U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:29 AM

723 posts, read 1,586,616 times

Advertisements

I can't afford a Ipad, so I was looking at other less expensive pads. I got an epad (for my girl friend) but it was junk. Chat worked ok, but internet use was not usable it was so slow. I see there are many pads out there and some small laptops. My question is, which ones are you all using that will work good for chat and surfing the web/looking at real estate pics? I'd like to get her something that works this time.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:41 AM

2,123 posts, read 4,432,154 times
I bought a Nook Color for about $250 and rooted it. It's probably the best $250 tablet on the market.

It doesn't have 3G, HDMI or cameras, but it does have the following:

1. 7" screen (1024x600), capacitive touch
2. 512mb RAM. Most other cheap tablets only have 256mb or less.
3. SDHC card reader.
4. 802.11n

There are some rumors going around that Amazon.com will soon introduce something similar. It may be a good idea to wait if you can.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:21 AM

26,345 posts, read 86,725,334 times
Dell mini 10

It's a real computer.

Windows 7
HDMI
3G
Only 1 gig though so it is a bit slow but for internet and Office apps it is fine.
Has USB ports (unlike ipads)
Very rugged - I just toss it in my backpack.

Bought it at dell outlet so it was cheap but it looks brand new.

I would buy another one.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:36 AM

13,275 posts, read 12,312,180 times
I use a 10" Acer Netbook.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 AM

2,265 posts, read 6,045,201 times
I would either get a netbook like someone else had mentioned or take some time and save for something like an iPad. I've been looking around at tablets from non-Apple manufacturers too and haven't been impressed. I actually do like the BlackBerry PlayBook despite its flaws, but it's just as expensive as an iPad and the iPad has a bigger screen and (currently) more apps available today.

full disclosure: I do use a Mac laptop, but I also like technology in general, and I'm not one of those people that automatically buys Apple without looking at other brands. I don't own any kind of tablet, but I've been looking.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,080 posts, read 34,809,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
I can't afford a Ipad, so I was looking at other less expensive pads.
The only touchscreen tablets that perform better than an iPad, like the Samsung Galaxy Tab or the Motorola Xoom, cost more than the iPad. AFAIK, there isn't a tablet that costs less than the iPad that most people who want a tablet find acceptable. They either have lousy displays, sluggish response to the touchscreen input or lack either features or processor horsepower to run the OS. In this space, there's a real benefit to having the hardware manufactured by the company that produces the software.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 AM

13,041 posts, read 15,146,569 times
I like Cowboy's reply.
As much as I LOVE the iPad, I would probably get the Wifi Xoom for one reason really.
Expandable memory slot.
It comes with 16GB, just like the iPad, but soon you will be able to add more memory to it.
The Samsung Galaxy and BB Playbook are nice, but to small. I want a minimum 9"-10".
Also agree the Nook Color is a good choice.
Personally I would wait a bit longer. The market is about to flood with quality choices. Everyone getting ready to release quality tablets.
I am very interested to see what pricing will be on the Toshiba.

Toshiba Tablet

Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM

285 posts, read 800,575 times
Quote:
I can't afford a Ipad, so I was looking at other less expensive pads. I got an epad (for my girl friend) but it was junk. Chat worked ok, but internet use was not usable it was so slow. I see there are many pads out there and some small laptops. My question is, which ones are you all using that will work good for chat and surfing the web/looking at real estate pics? I'd like to get her something that works this time.

Thanks.
I have an Android - Samsung Galaxy Tab. I signed a contract for new service, so it didn't cost as much. I love it!
  • small size so it fits in my purse and that means I can carry it everywhere
  • big enough to read comfortably
  • I can easily transfer files with a usb cable and do not have to download itunes to do so (this is helpful since I travel from one place to the next for work and cannot download itunes everywhere I go)
  • I scan reference books and manuals at work through the copier/scanner which has a feeder and takes 2 minutes and then transfer to my tablet - again, without using itunes (this means that my 600-page books that are not ebooks can come everywhere with me
  • I am a huge lover of Google - use google for calender, contacts, etc. so it totally works for me

Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 AM

13,041 posts, read 15,146,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am very interested to see what pricing will be on the Toshiba.

Toshiba Tablet
I am leaning towards the Thrive.
8gb: $429
16GB: $479
32GB: $579

Possibly the Asus Transformer.
ASUS TF101A1 Eee Pad Transformer Android Tablet - 16GB, Android 3.0 Honeycomb, 10.1 Capacitive Touch Screen Display, NVIDIA Tegra 2 at TigerDirect.com
$399 for the 16GB one.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:38 PM

17,476 posts, read 31,225,587 times
Quote:

Thanks.
This is for you, the homework has already been done by Kim Komando (iPad generation 1):
iPad and its competition - Kim's Buying Guide and Advice on Shopping for Laptops, Digital Cameras, iPods, Computers, HDTVs, and More - The Kim Komando Radio Show

But enter the iPad 2:
http://www.komando.com/buyguide/index.aspx?id=8594
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets