U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 PM

313 posts, read 704,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I'd buy an iPad before I'd buy either of these. Its far more useful and versatile and you can download the Kindle APP free. Apple - iPad - The best way to see the web, email, and photos.

I have an iPad and an original kindle. For reading, nothing beats e-Ink. I can't stand to read a book on the iPad
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 04:11 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,035,215 times
I have neither.

I do read a few books a month and a few newspapers per day, however.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 PM

8,609 posts, read 17,266,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
The microprocessor inside of the kindle is made by Freescale and Freescale has its headquarters in Austin.
The processor inside the iPad (A4) was developed in Austin too. The Intel Atom (inside netbooks and the upcoming Duo tablet/netbook) was also designed here.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:13 PM

368 posts, read 782,077 times
I think I am leading towards the Kindle. A friend of mine said that B&N is having financial problems, which makes me concerned about the future of B&N.

I do like all of the features of the Nook, although I've heard that it has a couple of technical problems. I've read that they have excellent technical support.

I'm still going back and forth between the two. Thank you all for your input. Please continue to post.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 PM

509 posts, read 1,385,216 times
DH and I both have Kindles and we've really enjoyed them. I bought his over a year ago as a gift and wasn't sure if he would like it or not. He's actually used it so much that he ended up damaging the screen somehow. We had the extended warranty so he contacted them, shipped it back and we received a new one in the mail. They were really easy to deal with. I'd highly recommend the Kindle.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:57 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,924,373 times
Honestly, I think it depends what you are looking for. I think if you read a LOT, a regular Nook or Kindle is what you want. If you want more multimedia abilities and aren't as avid a reader, look at either the Nook Color or the iPad. As I already said before, I am planning to use it for the nifty kid's book functions, to browse magazines and an occasional book or two. I wish I were as avid a reader as I used to be, but such is life.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 PM

62 posts, read 188,342 times
Kindle, 2nd gen. LOVE IT.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,053 times
I have a Sony E-reader and I love it.

You can buy ebooks through the Sony store and Borders. On top of that you can borrow ebooks from the library (I haven't gotten around to that part yet, eventhough it was one of the reasons I picked Sony!)

Old 11-21-2010, 01:19 AM

194 posts, read 399,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I have a Kindle II; it's great. I don't know what it has to do with Austin, though.
That's funny. Austin is so hipster that I wasn't surprised a bit to see this thread in the Austin forum.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 AM

308 posts, read 529,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
nice!

Oh, and for the new comers that are looking to move here to Austin. They are hiring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets