Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:38 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times

Advertisements

Steve Jobs has predicted the end of the PC and I think he’s right. (I suspected as much the day the iPhone was released.) Laptops, and certainly desktops, will be the domain of specialized users: graphic designers, hard-core gamers, accountants and people who work with spreadsheets, etc. Everyone else will use a tablet or a smart phone.

Syncing music is nice, but the real “killer app” for iCloud is eliminating the need for a PC. In five years the home user will have stopped replacing his/her PC because it’s not used anymore. By that time 90 percent of home users will be on iOS or Android. If Microsoft doesn’t come up with a competitive entry into the market, they will be out of the home market very soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Steve Jobs has predicted the end of the PC and I think he’s right. (I suspected as much the day the iPhone was released.) Laptops, and certainly desktops, will be the domain of specialized users: graphic designers, hard-core gamers, accountants and people who work with spreadsheets, etc. Everyone else will use a tablet or a smart phone.

Syncing music is nice, but the real “killer app” for iCloud is eliminating the need for a PC. In five years the home user will have stopped replacing his/her PC because it’s not used anymore. By that time 90 percent of home users will be on iOS or Android. If Microsoft doesn’t come up with a competitive entry into the market, they will be out of the home market very soon.
While not quite for a "specialized" reason, Mrs. Tek and I just had a conversation about why we needed 3 desktops (4 if I count the Win98 game PC) and two laptops in the house. We decided that we didn't need desktops for everyday use because we spend all our time (except for a few specific needs) on the laptops. We have found that the specific programs we run on the desktops will run just fine on our new laptops, especially since all the data files are on the server. We would keep the server, and there is a computer that still runs Win98 for old games that we are wanting to keep until after she's been retired a while. Mainly to test whether she'll play those games or not.

So after she retires we will still have two desktops, but one will be a server and the other will be a game base. I'm betting the Win98 PC will go away.

In the same conversation we talked about tablets as a substitute for the laptops, but except for travel I doubt that will happen. At least not yet.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:39 PM

119 posts, read 293,031 times
This is what I use my tablet for its a good tool when on the road-

Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
I own the Toshiba Thrive. Love it.
I dont think the size is a problem (We are talking difference of tenths of ounces, people!)
I love the full size USB...that was one of the main reasons I bought it.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecurd View Post
This is what I use my tablet for its a good tool when on the road-
Well why not just sit in the passenger seat for you sure as hell ain't driving, your are just occupying the drivers seat as a inattentive passenger. Speed is also what you get off on, i.e. the radar detector. You are a hazard to everyone else on the road.

If you don't kill yourself, I hope the family of whom ever you do kill sues and collects every future nickle you will ever make. And please don't respond with the lunacy that you can be a safe driver with all those distractions for that is a proven fallacy.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:10 PM

696 posts, read 1,725,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

Syncing music is nice, but the real “killer app†for iCloud is eliminating the need for a PC. In five years the home user will have stopped replacing his/her PC because it’s not used anymore. By that time 90 percent of home users will be on iOS or Android. If Microsoft doesn’t come up with a competitive entry into the market, they will be out of the home market very soon.
I disagree since people will always want a big screen. 22" widescreens are only $100 on sale.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post
I disagree since people will always want a big screen. 22" widescreens are only $100 on sale.
At least with smartphones they are small enough to hold and use both thumbs to type, I chuckle when I see someone balancing a tablet on one hand, poking at the on screen keyboard with one finger.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM

119 posts, read 293,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well why not just sit in the passenger seat for you sure as hell ain't driving, your are just occupying the drivers seat as a inattentive passenger. Speed is also what you get off on, i.e. the radar detector. You are a hazard to everyone else on the road.

If you don't kill yourself, I hope the family of whom ever you do kill sues and collects every future nickle you will ever make. And please don't respond with the lunacy that you can be a safe driver with all those distractions for that is a proven fallacy.
I cant believe you would think someone would surf the web while driving! You must think everyone is stupid! I use the tablet for GPS driving directions (VERBLE). Yes, I do surf the web on the tablet in the car when stopped at a rest area, or resting at a truck stop. Many have a turn by turn GPS in their car could be even you do! DONT JUDGE OTHERS without the facts!. I am a holder of a class "A" CDL and drive 80,000-100,000 pound trucks down the road and have done so for more than 30 years with NO violations and a 100% clean driving record. I believe my clean driving record along with more than 2 million safe miles speaks for itself!.P.S. its a Ford Focus not a maserati!

Last edited by cheesecurd; 08-09-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecurd View Post
I cant believe you would think someone would surf the web while driving! You must think everyone is stupid! I use the tablet for GPS driving directions (VERBLE). Yes, I do surf the web on the tablet in the car when stopped at a rest area, or resting at a truck stop. Many have a turn by turn GPS in their car could be even you do! DONT JUDGE OTHERS without the facts!. I am a holder of a class "A" CDL and drive 80,000-100,000 pound tracks down the road and have done so for more than 30 years with NO violations and a 100% clean driving record.
I see them doing it, easy to spot and they wander from lane to lane, or watch the evening news where horrific wrecks are caused by people playing with their toys vs. driving.

As a trucker you see them, especially from your vantage point, so why get so defensive.

Nope, no GPS either, I don't even talk on my phone when driving and certainly don't read/send text messages. Even hands free phones are a proven distraction from driving.

I find it astounding that as a professional driver you defend technology that can be viewed or accessed by the driver.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:56 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
I have an iPad 2 that I bought for (1) a trip to the UK, 8 hours in the plane; and (2) the hope that we can move our computers out of the living room. I can do most stuff that I was doing on my computer with my iPad. What I can't (yet) do is play Flash games, or "open all in tabs" (looking at comic pages on the web). I have a feeling both of those limitations will soon be overcome. I also can't do any development, but I do that mostly at work so it's not really a problem.

I was using it so much I was getting sore arms, because it's a bit heavy. I bought an easel-type stand for it, and that makes a world of difference!

We invested in a MyFy so that we could use it on the road (mine's a wireless iPad). That works a treat, but unfortunately there's no signal in any of the areas where we go camping, so it's not so much use there.

I don't like the protective film I have on my iPad right now, but not enough to motivate me to go change it for a different one. Protective film is necessary in my house, because my hands get grubby easily and my DH sweats battery acid!

So far I haven't had any problem with battery power. In fact, I need to remember to deliberately run it down to nothing occasionally, because that's supposed to be good for the battery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets