Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Still not upgradable.
Still no flash support
Still no USB
Still no power
Still incredibly limited storage
Still can't connect to a truly secure network infrastructure
Still too brand-specific
Still nothing but an overpriced toy that people desperate for attention will buy because an advertising campaign has convinced them that owning it will somehow make them more interesting as a person.
I wonder if Ipad owners meet more chicks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Still not upgradable.
Still no flash support
Still no USB
Still no power
Still incredibly limited storage
Still can't connect to a truly secure network infrastructure
Still too brand-specific
Still nothing but an overpriced toy that people desperate for attention will buy because an advertising campaign has convinced them that owning it will somehow make them more interesting as a person.
I have not had to upgrade my imac (except for a replacement HD)
Flash is a dying technology
USB connector via the standard 30 pin plug. Does have blue tooth and wiFi
Storage to the cloud
Apple is a strong brand. so whats the problem? Everything works
I constantly use my ipod touch when travelling . could use a bigger screen. Not a toy.

The ONLY relevant point is about connecting to a secure network.

Did you also whine about Apple not including a 3.5 floppy drive in their early iMacs?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
^I'd take the 30 seconds to rebut every point above as I did in a previous post, but I now see you're an Applebot, and one thing I've learned over the years is it's pointless to argue with an Applebot. They always *think* they know a lot more than they do and will twist facts in their minds to make their point of view valid no matter how absurd.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
What booking site uses Flash? Most businesses are moving away from Flash for business transactions since it has security issues, and since so many devices don't support it anymore.
It wasn't the booking site it was the VIRTUAL TOUR IN 3-D of the Hotel Room on the Hotel site.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
^I'd take the 30 seconds to rebut every point above as I did in a previous post, but I now see you're an Applebot, and one thing I've learned over the years is it's pointless to argue with an Applebot. They always *think* they know a lot more than they do and will twist facts in their minds to make their point of view valid no matter how absurd.
No, I enjoy apple products. I think the OS is vastly superior to any windows system. I use a windows platform for about 45 percent of my work. I know what I am talking about work

I think the Android OS has very good selling points. I just don't like the hardware that I have seen.

Typical IT/PC mentality.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Still not upgradable.

Seriously, what is wrong with people?!?!I can guarantee you of the 15 MILLION people that bought an iPad... no one bought it because they thought they would somehow be cooler.

I really don't understand the Apple hate. Why do you even care? Obviously YOU are not the target market for this device, or the Android tablet like the Motorola Xoom.... but, as Apple has CLEARLY shown, there is a market for it. And personally before I passed judgement on the iPad... guess what I did. Can ya' guess?
I USED ONE! Hey, what a crazy idea, eh?

Let me preface this by saying: I am not an Apple head. I actually don't like Apple at all. I own a Droid phone and Windows computers.

But ya' know what shocked me when I tried my friends iPad back in November?!? I liked it! Crazy, huh?
It's a pretty perfect device for the AVERAGE consumer that doesn't care about plugging in devices via USB and it's WAY smaller and WAY easier to carry around then a laptop. It's like carrying a clipboard.

The problem with folks like you is that you expect, nay demand, that any tablet be a complete replacement for a laptop. Well, it's not. But for many it certainly is.
Want to listen to music? You can do that on an iPad.
Sure the net? Check.
Watch Netflix? Check.
Read and write email? No problem.
Facebook? Easily ...and honestly I prefer the iPhone/Android apps to the "normal" FB page.

Give it a rest, man.

Last edited by Peregrine; 03-03-2011 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Seriously, what is wrong with people?!?!I can guarantee you of the 15 MILLION people that bought an iPad... no one bought it because they thought they would somehow be cooler.
Yeah, right. And I've got a bridge in New York for sale. Apple products are status symbols. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't make a single product that someone else doesn't maker a better version of. And those competitors with the superior product almost universally charge significantly less for their offerings. People buy Apple products because of bright and shiny marketing campaigns. For the same reason you can go to a conference where Apple is providing a keynote and lose count of how many black turtlenecks you see.

Quote:
I really don't understand tha Apple hate. Why do you even care?
I don't. But this is a discussion forum, and as an expert in the field, I have a perspective on this device that could save someone from wasting hundreds of dollars on a useless object.

Quote:
Obviously YOU are not the target market for this device, or the Android tablet like the Motorola Xoom.... but, as Apple has CLEARLY shown, there is a market for it.
Apple has shown that they can get people to buy one. Apple has shown that if they slap one of their logos onto a dog turd and get their great cult leader Steve to proclaim it to be the best thing ever, they could get it to sell. Apple sells image. Apple sells the image of being hip and of being savvy. They sell an idea. They're the Louis Vitton of the tech world. Just like LV's bags are no more functional than Guess's, Apple products are no more functional than Company X's offerings.

Not that there's a market for them. I live in Seattle, one of the most tech crazy cities in the entire country. Know how many iPads I see? About 1 a week. Maybe. On a good week.

Quote:
And personally before I passed judgement on the iPad... guess what I did. Can ya' guess?
I USED ONE! Hey, what a crazy idea, eh?
I used one, too. For about 3 weeks. Won one at an NCA security conference in Bellevue late last year. Ended up putting it up for sale on Craigslist, because it was no more functional than my phone (but bigger), and significantly less functional than my laptop (but not so small that it was easier to carry around). Almost useless toy. The only purpose I could find for it was that I could pull up my Solarwinds Orion web console for network monitoring on it while out in the field to ensure that there were no significant outages on my company's network - but I can do that with a laptop, as well.

Quote:
It's a pretty perfect device for the AVERAGE consumer that doesn't care about plugging in devices via USB and it's WAY smaler and WAY easier to carry around then a laptop. It's like carrying a clipboard.
The average consumer still uses CD's, DVD's, USB attached devices (thumb drives, external hard drives, etc.). Apple can't accommodate any of those. And it's no easier to carry around than a laptop. Know why? Because it doesn't fit in your pocket. You STILL have to put it in a bag of some sort, just like a laptop. And since you also have to lug around things like a keyboard to plug into the thing if you actually want to be able to type more than 30 words a minute, it's actually LESS convenient.

Quote:
The problem with folks like you is that you expect, nay demand, that any tablet be a complete replacement for a laptop.
No, that's not the demand at all. The demand is that it serve a purpose that isn't filled with another device, or that it provide functionality on par with another device. And it fails.

Quote:
Want to listen to music? You can do that on an iPad.
Or a netbook. Or an Android phone. Or a laptop.
Quote:
Sure the net? Check.
Quote:
Watch Netflix? Check.
Or a netbook. Or an Android phone. or a laptop.
Quote:
Read and write email? No problem.
Or a netbook. or an Android phone. Or a laptop.
Quote:
Facebook? Easily ...and honestly I prefer the iPhone/Android apps to the "normal" FB page.

(And seriously, have you not figured out how to make your smartphone not default to m.facebook.com and instead load the full site? And you're gonna talk to me about tech?)

Quote:
Give it a rest, man.
Done and done. Your entire rant has been invalidated.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Xanathos you are just digging a hole. Give it up.

I use Apple computers because I am a graphic designer. It has nothing to do with status.

I work with other designers and more than anything, font compatibility is essential. Even with OTF, there are slight differences between PC and Mac in the way fonts are rendered. That can easily ruin a $20,000 print job.

I also think the OS is superior, but thats subjective an has nothing to do with status.

I dare you to find an off-the-shelf PC that has the same hi-quality case, monitor, keyboard for the same price. Then add in fully functional apple applications that you can use right out of the box. TextEdit alone is a better word processor than MS word doc.

If you are even aware of the capabilities of tablets or smart phones you should know that almost every popular website has a FREE browser-independent application that usually works better than the defacto site.

Are you still an advocate of IE6?

Last edited by DinsdalePirahna; 03-03-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Done and done. Your entire rant has been invalidated.

Quote:
They don't make a single product that someone else doesn't maker a better version of.
Really? When Apple came out with the first iPhone, who made a similar product? hmmmm. Oh, that's right. NO ONE.
And when Apple came out with the first online Music store, how many competitors did it have with the same business model? Oh, that's right. NO ONE.
And when the first iPad came out, who had anything remotely similar? Oh wait ...a tiny little company named Archos had a cool little product that was a little similar but it was half the size.
So really NO ONE DID.

I do agree that companies came out with superior products AFTER Apple created the MARKET for them!
There's no denying that.

Quote:
And those competitors with the superior product almost universally charge significantly less for their offerings.
Someone forgot to tell Motorola that, as the Xoom is hundreds more then the iPad. If the Xoom was $499 I might get one. Since it is.. what $799??? I am considering an iPad for my wife.

Quote:
People buy Apple products because of bright and shiny marketing campaigns.
This I will totally give you. Apple got to where they are now because they market better then almost everyone. This is how the MP3 player got "Kleenexed" as the "iPod".

Quote:
Not that there's a market for them. I live in Seattle, one of the most tech crazy cities in the entire country. Know how many iPads I see? About 1 a week. Maybe. On a good week.
Proving what exactly? So maybe people leave them at home?

Quote:
Ended up putting it up for sale on Craigslist, because it was no more functional than my phone (but bigger)
Um... MUCH bigger. Kind of THE POINT.

Quote:
and significantly less functional than my laptop (but not so small that it was easier to carry around).
Because you can't put it in your pocket? Really? It's about 4 lbs lighter then my laptop and 1/3rd as thick. Certainly MUCH easier to carry around. And with a 8-12 hour battery life ALL I need to carry around is it. No power cables, no mice, no big bulky bag... just something smaller then a hardcover book. Awesome for traveling.
You don't even have to remove it from your bag going through security like a laptop.

Quote:
The average consumer still uses CD's, DVD's,
The average consumer is buying music electronically at iTunes or Amazon.com. CD's are going buh-bye. As are DVD's. There is a huge market out there getting away from media like that. Hmmm, notice these Netbooks you keep talking about ALSO don't have Optical Drives?
(And please don't say "Oh, yea but you can plug one in via USB". Great ANOTHER thing to carry around.)

Quote:
USB attached devices (thumb drives, external hard drives, etc.). Apple can't accommodate any of those.
So? If that is something you need to be able to do: maybe a Netbook IS for you. What don't you get about the market for tablets, in general, and the iPad? It's for the person that ONLY wants to do: music, internet, email, facebook, games, and other 100's of apps that you can get.
It's not REALLY designed for editing documents (although you certainly could). It's not for EVERYONE... but it IS for many.

Quote:
Because it doesn't fit in your pocket. You STILL have to put it in a bag of some sort, just like a laptop.
No. NOT just like a laptop. A big ass shoulder strap laptop bag to carry around an iPad in? No. How about carrying it... like you would a book. At 1.5 lbs (and iPad2 even lighter) it really isn't as incovenient as, say, carrying a laptop like that would be.

Quote:
And since you also have to lug around things like a keyboard to plug into the thing if you actually want to be able to type more than 30 words a minute, it's actually LESS convenient.
I can type just fine on a virtual keyboad. I am typing emails or into web pages or on FB... not dictation for my boss. 15 MILLION people seem to agree.

Quote:
Or a netbook. Or an Android phone. or a laptop.
Or a netbook. or an Android phone. Or a laptop.
But I don't want a 5 lb Netbook. Or a tiny little Droid screen (watching a moive on that??? *shudder*). Or a big laptop with a mouse, powercables and that huge bag.

Quote:
(And seriously, have you not figured out how to make your smartphone not default to m.facebook.com and instead load the full site? And you're gonna talk to me about tech?)
Um... what part of "I like the app" do you not get? I LOVE the Android FB app and is really the sole reason I even got on Facebook in the first place.
I don't want the FB mobile site. I do everything I need from that little app.

For someone who is an IT Professional (as am I) I am shocked that you don't see any market at all for this.
I know a lot of people currently tethered to laptops that would be much better served by any kind of tablet, including the iPad.

Now please... as I said, though it may be hard to tell, I really am NOT a fan of Apple. Never owned an Apple product...
Hell most would call me an Android fanatic and... as unpopular as this might be to say I LOVE Microsoft!!

So please.. let it go. Stop making me defend the iPad. k?
It's a decent product. There is a market. Let it go man.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:48 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,247 times
Quote:
Apple products are status symbols. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't make a single product that someone else doesn't maker a better version of. And those competitors with the superior product almost universally charge significantly less for their offerings. People buy Apple products because of bright and shiny marketing campaigns.
No, people buy Apple products because they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets