device if i really need to use a computer to check something out i have a set of website or check my accounts i need to move a money around in .. i stop in kinkos and use there computer system and use the ironkey on the system to keep my secured accounts from haveing problems ..
-x-plus a couple of odds and ends things that we all seam to collect here and there

all packed into the bag ..i weighed the bag one day to see how much it wieghed and it at just over 5.1./2.pds total now that a lot better than to have to carry around 23.pds of laptop and it computer access to get things done ..

the thing is if you open the mind just a little to the apple ipad and use it as a second brian like i do you will find it alot better than other devices that are out there and yes i know it a little bigger than a normal smart phone but it works for me because of the screen size and beening able to read the screen size..

when i go shopping for food at the grocery store i make out a grocery list on the ipad kitchen pantry application from standing in front of the fridge and shelfs and makeing notes onto the ipad ..so when i walk through the door at my local safeway or frys food and drug or costco or sam club etc etc ..i just pull up the list and it saves me time and money for i know what i have to get for house and not spend time running up and down the grocery aisles trying to something that i have forgotten and trying to remember it .. ..
Nice sales pitch, the only thing you didn't give was the name of your website where you sell them.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:30 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,798,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Next month, eh? Nonetheless, that was a major oversight in the development; if it wasn't an Apple product, I don't think so many folks would have accepted this major flaw.

FWIW, since I don't own an iPad (or any Apple product made within the past 10 years), it wouldn't make sense to be searching the app store on any basis.

So you're telling me Microsoft doesn't add updates to their software,they introduce it being 100% perfected?How many service packs did Windows XP have? It's actually the same software that the new IPhone and IPod touch just came out with so how could Apple have perfected it back in April when the IPad launched?

Yes,searching the app store is extremely difficult,you need to be a genius to find the search bar in the upper right corner!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
So you're telling me Microsoft doesn't add updates to their software,they introduce it being 100% perfected?How many service packs did Windows XP have? It's actually the same software that the new IPhone and IPod touch just came out with so how could Apple have perfected it back in April when the IPad launched?
I was talking about the major oversight of not including the print function in the first place, not service packs and updates for the bugs and security holes that are inherent in many initial releases.

Or in some cases, fourth generation. Got duct tape?

(And before anyone gets in a tizzy, the word of the day is 'sarcasm'.)

Quote:
Yes,searching the app store is extremely difficult,you need to be a genius to find the search bar in the upper right corner!
Again, why would anyone be looking at an app store for a product they don't own? It's like shopping for Nismo or TRD parts, even though one drives a Chevy. That just doesn't make sense.

Look - if an iPad is working out for you, that's fine. But my counter is that it's not some perfect "I can replace everything and make your life easier" device that some folks seem to infer it is, nor that it's a true mobile office replacement that it was purported in this thread because it's no apples-to-oranges comparison when the before included a printer and scanner with their laptop and after was just the iPad. And once again, pun intended.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,798,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake;
I was talking about the major oversight of not including the print function in the first place, not service packs and updates for the bugs and security holes that are inherent in many initial releases.

Or in some cases, fourth generation. Got duct tape?

(And before anyone gets in a tizzy, the word of the day is 'sarcasm'.)

Again, why would anyone be looking at an app store for a product they don't own? It's like shopping for Nismo or TRD parts, even though one drives a Chevy. That just doesn't make sense.

Look - if an iPad is working out for you, that's fine. But my counter is that it's not some perfect "I can replace everything and make your life easier" device that some folks seem to infer it is, nor that it's a true mobile office replacement that it was purported in this thread because it's no apples-to-oranges comparison when the before included a printer and scanner with their laptop and after was just the iPad. And once again, pun intended.

The IPad was never intended to replace a computer and those who think it was need to research it more,you know what they say about those who ASSume. There are many functions it can do with a few downloaded Apps.,Drop Box will allow you access to all your files from your main computer. It's not a full replacement but a great alternative at times.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,435,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I counted at least 32 improperly spelled words in this post, not too mention errors in English grammar. That makes it very hard for me to take it seriously that you are given any authority over network security. Perhaps English isn't a second language. In any case, it seems pointless to continue bragging about how you put this device to such simple uses.

BTW, I can do all the things you mention you do with your iPad with the Netbook I bought at a yard sale for under $100.

no iam not bagging about the device it a simple unit and it going to be the device of the future in the circles of learning for the up and comeing school age kids so for the people here with kids your going to see it in there future in the next couple of years ..

for the schools system out here where i live have started this year with the 8th grade class and up to use ipad preloaded with the school classroom book preloaded onto the ipad and it issused to the 8th grade student and up students instead of the schools books to have for the classroom and it lighted up the kids backpack set up ..

there is about four or five diff schools out here isusseing them allready to replace the books that are used in the classroom ..the school are saying that the money that is saved over buying new books every year will be in the millions of dollars they are saying ..

no i was born here ..but since i have to work with guys and gals who speak 8 diff languages at work.. along with iam one of 10 people who work there can at least speak the following langauges of the big four workers..-- spanish --korean-- basic chinese -- russia-- along with my country english as the spoken at work along with the local native american indian words i had to learn also ..iam still learning basic chinese right now for iam trying to get the whole langauge down to a basic level plus i can read write in german and russia and english from my travels in the military ....so when i come home iam not really ready to think in english or write in english ..

Last edited by henry1; 10-05-2010 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-05-2010, 08:26 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,435,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Nice sales pitch, the only thing you didn't give was the name of your website where you sell them.
try this places .Apple .or www. amazon .com ..

Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,118,291 times
This is an amazing product!! Hmm and its American!! So I wounder how long it will take Sony, Toshiba ect. to try and make there own tablet? Sure they're already in the works.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 PM

20,272 posts, read 37,040,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
This is an amazing product!! Hmm and its American!! So I wounder how long it will take Sony, Toshiba ect. to try and make there own tablet? Sure they're already in the works.
Yes, they are. The same thing happened when Apple created the iPhone. Apple has been a step ahead of the game, but Google is putting a lot of pressure on Apple. I still believe that Apple will continue ahead, because that's what they have done for a few years now, and because it may soon be the most valuable company on the market. It passed MS a few weeks ago, and now it has reached Exxon.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
This is an amazing product!! Hmm and its American!!
Well, as American as any other product with the "Made in China" stamp on the back ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets