U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 PM

2,484 posts, read 5,046,841 times

Advertisements

Well, my daughter has officially declared me to be a dinosaur... I carry a laptop when I travel, and she says that's so 20th century, and it's time for me to replace it with a tablet. I've looked at 'em and visited their websites and read a few reviews, but I'm still struggling to understand what they can actually do for me. Admittedly, 90% of the laptop's use when I travel is web browsing and emails, but I also have the occasional need to review spreadsheets and/or Word documents, as well as occasionally upload a few tidbits to a website using an ftp client. I have zero interest in something for playing music, games, movies, videos or staying connected to FB...

My question... Why would I be better off with a tablet instead of my laptop, and can it handle my occasional needs for spreadsheets and ftp access to a server? Is there anything else useful that it can do for me, or should I just settle back into my 20th ways and forget about it? Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 PM

5,881 posts, read 11,695,813 times
occasional use like you describe, a tablet would be just fine. Plenty of programs (apps) for word processing, spreadsheets and even webwork.

If played with photoshop elements on a tab and was pretty impressed. Will be even more impressed when full blown graphic design apps are available

Old 08-01-2011, 03:01 PM

14,693 posts, read 24,236,125 times
If you do decide on a tablet, before you even get into looking at buying any apps for word processing, spreadsheets, etc. check out SkyDrive on Sign In. You can use Word/Excel/Powerpoint for free. It doesn't work all that well with an iPad though so you may want to check out other models.

Last edited by bs13690; 08-01-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM

2,484 posts, read 5,046,841 times
Thanks for the responses. I had forgotten about SkyDrive - had used it on one occasion awhile ago, then never thought about it again. I Googled up some webdesign apps and they make it sound simple. 'Course I've thought that before, and several sleepless nites later... Good luck with the Photoshop Elements on the tablet, it still gives me a struggle on my PC. I keep falling back to PSP.

I guess it's time I looked a little deeper into the 21st century. Would you be as comfortable accessing your bank account with a tablet as with a laptop, from a security point of view? I understand there are security issues anytime I use WIFI, just curious how you feel the two devices compare in this area. Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:48 AM

3,382 posts, read 3,757,385 times
To be honest with you, I wouldnt consider using a tablet as a replacement for a laptop. Not yet anyways, maybe down the road when tablets become more then what they are now. Tablets are great for what they are, but they are still not a replacement of a PC

Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 AM

24,497 posts, read 37,574,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
To be honest with you, I wouldnt consider using a tablet as a replacement for a laptop. Not yet anyways, maybe down the road when tablets become more then what they are now. Tablets are great for what they are, but they are still not a replacement of a PC
I don't think the intent is to replace a PC.... but to have the tablet for when you don't need the PC.

The slate form factor is much more convenient when traveling than a laptop.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 AM

13,069 posts, read 15,179,506 times
My wife and I will probably buy each other tablets for Xmas this year. I will get her an iPad2, and she will get me an Android tablet.

The only thing a tablet really cannot replace my laptop for yet is easy photo management. For everything else it totally can.
It's just easier to put them on a laptop and back them up to CD's.
"Why not use the cloud?" I know someone will say. I have 20 GB and counting of photos...

A tablet is a better email and internet device then any laptop. Period.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 AM

1,568 posts, read 2,726,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
My wife and I will probably buy each other tablets for Xmas this year. I will get her an iPad2, and she will get me an Android tablet.

The only thing a tablet really cannot replace my laptop for yet is easy photo management. For everything else it totally can.
It's just easier to put them on a laptop and back them up to CD's.
"Why not use the cloud?" I know someone will say. I have 20 GB and counting of photos...

A tablet is a better email and internet device then any laptop. Period.
Get a tablet with a USB port and connect a external hard drive.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 AM

24,497 posts, read 37,574,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Get a tablet with a USB port and connect a external hard drive.
I was thinking this too. Discs seem like a lot of effort. You could pick up a couple (one as backup) 120gb 2.5" external hard drives and store all photos on there.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM

3,382 posts, read 3,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think the intent is to replace a PC.... but to have the tablet for when you don't need the PC.

The slate form factor is much more convenient when traveling than a laptop.
The OP says to replace the laptop. So, this is why I replied the way I did. I carry 2 laptops and a tablet for work, so I do understand the convenience of a tablet, but, I would not say a tablet is at the point of replacing a laptop at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets