U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:28 AM

6,140 posts, read 9,846,391 times

Advertisements

Who's buying it and why?

My wife seems to like it a lot but every time I say I'll buy it for her birthday, our anniversary, etc., she kept saying "no". I know she does not want to spend the money but I can tell she's interested in.

So ladies, please help me analyzing this situation. What should I do?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,120,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Who's buying it and why?

My wife seems to like it a lot but every time I say I'll buy it for her birthday, our anniversary, etc., she kept saying "no". I know she does not want to spend the money but I can tell she's interested in.

So ladies, please help me analyzing this situation. What should I do?

Do you hold the purse strings? ('I'll buy it for you..'), Then give her the cash, and let her decide.

I've been saying for months now that 'I need one and I'll get me one' - it turns out it is just a phase. I have survived with my laptop alone. SO it was an expensive, hyped want, not need. It'd be nice if I had one (fell from the sky ), but I stop at paying for it myself (family budget).

Same with the Kindle. The gadget made me think I'd be reading more if I had one. I haven't read a book in many years (except children's). That phase passed too. I don't need the kindle either.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
Do you hold the purse strings? ('I'll buy it for you..'), Then give her the cash, and let her decide.

I've been saying for months now that 'I need one and I'll get me one' - it turns out it is just a phase. I have survived with my laptop alone. SO it was an expensive, hyped want, not need. It'd be nice if I had one (fell from the sky ), but I stop at paying for it myself (family budget).

Same with the Kindle. The gadget made me think I'd be reading more if I had one. I haven't read a book in many years (except children's). That phase passed too. I don't need the kindle either.
*Sigh* Thanks for the reality check.

I know she does not want to spend "our" money on a iPad ($699 for a glorified laptop - ouch), but I'd thought it will be a nice gift for her.

I know what you mean about Kindle. That was one of my justification to buy her a iPad. But she gets a greater satisfaction buying 50 cents paperback novels at the thrifty stores.

She also turned down my offer for a iPhone. We both get iPod as gifts so no money spent there.

I am the one who likes to spend money in the family.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 PM

482 posts, read 903,323 times
In all honesty, no one really needs an iPad as long as you have a home computer. I bought the first one last year and it's a great device. You start off by surfing the net and playing the games....but the games get old and most of its use comes down to surfing and streaming content.

The question really becomes, "how will it be useful for me (the wife)?" It's great for business, but would it be used for that? Do you have kids? It's great for that. My 3 yr old has taken it over and he loves it and knows more about it than most adults I know (we stopped using it a couple of months ago after we bought the new Macbook Airs. THOSE are awesome and negate any usefulness for the iPad for us). Do you travel much? If yes...buy it. It's great for travel. I can't stress that enough.

As an eReader? I've been telling myself since I bought the thing that I was going to take it to bed and start reading more....I haven't quite made it around to it yet...but from what I have read...it's pretty great....in the dark. No direct sunlight.

For the iPad 2, here are the main questions. Do you own other Mac devices (mac, iPhone, iPod)? If not or you don't plan on it....Facetime will be useless...which will make the video camera useless unless you use skype a lot. Speaking of, the iPad has a sub 1MP camera that isn't very great.

Essentially, everything else is the same except for being lighter, thinner, and faster (which wouldn't really be noticeable to your normal tasks, the magnetic screen protector, and having the option for white or will be the same when the new version of iOS 4.3 comes out for download on the 11th.

Since Apple reduced the 1's to start at $399...you could consider one of those. Just my thoughts.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:13 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,120,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Parker View Post
My 3 yr old has taken it over and he loves it and knows more about it than most adults I know
That's why I thought I needed one: for the kids - the 4yo old keeps touching the computer screen and the mouse is awkward for her, the 2yo is 'flipping thru' on her dad's iPhone, when it's not on! (because she did browse pics couple times before)- so they get it. I see where these gadgets could be a good replacement of the mouse pointer. (websites like Starfall). But again, is it really nece$$ary? The tots haven't been asking me for one, so they must be ok without

Old 03-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
That's why I thought I needed one: for the kids - the 4yo old keeps touching the computer screen and the mouse is awkward for her, the 2yo is 'flipping thru' on her dad's iPhone, when it's not on! (because she did browse pics couple times before)- so they get it. I see where these gadgets could be a good replacement of the mouse pointer. (websites like Starfall). But again, is it really nece$$ary? The tots haven't been asking me for one, so they must be ok without
It's been very educational for him. It helped him learn colors and counting and the puzzles are great. He took to it like a fish to water. He'll pick up the iPad in the morning, unlock it and start playing. When he's tired of playing, he'll turn on the netflix app and start watching Thomas the Train. After that, it's back to the learning stuff. It's also great for "keeping him occupied" when we're out or driving or whatever. We made an 8 hour car trip only having to stop for gas 1 time and he was great with it.

I like it better than TV because it's interactive and keeps him doing something. I don't like him to spend a ton of time on it, but an hour or 2 a day isn't too bad.

It's more than worth the $399 to pick one up...if just for the kids alone.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
(we stopped using it a couple of months ago after we bought the new Macbook Airs. THOSE are awesome and negate any usefulness for the iPad for us). Do you travel much? If yes...buy it. It's great for travel. I can't stress that enough.
I do travel a lot so I can see the advantage of an iPad. I currently carry a GI'd Dell and it's a heavy clunker.

For travel, I am debating between an iPad vs. the new Samsung tablet PC. I like the Samsung size but iPad has a good rep.

Quote:
Since Apple reduced the 1's to start at $399...you could consider one of those. Just my thoughts.
That's good idea. Thanks.

Quote:
It's been very educational for him. It helped him learn colors and counting and the puzzles are great. He took to it like a fish to water. He'll pick up the iPad in the morning, unlock it and start playing. When he's tired of playing, he'll turn on the netflix app and start watching Thomas the Train. After that, it's back to the learning stuff. It's also great for "keeping him occupied" when we're out or driving or whatever. We made an 8 hour car trip only having to stop for gas 1 time and he was great with it.

I like it better than TV because it's interactive and keeps him doing something. I don't like him to spend a ton of time on it, but an hour or 2 a day isn't too bad.

It's more than worth the $399 to pick one up...if just for the kids alone.
You must have the iPad that comes with 3G connection if your kid was able to download netflix while you're driving.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:13 PM

956 posts, read 2,311,456 times
HB2HSV: I say get it! We have them for our office and hubby has one at home. He lives on that thing! For traveling, I don't think you could go wrong. I attend SO many out of town classes, etc., and everyone just brings their IPAD now. So many great App's also...I stick to the Apple family, but I"m prejudice!

I really could care less about the camera, for my use, but do like the white.

Your wife will like it I'm sure! I was shocked with Tim bought one. It's "the other woman" now, lol.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 AM

33 posts, read 215,835 times
iPad's are over priced, over hyped, poor excuses for computers. A $200 netbook blows them away. iPad's have mediocre processors, don't have a usb port for connecting devices or external hard drives, the first generation doesn't have a camera and the one in the second generation basically came out of a 6 year old cell phone. My favorite inadequacy is that since they are built with such cheap hardware, they can't even multitask. The list goes on and on. Why do people buy them?.....because they think it looks cool to have the latest gadget. Many of the people who buy them, end up only using them to surf the internet because in all honesty that is really all they are good for other than silly apps like using it as a great BIG calculator or checking the weather. You can do most of the things you do on an iPad with a Droid cell phone and the droid is open source so if you know anything about coding you can write apps yourself to do tasks you desire. Before throwing money away on one of these pieces of junk, do your research and go to a store and play with one. Then play with a netbook that costs less than half as much and surely common sense will take over.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesdickens View Post
iPad's are over priced, over hyped, poor excuses for computers. A $200 netbook blows them away. iPad's have mediocre processors, don't have a usb port for connecting devices or external hard drives, the first generation doesn't have a camera and the one in the second generation basically came out of a 6 year old cell phone. My favorite inadequacy is that since they are built with such cheap hardware, they can't even multitask. The list goes on and on. Why do people buy them?.....because they think it looks cool to have the latest gadget. Many of the people who buy them, end up only using them to surf the internet because in all honesty that is really all they are good for other than silly apps like using it as a great BIG calculator or checking the weather. You can do most of the things you do on an iPad with a Droid cell phone and the droid is open source so if you know anything about coding you can write apps yourself to do tasks you desire. Before throwing money away on one of these pieces of junk, do your research and go to a store and play with one. Then play with a netbook that costs less than half as much and surely common sense will take over.
LOL. I bet you're one of those guys that refuses to buy anything Apple because you consider them all fanboys, right?

I would also bet that you haven't owned one...seeing as how your favorite inadequacy is the most fictitious of your list! They do multitask. They have for several months. If someone wanted a tablet for the past year, what true option did they have? The JooJoo? There's no one that's come close to offering a true competitor to the iPad for the greater part of its existence. That's changing now, of course with the Galaxy and Xoom trying their hand at it, but they're still pricey compared to a netbook.

The tablets are not meant to replace a netbook or a laptop or a pc. They're meant to be a niche device and that's what they've accomplished. Do you also hate the Kindle? I mean, why pay $139 for the kindle when you can read an eBook on your computer? Same concept, different device.

And you're really going to go the "Why do people choose iOS because Droid is open and Apple's not, route?" The oldest and worst argument of every Droid lover/Apple Hater out there. Anyone with any experience coding can ALSO put an app out in the Apple store. I know, because I've put out a few apps myself built off of php and javascript.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets