Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:58 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,225 times

Advertisements

I'm considering purchasing one of he larger tablets, like the Ipad2, Zoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1, or Asus Transformer 2- aka Prime, etc., and am looking to see how many of you guys find that tablets are worth the cost, or are they glorified toys.

One of the things that anoyed me the most is you cannot easily print from them without getting/buying an app, and/or having a printer that has the Airprint capability. I also read that if one app doesn't work, buy another,

The second thing I would miss VS a laptop is side by side/multitasking capabilities. On the tabs, I see you can only have one screen/window at a time.

So, just wondering how many of you guys have a tablet, and have found them very useful/not worth it.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I have an iPad2. It doesn't really solve any problems I had, but it is a great device for consuming online content. It's also my favorite device to use away from home, more portable than my netbook, but not quite as powerful. If I were writing a paper or a long email, I'd rather have the netbook. For reading web sites and killing time with games away from home, the iPad is the tool for the job.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:41 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Like any other technology, it's worth really depends on what you are going to use it for. There are good games for tablets of course but I really prefer playing games with a mouse/keyboard. Plus, kongregate.com can't be used on a tablet! Things tablets are good for:

Excellent for watching movies on a plane
Makes an excellent recipe database
Is helpful to organize your grocery list and easier to carry around the store than a laptop
Good for checking prices on the fly in a store, especially with something like Shop Saavy or other QR reader

Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Personally, I like a small laptop (I have a Dell mini 10) it costs a lot less, it is REAL computer, it has USB ports and the form, fit, and function are better or the same as a tablet. It has a real keyboard. I can install just about any software.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
I got a 7 inch tablet for about $75 in Hong Kong.. I think you can order one over the internet for slightly more (+ shipping.) I was in the market for a Kindle at the time and I figured it cost about the same as the non-3g Kindle but can also run Android apps.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I have an iPad2. It doesn't really solve any problems I had, but it is a great device for consuming online content. It's also my favorite device to use away from home, more portable than my netbook, but not quite as powerful. If I were writing a paper or a long email, I'd rather have the netbook. For reading web sites and killing time with games away from home, the iPad is the tool for the job.
What type of battery life are you getting?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
We're both of us techno-geeks. We're hoping to get the computers out of the living room to make it look less like an office. The iPad2 is for when we want to be in the living room, but still have some technology for games, light web surfing, etc.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We're both of us techno-geeks. We're hoping to get the computers out of the living room to make it look less like an office. The iPad2 is for when we want to be in the living room, but still have some technology for games, light web surfing, etc.
This is pretty much what we use our TouchPad for. In our old house our office was right off of the living room. In this one it's upstairs, so I wanted something easy to use for sitting at the kitchen table, or light surfing from the couch. I also use the Kindle app on it a bit (when my wife has the Kindle!)

For that it's great, but it's not really something I'd carry with me all the time.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I just bought one for my wife. She has a computer at a room in the house, and I have another computer plus a new MacBook Pro. I handed her my MacBook and told her that she could have it instead of an iPad 2. I also told here that a MacBook Air was a little more expensive than the iPad, but that it was a computer. She thought about it for a couple of days, and then said, no about the laptops mentioned. She said, "they are too heavy, and I just want to sit at the living room or something and check my mail, or just communicate with our daughters at Facebook while watching a movie, and to read a book every now and then." Soooo, I got her an iPad since that's what she wanted

In reality an iPad can be used for a lot of other stuff. For example, as a travel GPS unit in the car since the screen has a lot of room for maps and such.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
I struggled with the laptop vs. tablet decision, and decided on the latter. My wife already had a laptop, and I already have desktop computer. The tablet lets us quickly check e-mail, look up something on the web, etc. My wife enjoys playing games on it. Given the size and weight advantages over laptops and netbooks, it's much, much easier to use while lying in bed, or sitting on a couch. I usually just need web and e-mail access when I travel, and a tablet woks well in these regards. A tablet is a good complement to a computer, but probably not a good replacement for a computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets