Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times

Advertisements

Kinda OT...I'm still lost at the target market for tablet PCs.

I mean I know the market, I just don't understand it: upper middle class people with extra money a penchant for redundant gadgets.

Companies are pushing tablets like they're pushing 3D TVs, I don't think these things will ever catch on. How many people do you know that have an iPad?

I like tech, so sure, I wouldn't mind having an iPad or a(n) ________ tablet but I think they're far from necessary for most people.

As far as the iPad vs. everything, Apple has done a great job with marketing, apps and style, as it has been stated. And Android and MS has a lot of catching up to do.

However...

In 2-3 years I can see tablets catching on when Android matures, Microsoft matures it's "Tiles" UI and when hardware prices come down to about $100 a tablet. Then I'm sure the tables will tip a bit more even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:52 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Doesn't that require a data plan commitment? The last thing I want is another device with a $30/mo bill attached to it.
I dataplan is not always needed. For example, I can use any WIFI ready computer or tablet at work. The same can be done at some coffee shops, restaurants, and so forth (I can use the business' WIFI).

However, since I have an ISP for my computers at work, I can also use an iPad, iPhone, Android, etc., connected via WIFI, which in turn saves me the "minute-plan" with phone companies such as AT&T, and so forth.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:43 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Kinda OT...I'm still lost at the target market for tablet PCs.

I mean I know the market, I just don't understand it: upper middle class people with extra money a penchant for redundant gadgets.

Companies are pushing tablets like they're pushing 3D TVs, I don't think these things will ever catch on. How many people do you know that have an iPad?

I like tech, so sure, I wouldn't mind having an iPad or a(n) ________ tablet but I think they're far from necessary for most people.

As far as the iPad vs. everything, Apple has done a great job with marketing, apps and style, as it has been stated. And Android and MS has a lot of catching up to do.

However...

In 2-3 years I can see tablets catching on when Android matures, Microsoft matures it's "Tiles" UI and when hardware prices come down to about $100 a tablet. Then I'm sure the tables will tip a bit more even.
The total target sales of iPads for the end of 2011 is 28 million. Lots and lots of people are buying iPads.

The tablet market is a potential replacement for lap/desktops for personal users. Most people use a home computer to surf the Web, to check email, chat/Skype, and for media (photos, video, books, etc). Tablets excel at these activities, so unless you're a serious gamer or need specialized programs, like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, ProTools or Logic, you don't really need a PC at all.

They're out to destroy the netbook market and take a big bite out of the home PC market. Netbooks don't have the power to run heavy games or Photoshop. I think the only reason to have a netbook over a tablet is for the keyboard, but that only applies if you have to do a lot of typing. Then again, once voice and hand writing recognition are perfected, the question will be moot.

They're also making inroads into business users because it's more functional than a Blackberry and lighter than an laptop. They're especially popular on commuter trains.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 06-17-2011 at 10:56 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 06:22 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The total target sales of iPads for the end of 2011 is 28 million. Lots and lots of people are buying iPads.

The tablet market is a potential replacement for lap/desktops for personal users. Most people use a home computer to surf the Web, to check email, chat/Skype, and for media (photos, video, books, etc). Tablets excel at these activities, so unless you're a serious gamer or need specialized programs, like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, ProTools or Logic, you don't really need a PC at all.

They're out to destroy the netbook market and take a big bite out of the home PC market. Netbooks don't have the power to run heavy games or Photoshop. I think the only reason to have a netbook over a tablet is for the keyboard, but that only applies if you have to do a lot of typing. Then again, once voice and hand writing recognition are perfected, the question will be moot.

They're also making inroads into business users because it's more functional than a Blackberry and lighter than an laptop. They're especially popular on commuter trains.
And with 28 million sold, there is sound basis and impetus for capital investment in further development and improvement, including price/value improvement.
These things aren't going away soon.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:42 AM

273 posts, read 957,196 times
As hardware sales continue, prices will drop. Function will increase and price performance/value as well. This won't take a long time.

In parallel, there will be more and more Android apps. Soon there will be more than 'needed' since there will be mucho redundancy and overlap.

Being a Luddite(!!), I'ill hang on to my old laptop for another turn or two of the development cycles.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Like it or not if Apple hadn't been the driving force that gave computing for the masses the hardware/software there would be nothing for the copy cats to sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Can't say that I agree with that statement...
Flat out wrong...

Edit: After reading Peregrine's post I should add that I was thinking a bit farther back, I still view the impetus of computers as being the basis for the current trend and, while Apple was selling a few computers, IBM and it's clones were selling a lot of computers. They were the impetus, not Apple.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The flip side of that coin is that if nobody supports the "copy cats," then they're giving the "real thing" a de-facto monopoly.

If nobody supported the IBM "copy cats" back in the '80s, then a PC - whether it's an IBM, Apple or whatever - would cost many times what they do today. Promoting "copy cat" technologies, in this context, is almost universally a Good Thing. Not all of them will take off, but voluntarily giving one company a monopoly on something is never good.
I agree for the most part, but keep in mind that outside of some relative popularity in the 80s, Apple has mostly struggled to gain any real popular support. if it wasn't for the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, Apple would still be largely an underdog.

The popularity of these devises can be argued all day long, but one thing remains true at the end of the day: Apple does things the way that Apple wants them done. Now, many of you may be saying, No duh!, and perhaps that is a reason why many do not like Apple (or Jobs), but this gives Apple the leg up in that it does that one thing well. Android tablets are engaging in an uphill battle because they are simultaneously competing against Apple and each other.

Apple made the iPad the way it is because that is the way they wanted it made (more on that later). With Android tablets, the idea seems to be to build something that is similar enough to the iPad to gain some attention, then to through in "stuff" that the iPad is lacking (native USB port, microSD slot, Flash, etc.) in hopes that these simple "additions" would be enough to capture those in the tablet market searching for such "extras".

And that is their downfall. Instead of just building a solid device, they are hoping to bank on producing a basic tablet with a few added bells and whistles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
While I do agree with that staement I think the linked article is pretty lame.
Who is this guy? Obviously an Apple fan.

First, Tightwad's statment.
You can't argue that. There were MP3 player's on the market long before Apple introduced the iPod. But Apple marketed it SO well that they basically took over the market.
Apple created the first pretty and easy to use touch screen phone, the original iPhone. Without that we would all still be using Blackberrys and Treo's with a medicore user experience and those half screen half keyboard devices.
Then they creatd the tablet market by releasing the first iPad.
Apple innovates, creates a market but then..
and this is the key part...
they get outdone.
The author is a developer for the iOS platform. He is expressing his opinion based on ideas coming from a developer's perspective. And that is basically; design a platform that developer's would like to use, and they will come to you.

Android has some good apps, but many are junk. One thing Apple currently has over Google is that Apple scrutinizes all apps before agreeing to release them through the App Market. Google does not do that, and probably never will (although they do sometimes remove apps from Market....usually the ones dealing with rooting your phone). Basically, anyone can make and release an Android app. At least with Apple you know there has been some quality assurance applied. And that is what attracts developers...and customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

This is the crux of the argument, and one that those who are not familiar with Apple, or the iPads history, fall sort on. eReaders where gaining in popularity, but they lagged in two areas: comic books/graphic novels, and eTextbooks. Sure, you could read both on a typical eReader, but typical eReaders are linear, causing the "reading" of graphic novels to be somewhat awkward. And sure you could read and eTextbook on an eReader just fine, the lack of being able to link to a website/Internet or take notes, etc. was a hindrance.

Incidentally, the iPhone/iPad Touch were great with both of these. However, who wants to seriously read a graphic novel on a 2.x inch screen? So, the iPad was initially intended to be an eReader with more function (Internet, etc.) in hopes of grabbing the more nerdier aspect of society (those who read graphic novels/manga, etc.), and the education market (mainly college students) who could use on device to take notes, read textbooks, study, etc.

Aside from that, another thing that Apple does not do is produce products that compete with themselves. That is why Apple never released a netbook, nor introduced BlueRay. When the netbook craze hit, all computer manufacturers took a hit against their high-end laptops because their own netbooks were competing with their own products. The iPad is similar enough, and functional enough, to be like a laptop, yet it is different enough to be classified as its own device. Apple knows that sales of Macbooks would decline if they included such things as USB ports and microSD slots because they know people who want a Mac would opt to purchase these lesser-priced tablets instead of the low-end Macbooks. Apple is saying: If you want an a tablet, then buy an iPad. If you want a laptop, then buy a Macbook Pro. If you want both, then buy both. But if you want both in one device, you are SOL.

The iPad was never intended to be, nor will it ever be, a "replacement" device for a laptop.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:05 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
The Macbook Air is kinda like a netbook...?

In any case I think that the iPad can be even (appear to be) more useful than it is but ironically even Apple doesn't treat the iPad (at least in commericals and ads) like a PC killer, because as K-Luv stated it was never meant to be that.

And like I stated it won't be a laptop killer until MS and Android can be placed on sub $100 machines that have decent UIs and have more functionality like a netbook.

I don't know a single person who has a tablet, iPad or otherwise, despite there being 28 million+ of them out there. Maybe it's too soon to tell but I think that's a problem. I just have the outlook that tablets and iPads specifically will always be niche until they get cheaper. And even then...I don't know.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:27 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
The Macbook Air is kinda like a netbook...?

In any case I think that the iPad can be even (appear to be) more useful than it is but ironically even Apple doesn't treat the iPad (at least in commericals and ads) like a PC killer, because as K-Luv stated it was never meant to be that.

And like I stated it won't be a laptop killer until MS and Android can be placed on sub $100 machines that have decent UIs and have more functionality like a netbook.

I don't know a single person who has a tablet, iPad or otherwise, despite there being 28 million+ of them out there. Maybe it's too soon to tell but I think that's a problem. I just have the outlook that tablets and iPads specifically will always be niche until they get cheaper. And even then...I don't know.
I know quite a few. They make presentations very easy.
Anyone with a house for sale should offer an Ipad to Buyer and Buyer's agent.
They are now a bigger draw than equivalent cash.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:49 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The iPad was never intended to be, nor will it ever be, a "replacement" device for a laptop.
Jobs has said as much on several occasions. He likens laptops to trucks, i.e., something you buy if you need the extra functionality. Most people wouldn't use half the power of a MacBookPro.

Also, iCloud is designed to enable you to run an iPad or iPhone without a PC. Apple never would have done that if they wanted to force people to buy laptops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets