Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:54 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,418,664 times

Advertisements

Actually, this isn't Jan on Alaska but her husband-but here goes.
What I am looking for (wish list) is a tablet that I can use to read PDF's, has a good search function, can fully utilize SD cards (read and write) and boots up fast. My company has issued me the world's lamest laptop, which takes minutes to start up and shut off again. The ipad appears to be able to read my PDF's but they won't write to SD cards, I tried a nook color tablet which booted quickly and did a decent job on PDF's but the search function was stupidly slow and it won't do anything with SD's.

I repair copiers, so what I need is a tablet that I could carry in a toolbox, read service and part manuals in PDF fiormat, write to SD cards for updating machine firmware, and if it had a standard LAN port it would be even better... the company issued laptop is OK but I'd like something more convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,038,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What type of battery life are you getting?
About 10 hours of active use time would be my guess, based on the percentages. I never run it down to zero. With the magnetic smart cover, it uses very little power while in standby. Often we go 5 days without putting it on the charger.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,945,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
I'm considering purchasing one of he larger tablets, like the Ipad2, Zoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1, or Asus Transformer 2- aka Prime, etc., and am looking to see how many of you guys find that tablets are worth the cost, or are they glorified toys.

One of the things that anoyed me the most is you cannot easily print from them without getting/buying an app, and/or having a printer that has the Airprint capability. I also read that if one app doesn't work, buy another,

The second thing I would miss VS a laptop is side by side/multitasking capabilities. On the tabs, I see you can only have one screen/window at a time.

So, just wondering how many of you guys have a tablet, and have found them very useful/not worth it.

Thank you
The HP Touchpad was the king of multi-tasking. You could load a YouTube video and have several different webpages open (not tabbed browsing). It was so easy to swap back and forth between applications with the Home button and swiping upward. I hate that HP discontinued it without really giving it a chance. It was only out for a few months, and WebOS wasn't advertised that well.
I compared about 10 tablets and wanted that one most, but I didn't stick with it since there would be a lack of updates in the future. Many people still buy them and enjoy them, but you won't get the latest games or software that you would from an Android device.

This video shows what it does. Skip to 5:50

HP TouchPad Unboxing and Hands-on - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Actually, this isn't Jan on Alaska but her husband-but here goes.
What I am looking for (wish list) is a tablet that I can use to read PDF's, has a good search function, can fully utilize SD cards (read and write) and boots up fast. My company has issued me the world's lamest laptop, which takes minutes to start up and shut off again. The ipad appears to be able to read my PDF's but they won't write to SD cards, I tried a nook color tablet which booted quickly and did a decent job on PDF's but the search function was stupidly slow and it won't do anything with SD's.

I repair copiers, so what I need is a tablet that I could carry in a toolbox, read service and part manuals in PDF fiormat, write to SD cards for updating machine firmware, and if it had a standard LAN port it would be even better... the company issued laptop is OK but I'd like something more convenient.
Motorola Xoom - Micro SD card, Micro USB
Toshiba Thrive - Fullsize SD card, Fullsize USB
Asus Transformer - Micro SD card, Micro USB
Acer Iconia - Micro SD card, Fullsize AND Micro USB ports

I'm not sure why people are buying the Kindle Fire and Nook Color when you can buy a more advanced tablet for a few more dollars, and the tablets will come with Nook and Kindle applications enabling you to read books. Some will say, "Well I don't want that big tablet"... there are 7" tablets that are great for reading as well. I would buy the Vizio 8" tablet ($189) over an advanced EReader any day.

I recently bought the Acer A500 tablet for under $300. I work in a vehicle, and holding a laptop in my lap just isn't practical. I am going to be using it for searching the web, watching YouTube and movies, and playing games. That is why I bought a tablet instead of a laptop... I can hold it flat against the steering wheel or in my lap.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:23 AM

16,503 posts, read 19,579,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
and if it had a standard LAN port it would be even better... the company issued laptop is OK but I'd like something more convenient.
No tablet has or I am betting ever will have, a LAN port.
Personally for what you want I would go with the Asus Transformer.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 AM

7,022 posts, read 14,444,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No tablet has or I am betting ever will have, a LAN port.
Personally for what you want I would go with the Asus Transformer.
My $75 Chinese tablet has an Ethernet port (although I had to flash the rom to upgrade the system.)

With Wifi so ubiquitous, I don't really see the need for a LAN port on a Tablet..

Old 12-06-2011, 07:23 AM

16,503 posts, read 19,579,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
My $75 Chinese tablet has an Ethernet port (although I had to flash the rom to upgrade the system.)

With Wifi so ubiquitous, I don't really see the need for a LAN port on a Tablet..
I stand corrected. Does seem silly to me.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,548,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
The HP Touchpad was the king of multi-tasking. You could load a YouTube video and have several different webpages open (not tabbed browsing). It was so easy to swap back and forth between applications with the Home button and swiping upward. I hate that HP discontinued it without really giving it a chance. It was only out for a few months, and WebOS wasn't advertised that well.
I compared about 10 tablets and wanted that one most, but I didn't stick with it since there would be a lack of updates in the future. Many people still buy them and enjoy them, but you won't get the latest games or software that you would from an Android device.

This video shows what it does. Skip to 5:50

HP TouchPad Unboxing and Hands-on - YouTube

Motorola Xoom - Micro SD card, Micro USB
Toshiba Thrive - Fullsize SD card, Fullsize USB
Asus Transformer - Micro SD card, Micro USB
Acer Iconia - Micro SD card, Fullsize AND Micro USB ports

I'm not sure why people are buying the Kindle Fire and Nook Color when you can buy a more advanced tablet for a few more dollars, and the tablets will come with Nook and Kindle applications enabling you to read books. Some will say, "Well I don't want that big tablet"... there are 7" tablets that are great for reading as well. I would buy the Vizio 8" tablet ($189) over an advanced EReader any day.

I recently bought the Acer A500 tablet for under $300. I work in a vehicle, and holding a laptop in my lap just isn't practical. I am going to be using it for searching the web, watching YouTube and movies, and playing games. That is why I bought a tablet instead of a laptop... I can hold it flat against the steering wheel or in my lap.
what about the Galaxy Tab2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets