U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 PM

2,123 posts, read 4,420,040 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a tax refund in about a week and I'm planning to buy two Android tablets with part of the money. My budget is about $500 for both.

So far, it looks like the Nook Color is about the best I can find in that price range.

Can I do better?

Things I like about the Nook Color:

1. 1024x600 display. Most other 7" tablets only have 800x600.
2. 512mb RAM - twice what most other 7" tablets have.
3. It has a capacitive touch display, like iOS devices.

It doesn't have any cameras. I'd like a tablet that has two - front and rear - for video conferencing and augmented reality apps. I'm not planning to use it for photos.

It's also missing an HDMI port. I'd like to hook it up to my HDTV for video apps.

Can I find a tablet that does all this for less than $300? One that isn't mail ordered from some unknown Chinese company?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 37,383,396 times
Is the Nook really a full Android device? I thought it was just a book reader.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 PM

11,715 posts, read 37,383,396 times
Very interesting. I've always felt that a tablet would be just a toy for me, there's no way I'd pay $500+++ for one. But at $250, it might be tempting.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:17 PM

1,826 posts, read 4,863,603 times
There is not a tablet with better hardware specs than the Nook for under $300. That said, the Nook is not a full Android tablet without being rooted and flashed with a custom ROM. Basically you write an image to an sd card, reboot the Nook with it in and you will be up and going in about 10 minutes.

I have a Nook Color and I would recommend CM7 if you are going to root it. I am using the version 22 nightly build and it has Bluetooth enabled plus almost everything else you'd expect with Android. The Bluetooth range is much shorter than my phone's, but it is enough to stream BT audio to my car stereo (my main use for it). The Nook doesn't have GPS, but I am able to tether my Evo's GPS through an app called TetherGPS. This enables Google Maps to work flawlessly.

Android 3.0 is OS built for tablets and their is a pre-release version for the Nook, but it is still rough around the edges. I'm sure someone on XDA will release a version for the Nook based on the official 3.0 release that will be smoother.

If you want a polished release the Xoom has better hardware and is a more polished released. The downside is that it costs more than twice as much.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:32 PM

2,123 posts, read 4,420,040 times
Thanks! Then a Nook Color it is.

Hopefully there will be a few more choices when it comes time to replace them. Maybe an NC2?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:00 AM

702 posts, read 1,028,029 times
test out the Pandigital Novel. My wife and I were choosing between the Kindle and the Nook. She wanted an e-reader and was leaning towards the Nook because she's used her officemate's and liked it, except it was not colored. So we were looking at the Nook Color next. But the browser on the Nook was kind of clunky.

Then we chanced upon the Pandigital Novel over at BJs wholesale club. It was $149.00, with an internal 2 gig sd card and it has an external sd card slot into which I put it a 16 gig card (for movies). We bought it, intending to try us it for a few days.

As is, without hacking/rooting, it proved so useful for it's intended purpose (e-reader, web surfing using wifi, music player, watching a movie) that we decided to keep it. In fact, I went back to BJs yesterday to get another one for myself because I couldn't pry it off of my wife's hands when I wanted to read, but they had sold out.

By the way, you can buy/lend books via Barnes and Noble. My wife and her officemate (Nook) are lending each other books all the time.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 AM

1,826 posts, read 4,863,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
test out the Pandigital Novel. My wife and I were choosing between the Kindle and the Nook. She wanted an e-reader and was leaning towards the Nook because she's used her officemate's and liked it, except it was not colored. So we were looking at the Nook Color next. But the browser on the Nook was kind of clunky.

Then we chanced upon the Pandigital Novel over at BJs wholesale club. It was $149.00, with an internal 2 gig sd card and it has an external sd card slot into which I put it a 16 gig card (for movies). We bought it, intending to try us it for a few days.

As is, without hacking/rooting, it proved so useful for it's intended purpose (e-reader, web surfing using wifi, music player, watching a movie) that we decided to keep it. In fact, I went back to BJs yesterday to get another one for myself because I couldn't pry it off of my wife's hands when I wanted to read, but they had sold out.

By the way, you can buy/lend books via Barnes and Noble. My wife and her officemate (Nook) are lending each other books all the time.
600x800 resolution and a resistive touchscreen are the deal killers on that for me. Those are also being rooted and flashed with custom roms (android), but the processor is slower and it has 1/5th the internal memory of the Nook color.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 AM

3,743 posts, read 12,019,908 times
Low res screens and lack of processing power are two things I hear you need to be wary of with the low-priced Android devices, so its something to think on imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets