Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:04 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Honestly, no offense, just a question,,, did you not already realize that iPad and Flash don't dance? IMHO, Flash can not disappear fast enough; it is a terrible resource hog.
No offense taken. No, I did not know that ipad & flash didn't work together when I bought my ipad. Matter of fact, I didn't even think about flash when I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Where are you going that you need Flash? So far I haven't run into a single issue with missing Flash on the iPad - can you post specific links?

Flash is unnecessary imo unless you are making banner ads, but you can get apps that provide you desktop access to a computer, so you can run flash on a computer and see it on the iPad.

Also, if you got the iPad for reading, there are native Nook and Kindle apps plus Apple's own bookshelf app and store.

Flash should really be a non issue.
I've hit a few sites/links that needed flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Most product pages have a product video link that is flash.

Lowepro - Fastpack 100

links to

Lowepro Fastpack

Funny how you so easily dismiss the need for flash just because most of a site is html.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I'm not dismissing anything, its a well-known fact that sites employ flash videos and Apple devices don't play flash. I don't see why you are bringing up unrelated sites that sell bags when the OP is talking about issues with e-books. You appear to simply be trolling.

Maybe you should explain why I need flash to view a video on a site that also has photos and text descriptions of the product. If it is so important, you'd think the retailer would be eager to make the videos as compatible as possible, given that iPads and other Apple devices consume 80% of mobile device video today.

This is not the same as the OP, who seems to have an issue with being able to read things because of a Flash issue when his objective is to read things.
You two take your dispute outside!

I'm trying to get a decent discussion to resolve an issue important to my wife and I !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
most developers have stopped writing in Flash.
My website is still flash based, because I have not had the time to rebuild it. Flash based sitwes will be around for quite a while for the Time/Money issue.
The time lag to extinction for flash is also why I wanted flash for my ipad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
The issue has already been resolved
If by this you mean that ,at present, there is no good workaround for flash on an ipad then maybe it has been answered. But I can still hope.........

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-26-2011 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 02:10 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

I'm trying to get a decent discussion to resolve an issue important to my wife and I !!
The issue has already been resolved

Old 05-26-2011, 02:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
If by this you mean that ,at present, there is no good workaround for flash on an ipad then maybe it has been answered. But I can still hope.........
You bought a device whose creator proclaims for all to hear that it will never support flash, yet you're disappointed that it doesn't support flash.

Quote:

Don't tell me what to do. The site I posted with flash on it as an example is no different than any other flash site which can't be fully experienced on an iOS device.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-26-2011 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
MOD NOTE: If there be means to help the OP w/ a non-jailbreaking means to enjoy Flash-enabled sites upon an Apple iDevice, then please post such positive advice. Otherwise,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So the keyword of the day for dismissing anything not in line with Sayantsi is "troll".

I guess I'm a Troll today....

Where's ShadowCaver?
Don't let everyone know, but the bum works all durn day (and sometimes hours into the darkness), pretending to be a Quality Manager,,, so he can't always be watching every post, in every thread, in every forum he's modding. Hence why its great appreciation to those that report unsavory words, etc.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:27 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
Quote:
MOD NOTE: If there be means to help the OP w/ a non-jailbreaking means to enjoy Flash-enabled sites upon an Apple iDevice, then please post such positive advice. Otherwise,,,

Don't let everyone know, but the bum works all durn day (and sometimes hours into the darkness), pretending to be a Quality Manager,,, so he can't always be watching every post, in every thread, in every forum he's modding. Hence why its great appreciation to those that report unsavory words, etc.
How dare he!

j/k

Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
There is no such method as far I can find. "Apple Man" is dead set against it....

Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
I posted a way to do it already. There are also apps now that do server-side conversion from Flash to h.264 so you can watch videos on an Apple device even if they are in Flash.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:23 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
I jost bought an ipad 1 to join the e-book parade but I've hit the wall for some sites due to the ipad not having the ability to run Flash.

I've google this need but am confused by the info I found.

So my question is what are the apps that I can download that will allow me to run Flash when it's needed????

Is there an app work around that won't mess up my ipad ?????
There is Skyfire for the iPad, which is a web browser that transcodes Flash. It is available from the App store. I believe it is $5.

And yes, there are other apps that will transcode Flash on iOS, but transcoding Flash can take up to 60 seconds...if you are impatient. The good news, though, is that you will get to view all those banner ads!

More good news, if you can call it that, is that instead of moving the entire website to HTML5, many websites are offering apps that transcode the website for you.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
There is Skyfire for the iPad, which is a web browser that transcodes Flash. It is available from the App store. I believe it is $5.

And yes, there are other apps that will transcode Flash on iOS, but transcoding Flash can take up to 60 seconds...if you are impatient. The good news, though, is that you will get to view all those banner ads!

More good news, if you can call it that, is that instead of moving the entire website to HTML5, many websites are offering apps that transcode the website for you.
I'm getting the impression that flash on the ipad just isn't going to be worth the bother at the end of the day.

I can't tell what is flash or not on my imac so I have no real way to gage just how important flash will be really.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
I'm getting the impression that flash on the ipad just isn't going to be worth the bother at the end of the day.

I can't tell what is flash or not on my imac so I have no real way to gage just how important flash will be really.
Well, I have the first generation iPad, and I haven't found too many, if any, problems with websites that require Flash. I have come across a few anime type websites that require Flash, but I can just view those on my Macbook.

If Flash is essential to you, "bothering" to install a transcoder app should not be that much of a hassle. Other than that, you can sell the iPad and get another tablet that does run Flash (Dell, Samsung, Motorola, and the Play Book come to mind).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets