Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:04 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
One very big item to consider.............
How well could you get along without a keyboard or mouse?
Pretty sure that the O-Poster realizes that tablets don't come with keyboards. She wants a tablet. Ergo, she probably knows this already and is willing to try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So you can use it as a laptop when you need a laptop and as a tablet when you need a tablet.

Both, laptops and tablets have their benefits and drawbacks. A convertible tablet tries to mesh the two in order to meet both needs.

I have a convertible tablet, and there's nothing that it cannot do compared to a standard laptop. But it has the added feature of being used as a tablet.

I'm not suggesting that it's for everyone, but it's a very good option for those who want something in the middle.
Well, darn! You would have to bring up versatility!

Old 03-14-2012, 04:54 AM

961 posts, read 2,025,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
SKip the IPAD3 look up the ASUS Transformers they are coming out with an even newer one in the summer called Asus T7000 quad core tablet
Is it priced yet? I'm hoping a Wi-Fi version is $499 or lower.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM

961 posts, read 2,025,402 times
More questions about tablets (i'lll be getting really deep into this until I take the plunge). Still undecided on Android vs. IPad, though I'm leaning iPad, but I have no bias towards either. Questions of the moment if anyone has any takes--

- Is the new iPad useable with the Wi-Fi 16GB? With that new resolution, and with apps having to be re-coded, i'm hearing that downloading or reading one magazine is already 1GB. And having a normal amount of apps already has 10 GB......is the iPad 16GB wi-fi severely restricted?

- Can you use the new iPad normally without a 4G data plan given the high resolution?

- What is the difference between bluetooth 4.0 and bluetooth 2.x? The new iPad has 4.0, but I'm seeing the Android tablets stuck at 2.x.

- Does Icecream Sandwich 4.0 have tablet optimized apps?

- I know you won't get Samsung Note 10.1 (upcoming) technology, but are there apps-stylus's that can allow basic note-taking and scribbling on either ipad or android tablets?

- Ipad integrates nicely with other devices for example through Apple TV. Are android tablets able to also interact with other devices?

- How tedious is data transfers on a usb compared to doing so with iTunes?

- Lastly, what is the practical difference in the ability to multitask between the two?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
One thing to consider too is the timely software updates on the iPad, like for the OS, - since the hardware and software are both from one company.

In the Android world, unless the tablet is made and sold by Google itself (?), one is basically dependent on the the tablet vendor applying the Android updates, which can be hit or miss. Notice how Android-based phones are sometimes not as up-to-date in the OS as, the Google Nexus phone, which seems to get more timely updates.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
More questions about tablets (i'lll be getting really deep into this until I take the plunge). Still undecided on Android vs. IPad, though I'm leaning iPad, but I have no bias towards either. Questions of the moment if anyone has any takes--

- Is the new iPad useable with the Wi-Fi 16GB? With that new resolution, and with apps having to be re-coded, i'm hearing that downloading or reading one magazine is already 1GB. And having a normal amount of apps already has 10 GB......is the iPad 16GB wi-fi severely restricted?

- Can you use the new iPad normally without a 4G data plan given the high resolution?

- What is the difference between bluetooth 4.0 and bluetooth 2.x? The new iPad has 4.0, but I'm seeing the Android tablets stuck at 2.x.

- I know you won't get Samsung Note 10.1 (upcoming) technology, but are there apps-stylus's that can allow basic note-taking and scribbling on either ipad or android tablets?

- Ipad integrates nicely with other devices for example through Apple TV. Are android tablets able to also interact with other devices?

- Lastly, what is the practical difference in the ability to multitask between the two?
The apps are very small in size. For example, I just looked at the size of the Cosmopolitan UK magazine at the App Store, and it's 3.7MB, and this one is a very large magazine. Besides, once you are done reading a magazine you don't have to keep it in the iPad.

iPads are offered with two options, either Wi-Fi and 3G (4G for the iPad 3), or Wi-Fi alone. I bought an iPad 2 with 3G for my wife, but got 3G because once a year she uses temporary 3G service from AT&T when she visits her mother. She just buys a $25.00 3G card from the phone company, and can use it for a month.

The high resolution on the iPad 3 screen uses more battery power, and that's it. That's the reason why it comes with a different battery than the ones used on other iPads. The screen is something like having enough resolution for a 27" screen packed into a 10" screen, so photos, video, etc., now look a lot better. 3G or 4G has nothing to do with it.

The idea of having 4G is for faster downloads of video (for example) while you are watching it. In this case the movie has no jitters, it does not stop and then starts again, etc. Also, it allows for seamless video teleconferencing.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:02 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Same price

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
SKip the IPAD3 look up the ASUS Transformers they are coming out with an even newer one in the summer called Asus T7000 quad core tablet
ASUS Transformer Prime TF201-B1-GR Eee Pad 10.1-Inch 32GB Tablet (Amethyst Gray) $576 from Amazon

The new iPad 32GB is $599

Old 03-25-2012, 06:24 PM

17 posts, read 59,259 times
Thank you for the help. I think I have made a decision based on what was mentioned here and at the stores I have been randomly visiting. Getting my questions answered by different staff does help too.

As for the whole keyboard and mouse question. I used to have the first iphone that my boyfriend gave to me. I used it for sometime until someone stole it. I would still be using it if that did not happen. It was not active I just used it in wi-fi areas. This is pretty much why I am looking for a tablet. I tend not to upgrade myself if the old thing is still working for me.

Thank you all for the help.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Not sure where you are hearing that but that is flat out wrong.
"Downloading" a magazine as has been said is nowhere near 1GB. A 50 page PDF document can be less the 8MB, why would a magazine be 1,000 times that? And a "normal" amount of Apps is nowhere near 10GB. You need to stop listening to whoever is telling you this. I have a ton of Android apps on my phone... at least 40... and combined they don't equal 1GB. It's the same with iOS. Wife has a 16GB iPad2 and has many apps and has zero problems (except with iCloud). Not a fan of iCloud. You need to pay Apple for the extra space if you want to really use iCloud.

Not sure what you mean. You can use the iPad normally with or without the data plan.

BT 4.0 is faster for doing downloads through BT. And it supports more option for streaming music/video to BT 4.0 devices. BT version should not be a factor in your decision.

Yes, and more every day.

AFAIK the Note is the only one really doing this right now.

Yes, but Apple does have the edge here with the Apple TV appliance.

When you transfer things to iTunes you are also using USB so I am not exactly sure what you mean here. Are you refering to iCloud?

With the recent updates to the iOS ecosystem, Apple closed the "multitasking" gap. They are equal in this regard now.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:46 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
ItalianButterfly - sounds like we have very similar desires and habits. I too keep using something as long as I can make it work for me. I also need something for non wi-fi areas. I am not a heavy user and only use intermittently on vacations.
What did you decide on? I want the Galaxy Note but not the expensive plan that I don't need. So I may end up with the Galaxy Note 2 7.0 which started pre-order today. That or maybe a used iPad 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets