Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times

Advertisements

there are wifi only versions of the ipad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Hmm, a new toy, for those who must have every gadget. My problem with these pads is that you must get internet for it, so you pay internet on your phone, for your laptop, and for your tablet? At what point is that just too much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Yup. And even the 3G version has 3G service optional (and if you do want it, it is on a month to month basis, not contract).

Old 03-13-2011, 12:34 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,588,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
sounds like it will cause buyer's remorse

Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Yeah, right. And I've got a bridge in New York for sale. Apple products are status symbols. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't make a single product that someone else doesn't maker a better version of. And those competitors with the superior product almost universally charge significantly less for their offerings. People buy Apple products because of bright and shiny marketing campaigns. For the same reason you can go to a conference where Apple is providing a keynote and lose count of how many black turtlenecks you see.

I don't. But this is a discussion forum, and as an expert in the field, I have a perspective on this device that could save someone from wasting hundreds of dollars on a useless object.

Apple has shown that they can get people to buy one. Apple has shown that if they slap one of their logos onto a dog turd and get their great cult leader Steve to proclaim it to be the best thing ever, they could get it to sell. Apple sells image. Apple sells the image of being hip and of being savvy. They sell an idea. They're the Louis Vitton of the tech world. Just like LV's bags are no more functional than Guess's, Apple products are no more functional than Company X's offerings.

Not that there's a market for them. I live in Seattle, one of the most tech crazy cities in the entire country. Know how many iPads I see? About 1 a week. Maybe. On a good week.

I used one, too. For about 3 weeks. Won one at an NCA security conference in Bellevue late last year. Ended up putting it up for sale on Craigslist, because it was no more functional than my phone (but bigger), and significantly less functional than my laptop (but not so small that it was easier to carry around). Almost useless toy. The only purpose I could find for it was that I could pull up my Solarwinds Orion web console for network monitoring on it while out in the field to ensure that there were no significant outages on my company's network - but I can do that with a laptop, as well.

The average consumer still uses CD's, DVD's, USB attached devices (thumb drives, external hard drives, etc.). Apple can't accommodate any of those. And it's no easier to carry around than a laptop. Know why? Because it doesn't fit in your pocket. You STILL have to put it in a bag of some sort, just like a laptop. And since you also have to lug around things like a keyboard to plug into the thing if you actually want to be able to type more than 30 words a minute, it's actually LESS convenient.

No, that's not the demand at all. The demand is that it serve a purpose that isn't filled with another device, or that it provide functionality on par with another device. And it fails.

Or a netbook. Or an Android phone. Or a laptop.
Or a netbook. Or an Android phone. or a laptop.
Or a netbook. or an Android phone. Or a laptop.

(And seriously, have you not figured out how to make your smartphone not default to m.facebook.com and instead load the full site? And you're gonna talk to me about tech?)

Done and done. Your entire rant has been invalidated.

First, I have three iPads and two macbooks alive in me and my immediate family. So it's not like I'm an Apple basher.

Apple products are like toys and they sure are status symbols, except the iPod maybe which has become an everyday utility item, given the world's addiction to music.

I've always believed that Apple is meant for and is cherished by technically illiterate people who like to see nice and flashy things and get too scared with the viruses that attack windows, and perhaps do not have the patience or skill to operate a system running red hat or an AIX.

And it's complete baloney that Apple puts a superior and more secure OS out. Windows still have a monopoly on the world's office space, and virus writers put in the effort only for windows to achieve what they want. Nobody wants to write a virus for the Mac, it's not so lucrative, as noone's interested in the information many Macs have, given that the users behind them happen to be people who like nice things.

I don't care for Apple.

Here's what happens with many Apple fans I come across. I noticed that when you tell them their computer is cheap, they get offended They buy it solely coz it's more expensive and they love to tell their friends they have a computer allegedly better than a Windows one, given that they are not too skilled with either OS.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
sounds like it will cause buyer's remorse
I don't think so. I'm probably getting a android based smart phone sometime this week. Im tied into sprint for another 18 months and the htc evo looks pretty promising. I'll use that as my primary choice for "on-the-road" communications or when Ireally don't need or want to to lug a larger system around.

I've been using my ipod touch has been an adequate most of the time since almost every coffee shop, restaurant, garage, hotel offers free wifi service. It would be nice to have a bigger screen.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I don't care for Apple
That pretty much somes it up for guys like you and xanathos. good luck in your lives, Fred and Barney

Last edited by DinsdalePirahna; 03-13-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Consumer Reports listed three main shortcomings of the iPad: no camera, no USB and flash not supported. Now that one has been corrected, will we have to wait for iPad4 to get the other two?

Old 03-13-2011, 12:26 PM

the other two are not relevant. most designers are not designing in flash anymore (since the iphone with over 100 million users will never support it). USB would be nice, but is not necessary.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:36 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,695,879 times
Currently the wait list for an iPad is four weeks - I don't think people care about Flash not being on it...

Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,602,543 times
Line for the iPad 2 in NYC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLfD1XU9dH4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets