U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
17,080 posts, read 34,813,783 times
Reputation: 14280

Advertisements

Great article dissecting a review of a top Android tablet and applying it to the choice of whether to buy this or an iPad.

The Android tablet problem, nicely summarized by one review’s conclusion – Marco.org

Quote:
The gadget reviewers seem to believe that it’s only a matter of time before these theoretical developers rush into the Android-tablet market with tons of high-quality apps. But time isn’t the problem. If these tablets continue (not) selling at their current pace, the reviewers (and the unfortunate few early adopters who bought these things) will be waiting forever.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 18,772,831 times
Reputation: 7193
Very telling is this statement.........
"Translation: Android tablets have managed to copy the iPad’s hardware well enough — the easy part — but have failed to provide good software and significant third-party app choice — the hard part."

To me this says buy the "real thing" first to avoid the heartache of copy cats.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
17,164 posts, read 19,609,110 times
Reputation: 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
To me this says buy the "real thing" first to avoid the heartache of copy cats.
The flip side of that coin is that if nobody supports the "copy cats," then they're giving the "real thing" a de-facto monopoly.

If nobody supported the IBM "copy cats" back in the '80s, then a PC - whether it's an IBM, Apple or whatever - would cost many times what they do today. Promoting "copy cat" technologies, in this context, is almost universally a Good Thing. Not all of them will take off, but voluntarily giving one company a monopoly on something is never good.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 18,772,831 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The flip side of that coin is that if nobody supports the "copy cats," then they're giving the "real thing" a de-facto monopoly.

If nobody supported the IBM "copy cats" back in the '80s, then a PC - whether it's an IBM, Apple or whatever - would cost many times what they do today. Promoting "copy cat" technologies, in this context, is almost universally a Good Thing. Not all of them will take off, but voluntarily giving one company a monopoly on something is never good.
Like it or not if Apple hadn't been the driving force that gave computing for the masses the hardware/software there would be nothing for the copy cats to sell.

It's all about business risk and Apple has never been afraid to take risk to develop new markets that benefit all in computing.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
17,164 posts, read 19,609,110 times
Reputation: 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Like it or not if Apple hadn't been the driving force that gave computing for the masses the hardware/software there would be nothing for the copy cats to sell.
Can't say that I agree with that statement...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 37,456,806 times
Reputation: 7535
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The flip side of that coin is that if nobody supports the "copy cats," then they're giving the "real thing" a de-facto monopoly.

If nobody supported the IBM "copy cats" back in the '80s, then a PC - whether it's an IBM, Apple or whatever - would cost many times what they do today. Promoting "copy cat" technologies, in this context, is almost universally a Good Thing. Not all of them will take off, but voluntarily giving one company a monopoly on something is never good.
The copy cats need to seriously get their prices down. If I'm not going to pay $500 for an ipad, I'm sure as hell not going to pay $800 for a Xoom.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,041 posts, read 15,151,492 times
Reputation: 9159
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Can't say that I agree with that statement...
While I do agree with that staement I think the linked article is pretty lame.
Who is this guy? Obviously an Apple fan.

First, Tightwad's statment.
You can't argue that. There were MP3 player's on the market long before Apple introduced the iPod. But Apple marketed it SO well that they basically took over the market.
Apple created the first pretty and easy to use touch screen phone, the original iPhone. Without that we would all still be using Blackberrys and Treo's with a medicore user experience and those half screen half keyboard devices.
Then they creatd the tablet market by releasing the first iPad.
Apple innovates, creates a market but then..
and this is the key part...
they get outdone.

Having said that:
EscapeCalifornia says "Why pay $800 for a Xoom when I can get an iPad for $500".
The cheapest Xoom is $599, not $800, from Verizon.
It is 32GB compared to the iPad 16GB. And it has a memory slot so you can add more memory. Those 2 features alone are EASILY worth an extra $100.
EASILY.

Both are worthy devices. I wouldn't fault anyone for getting either one.
But as Android tablets continue to get introduced, the prices get even better. You can get an Asus 32GB Transformer with Android 3.1 for $400.
Now explain to me why I would pay $100 more than that to be married to Apple's ecosystem for the rest of my life???
Because a couple apps are a little bit better?

As I always say I am not a fanboi of any system. I like all technology. But I want maximum bang for my buck... and Apple isn't it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
37,059 posts, read 64,418,401 times
Reputation: 37113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
While I do agree with that staement I think the linked article is pretty lame.
Who is this guy? Obviously an Apple fan.

First, Tightwad's statment.
You can't argue that. There were MP3 player's on the market long before Apple introduced the iPod. But Apple marketed it SO well that they basically took over the market.
Apple created the first pretty and easy to use touch screen phone, the original iPhone. Without that we would all still be using Blackberrys and Treo's with a medicore user experience and those half screen half keyboard devices.
Then they creatd the tablet market by releasing the first iPad.
Apple innovates, creates a market but then..
and this is the key part...
they get outdone.

Having said that:
EscapeCalifornia says "Why pay $800 for a Xoom when I can get an iPad for $500".
The cheapest Xoom is $599, not $800, from Verizon.
It is 32GB compared to the iPad 16GB. And it has a memory slot so you can add more memory. Those 2 features alone are EASILY worth an extra $100.
EASILY.

Both are worthy devices. I wouldn't fault anyone for getting either one.
But as Android tablets continue to get introduced, the prices get even better. You can get an Asus 32GB Transformer with Android 3.1 for $400.
Now explain to me why I would pay $100 more than that to be married to Apple's ecosystem for the rest of my life???
Because a couple apps are a little bit better?

As I always say I am not a fanboi of any system. I like all technology. But I want maximum bang for my buck... and Apple isn't it.

Refurbed wifi XOOM, direct from Motorola....$499.00

Refurbed original wifi Ipad, direct from Apple...........$349 and up.

So, I'm looking.... I think I skip the data plan and go wifi only.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 37,456,806 times
Reputation: 7535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The cheapest Xoom is $599, not $800, from Verizon.
Doesn't that require a data plan commitment? The last thing I want is another device with a $30/mo bill attached to it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,041 posts, read 15,151,492 times
Reputation: 9159
OK, uh duh... yea, that is with a 2 yr contract. Someone on the other tech forum I hang on posted that as the wifi only non contract price.
You are totally right, just checked VZW site.
No way I pay that much for a tablet.

32GB Xoom vs. 16GB iPad: $500 VS. $800:
I'd get an iPad. When they WERE the only 2 on the market I did recommend the iPad for people.

But the iPad vs. the "copycats": I can still get that Asus Transformer NEW for $50 more then your refrub iPad.
I am leaning towards the Toshiba Thrive.
32GB is $79 more then the 16GB iPad. Has a memory card slot. A replaceable battery. A normal USB post - no need for proprietary cables. A Bargain for $79 more.

/edit// Oh and totally agree. NO WAY I get a data plan on that. Motorola screwed up there. No one wants YET ANOTHER monthly fee.


Toshiba Direct | Toshiba Tablets
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top