Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Is the first generation iPad still available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
According to rumors, the iPad will also incorporate 4G.
it is a possibility, but most people still use iPads indoors with wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am so sick of the predictions and rumors...
Yeah, me too. But these things sell magazines and get people to look at websites (both of which result in more ad sales).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
If the iPad 3 doesn't have a slot for micro sdhc cards then I'm getting an Asus Android tablet. But I wonder why I need a tablet at all. For pdf or ebooks? - I'd rather read those on a bigger desktop or laptop computer. And my pdf book collection is maybe 100 GBs!
Not to harp on you Jesse69, but this is what I was talking about. People who "know" Apple know that a microSD slot on an iPad is not going to happen as Apple wants everything to be done wirelessly. At least that was Jobs vision, so who knows what the new leadership will do. Besides that, a microSD slot takes space. Incorporating one into an iPad would require a complete revision in design...which is definitely not going to happen with the iPad 3.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Besides that, a microSD slot takes space. Incorporating one into an iPad would require a complete revision in design...which is definitely not going to happen with the iPad 3.
If it is used for active storage, a lower-class SD card would exact a performance toll. You can't record HD video onto a Class 1 card, for example. I suspect that's a big factor from an engineering and performance standpoint. Having a bit bottleneck would be very unlike other iOS products.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
It has nothing to do with form factor or performance.
If Apple added a card slot to the iPhone or iPad it would completely destoy the market for 32 gb or 64 gb iPhones and iPads.

How many people would buy a 16GB iPad and throw in a 32GB card instead of buying a 32GB iPad??? I would guess MOST.

It's just more brilliant Apple marketing to make you part with your money....

Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Not having an SD card slot is one of the smartest things they have done.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:48 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Not having an SD card slot is one of the smartest things they have done.
Exactly. Because of what I said.
Even I, someone who knows better, wife had her heart set on an iPad. I actually had to think for a minute "should I get her the 32GB one???? She takes an ass ton of pictures. And movies? 16gb is like 3 movies....".

She got the 16. THe Wifi only. It really surprises me that people get the 3G model.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
Quote:
Exactly. Because of what I said.
Even I, someone who knows better, wife had her heart set on an iPad. I actually had to think for a minute "should I get her the 32GB one???? She takes an ass ton of pictures. And movies? 16gb is like 3 movies....".

She got the 16. THe Wifi only. It really surprises me that people get the 3G model.
We have brokers here who jumped on the iPad bandwagon and got the 3G versions, then wondered why their internet stopped working 10 days into the month....maybe it's cause you get 150 emails a day and you download PDFs of property specs and aerials from dropbox like it's going out of style

Forgot to mention almost ALL of them got the 200mb package at first, then had to move up after their first day haha.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:50 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Not everything Apple does is right; I hate that they wanted Flash killed and I don't like that the iPad will not have a micro sdhc card. When I last went to the Apple store I inquired about working there and the salary. They said salary rate was confidential but I told them I can look it up in the web. Then I said I don't believe in all Apple products like their overpriced and underspec'ed laptops and computers.

If I get an iPad it would only be to test an ebook being published for an iPad.

And I really don't see why I should get a tablet. Maybe the new 13" ultrathin Dell notebook would be better. But I'd rather have a 17" laptop when it comes to laptops.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:48 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
... People who "know" Apple know that a microSD slot on an iPad is not going to happen as Apple wants everything to be done wirelessly. ... .
And yet they sell a converter so your iPad socket will read SD card memory.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with form factor or performance.
If Apple added a card slot to the iPhone or iPad it would completely destoy the market for 32 gb or 64 gb iPhones and iPads.

How many people would buy a 16GB iPad and throw in a 32GB card instead of buying a 32GB iPad??? I would guess MOST.

It's just more brilliant Apple marketing to make you part with your money....
I disagree with you on this. The USB Wi-Fi flash devices being sold to be used with the iPad aren't made by Apple. What Apple has done is to leave a big open door to all kinds of companies to manufacture all kinds of gadgets to be used with the iPad, iPhone, and iPods. There is a huge industry out there dedicated to manufacture such products. Also, just about anybody who can create any useful app can sell it of give it away at the App Store. The number of app downloads at the App Store is nearly 25 billion this week, and 99.99 percent of these apps aren't created by Apple.

You can use this adaptor if you don't want to go wireless. Only costs $5.00, but some cost around $2.00.
http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Connect...uct/B0042IUHYA

The wireless flash card-docks used with the iPad allow for cards up to 32GB so far, but these aren't connected to the iPad. They are connected to a computer, and from there movies, photos, files, etc., can be transferred to the iPad.

About 3G or 4G: while a lot of people do not use these services, a huge number of iPhone users have Wi-Fi 3G iPads. This way you can use the iPad anywhere if there isn't a free Wi-Fi hot spot nearby. We don't have iPhones, but I bought an iPad 2 with 3G for my wife. She uses Wi-Fi, except when she visits her mother at another State since her mother does not have Wi-Fi at her home. If my wife can't find an Wi-Fi hot spot, she just uses the 3G network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets