Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 05:33 PM

570 posts, read 1,285,851 times

Advertisements

Which would be better to get,....Kobo eReader or NextBook Multi-Media Tablet ?
They are both on sale right now.

I originaly wanted an eReader but after reading about the Full Function Android (2.1) Based Tablet, it looks like it can also download eBooks from Kobo (Borders) as well as the other things it does,.... so maybe it is the better choice.
And if I get the NextBook Tablet,... then I probably wouldn't need the Kobo eReader, would I?

I don't know very much about either one of them so I would appreciate opinions from those of you who know more than I do.
TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Just want to add.....
If what I am wanting is primarily an "eReader" then which would be the better buy?
However, what I'm thinking is ...may as well get an eReader that has other capabilities than just a Reader. Right?

I really hope some one comes along that can offer some suggestions.
Thanks

Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
You don't say which versions of the two you are looking at: Nextbook makes a Next2, Next3, etc. Kobo also has a touch and non touch version.

Personally, if all you want is an eBook reader then I'd save the money and get a dedicated eBook reader instead of an underpowered off brand tablet.

The eBook readers (Kobo, Sony, Kindle, Nook Touch) are e Ink and are supposed to be much easier on the eyes when reading for long periods of time, are perfectly visible in direct sunlight, and have a much longer battery life (think days, weeks, or months instead of hours). They are also much lighter than most (all?) tablets.

The Next2 has some pretty bad reviews, and apparently the Next3 was a giant disaster from a DOA / Failure standpoint at release.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:46 PM

The Kobo eReader is a 2010 Model N289, wireless. 1 GB memory. Holds up to 1000 Titles

The Tablet is a 2011 Next6 Full Function Android (2.1) Based Tablet
7" Multi Media Android Tablet, multitouch pinch & zoom technology, WiFi connectivity, 4GB internal (up to 32GB with card).
Says you can browse the web, watch videos & play music. Has eReader application.
I realize it is a Budget Model. But wondering if it may be good enough for someone that can't afford the higher price name brand models.
I like the idea that I would be able to check my email and browse the web as well as use it as an eReader.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:06 PM

Hmmm.... maybe the ipod would be what I would want to do emails??

Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 PM

Default Mods: Please delete this thread.

When I posted this yesterday.....I think I posted it under the wrong catagory.
I have reposted it under the catagory of "Science and Techinology".
I appologize for my error.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times
Why don't you get a new touch screen kobo, which is on sale ($99 i think) from borders website right now (atleast last I checked). Or you could get a kindle special offer for $114. The new nook touch screen is only $130 as well...

Unless you're getting that kobo for significantly less than $99, I would go with something current and that appears to have better reviews. Which is also why I would stay away and not waste money on that tablet, which seems to have horrendous reviews and runs an outdated and dead end version of android.

Keep in mind the ereaders have an eink display and looks like a page right out of a book. Everything is going to be shades of grey, but the battery will last 1-2 months or so, and form factor is smaller and lighter than a tablet. Also, you will need a book light if reading in dark rooms, since the screen isn't lit like the tablet.

Personally, I have a galaxy tab 10.1, kindle 3, nook simple touch, and prefer reading on the ereaders by a large margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets