Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times

Advertisements

I have a chance to buy a HP T- Pad But dont have a clue about the WebOS & cant make heads or tails with what I have read about it ... Articles are too techy for me

So tell me how you like them! Good Bad & Down right Ugly!

Can I just put a plain old Windows on it? How does the Present OS compare to Win XP or 7?

How long does the battery last?

Thats All Folks ... I Think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 07:19 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Unless your in to rooting you will run what it came with, WebOS. No you can't load Windows on it, but there is a group dedicated to getting Android working on it. Depending on the price I'd wait, a $99 Android tablet will be available soon in the US.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:44 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
1) The Touchpad is essentially abandonware. It was released in July, then quickly discontinued and dumped for cheap.
2) WebOS is actually really nice. It's probably nicer than Android or iOS. But there will be far fewer apps, and given the lack of devices that run it and lack of clear future, probably no chance that many apps will be developed for it.
3) No, you can't just put Windows on it. It uses an ARM processor, which isn't going to run desktop Windows. Supposedly Windows 8 will run on ARM, but that's no guarantee that it'll run on the touchpad.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 AM

Can I get Amazon Apps on it....Mainly eBooks & Instant Movies?

The person I buying it from has already put Android on it [no idea the version] He says he will put it back to Factory IF I want him to.

Should I leave Android on it & use it that way?

Old 12-31-2011, 10:57 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
I "think" that should be able to acquire Amazon apps, but someone with more knowledge would need to check. However, will say that the HP that we have is pretty ,,, its not as good as the iPad2 overall, but it is quite nice. But I wouldn't pay more than ~$150 for it.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:02 AM

It comes with a Charging Stand & Carrying case....she asking $250! I know from amazon the stands are about $50. I think this also inc shipping! Shes in TX & I am in WV.

I am just looking for something simple. Do some web surffing & post to FB check email...watch Amazon Movies ...Read eBook .... Play some games Download some stuff etc. Just personal use.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Honestly $250 is a bit much. You can get them for about that on Amazon new. The Touchstone charger looks nice, but certainly not necessary.

Be aware that there are a couple of design flaws in the plastic case. There are numerous reports of cracks forming along the speaker and mic ports (I have them on both). The plastic there is very thin, and these stress cracks seem to occur even if the tablet is treated well (mine lives on the coffee table).

I prefer Android to WebOS, but the current Android ports for the TP are Alpha and have issues. Using Android on the TP is probably never going to be perfect. I'd either dual boot (the CM version of Android allows this), or go back to the factory WebOS install.

There are Kindle apps for WebOS and Android so books are a sure thing. To the best of my knowledge there is no app to play Amazon Prime movies on any handheld devices other than the Kindle Fire, but downloaded movie purchases may be playable.

You mention games. I'd check the App stores for both WebOS (http://www.hp.com/global/webos/ca/en/apps.html - broken link), and Android and see if the kind of games you want are available there. You won't be able to download games designed for Windows and run them on the tablet.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:59 PM

THANKS!! It comes with a few games but I cant stand Angry Birds grrr I checked Amazon prices they are actuall around $300 without Stand or Case! So I happy with the price. It says on the Videos on HP it does movies But no mention where you get the movies... Netflix?? HuLu?? Does it have USB ports to Side load Movies??

Old 12-31-2011, 01:47 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
THANKS!! It comes with a few games but I cant stand Angry Birds grrr I checked Amazon prices they are actuall around $300 without Stand or Case! So I happy with the price. It says on the Videos on HP it does movies But no mention where you get the movies... Netflix?? HuLu?? Does it have USB ports to Side load Movies??
No Netflix or Hulu on WebOS, but you can use them on Android (most versions are supported). Netflix and Hulu support are actually the reason I'm getting ready to load Android on mine. There is the HP MovieStore but I don't know how it compares to other services.

It does have a USB cable so you can drag movies to it, but you may have to mess around with the formats. If you are comfortable using a program like HandBrake then you won't have any issues.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM

Dont even know IF I be watching movies LOL Tho I do from time to time watch video on YouTube... Right now watching some on the HP-T LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets