Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:44 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

For those who own/use ereaders what ereader to you favor finding it to be easy to use?

Kindle?

ipad?

Nook?

I favor the ipad as a do it all ereader but I must say Amazon Kindle Keyboard is closing fast as my favorite ereader. Allowing me to use my ipad for the jobs it does best besides ereading thus postponing that day when the ipad batteries die. Kindle batteries I can change whereas ipad batteries are going to be an expensive pain in the a$$. ( I love all my Apple products but the ipad battery change out is so damn anti-consumer)

Nook? Well, not so much since I have no business relationship with Barnes & Noble at all. With ebooks being pretty much even across the board for price I've made Amazon my go to place for ebooks which cuts both Apples ibook and the nook out of the picture. On the nook battery front....they can be owner changed.

Now that I've shared what I like ,and why, what's your favorite ereader and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
I use Nook for PC and use my PC as an ereader instead. I find all tablets and ereaders too small compared to a 24 to 30 PC monitor. But in the future I'm looking at an Asus 10" tablet that has the new Nvidia quad core cpu in it.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
I have an iPad and a Kindle Fire and without doubt, the iPad is a far superior product, which is too bad because I really wanted to like the Kindle. But it's just too glitchy. For example, when I do a Google search, the Kindle touch screen won't respond to the first 3-4 links, usually the ones I want. The touch screen can be iffy, and sometimes craps out altogether. The Kindle will just turn itself off for no reason, and I have to do a hard restart to get it going again. I was using the ereader function of the Kindle, and when I touched the screen to change pages suddenly a You Tube video for a movie review started loading. I've had to call Customer Service twice in a week to get it going again.

I really want to like the damn thing. Unlike the iPad, it has a very easy learning curve. I got a Kindle for Dummies book and quickly realized I'd wasted my money, because I just don't need it with the Kindle. It's a great size, easy to tote around, looks good, but every time I turn it on I wonder what's going to happen next?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I have an iPad and a Kindle Fire and without doubt, the iPad is a far superior product, which is too bad because I really wanted to like the Kindle. But it's just too glitchy. For example, when I do a Google search, the Kindle touch screen won't respond to the first 3-4 links, usually the ones I want. The touch screen can be iffy, and sometimes craps out altogether. The Kindle will just turn itself off for no reason, and I have to do a hard restart to get it going again. I was using the ereader function of the Kindle, and when I touched the screen to change pages suddenly a You Tube video for a movie review started loading. I've had to call Customer Service twice in a week to get it going again.

I really want to like the damn thing. Unlike the iPad, it has a very easy learning curve. I got a Kindle for Dummies book and quickly realized I'd wasted my money, because I just don't need it with the Kindle. It's a great size, easy to tote around, looks good, but every time I turn it on I wonder what's going to happen next?
The kindle fire has gotten a lot of bad press lately for the reasons you noted with yours. I really wonder if Amazon didn't rush it to market to early to make the Christmas buying season.

Not to be nosy but why a kindle fire AND an ipad? They are both tablets with ipad dominating the tablet market as a clear winner.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:19 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
I have a Nook Color from Xmas 2010 and haven't had any issues with it. Web speeds are OK. Haven't experienced any of the issues above related to the Kindle. Most of the value of the iPad I utilize on my notebook. But I have loaded and watched movies on my Nook. I guess I'll get a better view of the iPad going forward since I got one for my son at Xmas.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Not to be nosy but why a kindle fire AND an ipad? They are both tablets with ipad dominating the tablet market as a clear winner.
I gave my wife an iPad for Christmas and she gave me a Kindle. I like the Kindle Fire, it's handy, very portable and will someday be a great product, but half the time I want to use it as a frisbee.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I gave my wife an iPad for Christmas and she gave me a Kindle. I like the Kindle Fire, it's handy, very portable and will someday be a great product, but half the time I want to use it as a frisbee.
ok, fair enough!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:16 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
One feature that is absolute money for Kindle (and maybe the others too I dunno) is local library lending. They've got a ton of books available for it and can snag ten at a time, bonus = I've figured out that if no sync (leave wifi off) the books can still be read past the 14 day lending period.

Planning on having my wife get her own library card too so we can get 20 at a time then go stealth mode for a few months at a time.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I got a nook simple touch. Didn't want another "computer"..just a reader.
Also downloaded calibre to my desktop which can convert formats to epub and organize my books.
Plenty of free book downloads all over the web (all legal).

I'm very happy with the choice.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:59 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
Just got a Nook Tablet in April and love the thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets