Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
You NEED itunes for an ipad to support the device with updates etc.
Again, no you don't. iOS 5 did away with this requirement. Apple - iOS 5 - See new features included in iOS 5. (http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html#pcfree - broken link)

Quote:
The difference is do you want a ipad camera or not?
The iPad 2 also has a dual core processor, twice as much RAM, and faster graphics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:26 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
One thing that might be a deciding factor abut buying an ipad is battery life. On my original ipad the battery life just sucks for reading compared to the Kindle I now use for reading.

Also the ipad is NOT owner serviceable for battery replacement. The ipad must go back to Apple for a $99 exchange of tables meaning you have to strip all your data off before sending it in for exchange!

The kindle , on the other hand, can be owner serviced , with care, by the average owner when battery replacement time comes around.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
One thing that might be a deciding factor abut buying an ipad is battery life. On my original ipad the battery life just sucks for reading compared to the Kindle I now use for reading.

Also the ipad is NOT owner serviceable for battery replacement. The ipad must go back to Apple for a $99 exchange of tables meaning you have to strip all your data off before sending it in for exchange!

The kindle , on the other hand, can be owner serviced , with care, by the average owner when battery replacement time comes around.
If it's out of warranty you can replace it yourself:

Apple iPad Battery Replacement & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com - YouTube

Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Or you can buy the Toshiba Thrive with a replaceable battery.

iCloud is not the be all end all it was supposed to be.
Disappointed with Apple on that.
My wife has an iPhone and iPad2. Every day she gets a message that the iPad2 cannot backup to the cloud because her cloud storage is full of pictures. Oh, and not all her pictures, either. Just the last 30 days worth....

Get an Android, OP.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If it's out of warranty you can replace it yourself:

Apple iPad Battery Replacement & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com - YouTube
Yes, it's possible to DIY to replace an ipad battery but not desirable at all.

The kindle , on the other hand, is much easier to DIY replacement.

How to Replace Your Kindle III Battery - YouTube

Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 AM

241 posts, read 792,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
No matter which tablet computer you wind up with, be careful about simply tossing it into a large purse. It'll be vulnerable to damage, so put it into some protective casing first.
I just wanted to say that although I did state my lack of knowledge regarding Apple products, I did not state that I am unfamiliar with electronics in general. Of course I would have a case.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:44 AM

241 posts, read 792,682 times
thank you everyone for your thoughts. I have done more research, and since my only real issue was regarding the itunes having to be on a pc to initiate the ipad, it seems I have no issue, lol. I will be getting an ipad2 as soon as my tax refund shows up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets