U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM

33 posts, read 216,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Parker View Post
LOL. I bet you're one of those guys that refuses to buy anything Apple because you consider them all fanboys, right?

I would also bet that you haven't owned one...seeing as how your favorite inadequacy is the most fictitious of your list! They do multitask.

No, I'm one of those guys that isn't stupid enough to go pay apple's inflated pricing. I have no use for a $699 internet surfer.

Every time I shop for a new laptop or desktop I always go and look at Mac's. I just can't get myself to pay double to triple the price. I never have a problem with viruses as I keep my network and computers well protected. I also have a machine I run linux on and use for unix/linux scripting quite often. I honestly just don't have any reason to pay so much more for a Mac....there is no benefit in it for me. I understand they have excellent video/audio editing software but I have no use for that either.

You are right, I don't own one and never will.

Its nice to hear they released an update that allows them to do some multitasking. I see it was just released a few months ago, well it took long enough. That was one of the biggest complaints from users.

I believe I read you can buy a dongle for connecting external devices. So how much more do you have to pay for that just so you can connect a usb flash drive or external hard drive to it?

Can you connect to a printer with them now via usb or blue tooth? I have no idea and don't care enough to waste the next hour reading to find out. I figure some of you die hard Mac guys can give me every little detail off the top of your head. lol

I can see where it could be handy for surfing the internet while out and about if you feel it necessary. However, its far from a useful computer as many people believe it to be and they make the mistake of buying one without doing proper research. For the vast majority of people, a $699 laptop would be a far wiser investment and for many a $250 netbook would be their best choice. It sounds as if a lot of real estate agents may be purchasing them to check listings and their email and what not so basically its a $699 web surfer. lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 04:35 PM

482 posts, read 905,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesdickens View Post
No, I'm one of those guys that isn't stupid enough to go pay apple's inflated pricing. I have no use for a $699 internet surfer.

Every time I shop for a new laptop or desktop I always go and look at Mac's. I just can't get myself to pay double to triple the price. I never have a problem with viruses as I keep my network and computers well protected. I also have a machine I run linux on and use for unix/linux scripting quite often. I honestly just don't have any reason to pay so much more for a Mac....there is no benefit in it for me. I understand they have excellent video/audio editing software but I have no use for that either.

You are right, I don't own one and never will.

Its nice to hear they released an update that allows them to do some multitasking. I see it was just released a few months ago, well it took long enough. That was one of the biggest complaints from users.

I believe I read you can buy a dongle for connecting external devices. So how much more do you have to pay for that just so you can connect a usb flash drive or external hard drive to it?

Can you connect to a printer with them now via usb or blue tooth? I have no idea and don't care enough to waste the next hour reading to find out. I figure some of you die hard Mac guys can give me every little detail off the top of your head. lol

I can see where it could be handy for surfing the internet while out and about if you feel it necessary. However, its far from a useful computer as many people believe it to be and they make the mistake of buying one without doing proper research. For the vast majority of people, a $699 laptop would be a far wiser investment and for many a $250 netbook would be their best choice. It sounds as if a lot of real estate agents may be purchasing them to check listings and their email and what not so basically its a $699 web surfer. lol
Hehe. I'm far from a die-hard Mac guy. I own more PC's than Macs and it's pretty easy to give you details when I own one . But, we're kind of diving into 2 totally different debates. Mac vs. PC and iPad vs.Netbook/Computer/Laptop.

When it comes to a home pc, I'm on the same level as you. A couple of years ago, I bought a Dell 24" all-in-one deal that was a lot like the iMac.....except about 1/2 as expensive. It was far-and-away the right choice. Now, if I was in the photography/videography field...I may have spent more time thinking about the iMac....but that wasn't a concern for me. With that said...they are also great for web development.

Yeah, the BS excuse that alot of Apple guys throw out is the virus stuff doesn't hold much water for me. If OSX had anywhere near the market share that Windows has, there would be just as many virus issues.

With the iPad, yes, you can print to any wireless, bluetooth, or network printer. The usefulness of the iPad all comes down to who you are and what you use it for...like I said before, a niche device. For me, when I used it, it was very handy, and the last thing it was used for was a web surfer. My phone is a better email device than the iPad and I'd much rather pull out my phone to check a listing than to run to the car come back, and fire up the iPad. I think you're sort of cutting a lot of the apps short. They're not all fart and "idiot test" apps. There are a ton of great apps, from anything business to fully-feature web development. The iPad, in and of itself, is totally worthless. The value is in the apps.

Also...seeing as how v1 is $399, and v2 is $499 now for the base model....it's a little unfair to throw out $699...seeing as most people that buy one would never use more than the base storage amount.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 PM

112 posts, read 141,075 times
I won't buy any i-stuff, because I too think they are terribly overpriced. I also don't like the whole proprietary thing.

I thought about ordering a Notion Ink Adam tablet, which is in its second round of pre-orders. I decided to wait to see what tablets are released later this year or next with the new Mirasol screen technology. I want to be able to also use it as an ereader with a long battery life.

I thought about getting a Kindle, but haven't because I like to read at night and would prefer a self-lit screen, and because it doesn't support Epubs/library books.

I prefer computers and gadgets that are open and flexible.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 AM

33 posts, read 216,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419 View Post
I won't buy any i-stuff, because I too think they are terribly overpriced. I also don't like the whole proprietary thing.
I agree, I failed to mention the proprietary thing. Apple's insistence on trying to force their proprietary software and hardware on people has always been one of their biggest problems keeping their market share in the computer world low.

Quote:
I thought about getting a Kindle, but haven't because I like to read at night and would prefer a self-lit screen, and because it doesn't support Epubs/library books.

I don't have a kindle, because I prefer reading a real book with pages I can mark to refer back to quickly. That and I just don't like staring at the screen to read a book, especially since I look at multiple computer screens all day for work.

Quote:
Same here, plus its nice to have a multitude of software and hardware options. The options for apple computers are limited, not as bad as it once was but it is still limited. If I'm going to deal with issues, I would rather just use linux on a cheap pc and write my own scripts to get the job done. lol

Old 03-12-2011, 12:05 AM

346 posts, read 786,917 times
Bridge Street was crawling with folks tonight. I know there was a line to get into the Apple store for a good 4 hours.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:54 AM

12,445 posts, read 12,456,929 times
What's an iPad?

Old 03-12-2011, 07:19 PM

4,921 posts, read 9,868,836 times
Pay attention Dirt!
The IPad is the latest fad.
Be there or be square.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:41 PM

19,011 posts, read 27,075,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
HB2HSV: I say get it! We have them for our office and hubby has one at home. He lives on that thing! For traveling, I don't think you could go wrong. I attend SO many out of town classes, etc., and everyone just brings their IPAD now. So many great App's also...I stick to the Apple family, but I"m prejudice!

I really could care less about the camera, for my use, but do like the white.

Your wife will like it I'm sure! I was shocked with Tim bought one. It's "the other woman" now, lol.
LMAO

I can't eat an iPad (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110311/us_yblog_thelookout/fed-official-heckled-i-cant-eat-an-ipad - broken link)

Old 03-13-2011, 01:43 PM

19,011 posts, read 27,075,588 times
Some of you people can wear that blue T-shirt and go door to door, selling apples Feels like I walked into an Apple store.

Wonder if people will ever get out of this delusion.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 AM

13,170 posts, read 15,272,722 times
Quote:

The Nook su[[orts Overdrive media for Library books.
Nook > Kindle

And the "I want a light up screen" defeats the purpose. The Nook/Kindles look like paper. That's why they are so popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets