Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,472 times

Advertisements

I may get a laptop this summer, but I'm increasingly curious about tablets. It's not a life and death issue by any means, but it does look appealing.

Here's my profile: Male, Grad student, 29. I work, but will not be using the laptop for work, though I may for school.

Casual usage: Surfing, reading blogs, watching streaming netflix (although I try to do that on a computer very little).

Wants: Wireless connectivity with other wireless devices, able to plug into a TV or to another computer.

What I do NOT want or what is irrelevant:
Paying an additional monthly fee in addition to my existing home internet connection and my existing cellphone.

But anyway, it's not just about me though I'm curious for those who have tablets what sort of fun are you having? Any lifestyle changes? Is reading on it ok, or do you get screen fatigue? That's my one dilemma. I'd love to reduce books and papers in the house, but also I don't want to be glued onto a screen my entire life.....

For those of you that are still not on board with tablets, what has prevented you from getting onto them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Isn't a tablet kind of like a big cell phone that you can't make telephone calls with?
Heard the Ipad 2 also doesn't come with a USB port.

What's wrong with a lightweight mini laptop or very thin laptop for the same price? You can do anything with it - it's a real computer.

In all honesty, I don't own, nor have a ever used a tablet. Who knows, if I tried one I might like it but I'm too cheap to buy one. I already own a dell mini 10 with a 3G wireless service for surfing the net while I ride to and from work in my vanpool. Works great and there are no limitations.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Isn't a tablet kind of like a big cell phone that you can't make telephone calls with?
Heard the Ipad 2 also doesn't come with a USB port.

What's wrong with a lightweight mini laptop or very thin laptop for the same price? You can do anything with it - it's a real computer.

In all honesty, I don't own, nor have a ever used a tablet. Who knows, if I tried one I might like it but I'm too cheap to buy one. I already own a dell mini 10 with a 3G wireless service for surfing the net while I ride to and from work in my vanpool. Works great and there are no limitations.
I agree. I've played with the ipad but can't bring myself to spend $500+++ on a device with such limited uses. I have an ipod touch and once the novelty wore off, it mostly sits there. I have a smartphone so I can access apps, email, and the web from anywhere since it fits in my pocket. Tablets don't fit in pockets so you have to make a decision whether or not to bring it somewhere.

I also have a netbook (10" Asus with a dual core Atom, 2GB, 250GB, Win7) and for $100 less than the cheapest ipad, I have a real computer with a real keyboard. Also, not being made of glass, it feels much less fragile. It also stands up on its own.

If I were a big long form book reader, I'd probably have a Kindle. The e-ink is less fatiguing on the eyes than any emissive display. It also weighs less than a magazine, is dirt cheap, and feels very rugged.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:27 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
I have everything from a 10" netbook to a 15.6" Thinkpad W520 w/Core i7 processor, and I bought my girlfriend a 32GB iPad for Xmas. I've also owned an iPhone and currently use a Droid 2. The iPad is great for consuming content while sitting on the couch watching TV, or while eating breakfast. The iPad is not a substitute for a general purpose computer, but if I'm not sitting behind the desk in my home office, I'm probably just consuming content, not creating it, and for that, I really like the tablet. The form factor, battery life and ability to decode high bitrate H.264 make it much preferable to a netbook for taking on a plane.

If what you need is a computer you should get a computer, but I find there are many times where what I want is a giant smartphone, minus the phone, not a laptop.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
The IPad is an entertainment device.

How much do you want to spend to be entertained?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
it is also production device and capable of writing docs, spreadsheets, powerpoint-like presentations, simple video editing. Music composing. You can even build websites on one if you wanted to.

There are even applications for doing vector illustrations and photo editiing

Your only limited if your mind/imagination is limited.

Most people do not use their computers for anything more than the simplest tasks and web browsing anyway.

Im getting one over the summer. All i need is the WiFi version. I wish they made tethering to a hand-held easier and less expensive (yes, I know there are work arounds).

Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 PM

25 posts, read 63,039 times
So hubby and I both have laptops, he has a Nook - the color one - and loves it. He hated reading books, but loves reading the Nook. I got a droid phone at Christmas - LOVE IT !! Would LOVE to have it as a tablet - since I do a lot on the internet. Trying to get my website going etc etc .... I would really be tempted to get a tablet - why ??
Flexible, portable, larger screen than a phone, mobile so I can update my Scentsy inventory immediately while I am at a fair or event - instead of trying to carry a laptop with me.
Why have I not got it yet ?? I want a phone included in the tablet. What do I mean ? Give me a phone with a bluetooth in the tablet. So I can stick a bluetooth headset in my ear, keep my tablet in proximity and use it as a portable laptop and phone - ALL IN ONE !!
That's when I will get a tablet.
If you want to see my website ... you can see it on my profile if you are interested.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
It'll work for content producers, but it really shines for content consumers. If you want a device to use in your comfy chair at home that'll also fit in your briefcase to take to meetings, a tablet is the right tool for those jobs.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
you can set up a skype or google voice account and turn a 3g or 4g tablet into a phone.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 PM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times
I've avoided smartphones for years now. Just have no "need" for it. But everytime I'm waiting for my wife somewhere, I always borrow her Iphone to do stuff. I never bring a laptop or netbook. Too much of a bother.

While using her Iphone, I inevitably find myself thinking, I wish it had larger screen. So I guess I'm a good candidate for an Ipad. The form factor is excellent.Holding it in one hand like a book or folder is so much easier than having a netbook or laptop on my lap or having to find a flat surface to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
... You're only limited if your mind/imagination is limited ....
That about sums it up!

Apple - iPad in Business - Profiles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets