U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 03:46 PM

844 posts, read 2,801,483 times

Advertisements

Thinking about getting a Tablet, and the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 has some good reviews. However, I would like to hear some real world comments please. How come Samsung didn't include a USB port?

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,137,636 times
We had a pilot program at work by which we gave 100 people these Galaxy Tablets. The good on them is they're very stable, and they were infinitely easier to adapt to our business needs than the iPad pilot program we tried and eventually scrapped. Battery life was rated as subpar, ease of use and quality of build was rated high. Most importantly, it played much more nicely with our network than the iPads did.

On the downside, we found that the top 5 uses of these devices were (in order):

1) Watching the Rachel Maddow show
2) Playing Angry Birds
3) Checking personal email
4) Tracking scores on ESPN
5) As a digital picture frame

Top 5 complaints included:

1) Productivity software lacking
2) Virtual keyboard difficult to use due to large hand size
3) Not as useful as laptop
4) Had no use for
5) Couldn't keep clean

Further, we found that at the end of the program, only 16 of the 100 we issued were even still in use. The other 84 had been drawered or buried under stacks of paper as people went back to their laptops, smartphones, and Kindles. This is still much better than the 2 out of 50 iPads we had going after their pilot run, but still insufficient, especially since these things were almost never being used for business.

The lack of features within the device itself, much like Apple, is the direct result of the company hoping to sell expensive accessories after purchase, best I can figure.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:37 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,237,841 times
I've had the xoom and galaxy tab 10.1 - I definitely prefer the gt10.1 by a wide margin. The tw update increased the speed, reduced typing lag, and added some surprisingly useful features. I've played around with stock honeycomb after using tw, and vanilla honeycomb just felt handicapped in comparison.

Yeah I miss the idea of having onboard expandable memory, or USB and HDMI slots - but you have to ask yourself how often you would use those in comparison to what you gain - the thinnest, lightest tablet available. I've bought the USB adapter and plan to buy the HDMI, so its not as if those options are completely gone.

The screen is also significantly better than the xooms, and it also gets dimmer (great for use in the dark next to a sleeping spouse).

I think the battery is somewhat longer lasting than the xooms, although the xoom charged completely in approximately 2 hours, while the gt takes about 7.

All together, this is one of the first tabs I've used that feels like its worth the price.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:29 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,730,955 times
I've had an ipad for about 9 months now and can't really think of a time that I missed having a usb port . . . your mileage may vary.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:37 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,237,841 times
Yeah, when I had the ipad what I missed was mass storage capabilities, working file system, ability to download any file type straight to the device, ability to plug in USB drives directly to device, Widgets, FLASH, plug and play capabilities, ability to open a wider variety of file types. Those were just a few off the top of my head..

Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,865,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Yeah, when I had the ipad what I missed was mass storage capabilities, working file system, ability to download any file type straight to the device, ability to plug in USB drives directly to device, Widgets, FLASH, plug and play capabilities, ability to open a wider variety of file types. Those were just a few off the top of my head..
Pretty much the same here. I own a Toshiba Thrive and love it!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:08 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,730,955 times
Like I said, your mileage may vary - the point is that many people who use a tablet aren't going to miss a usb port. The OP is wanting input and although I don't own a Galaxy I'm saying he probably won't miss a usb port if he gets one.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:31 PM

844 posts, read 2,801,483 times
A USB port is important to us as we have numerour family pictures that we save on our external drive as back up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets