Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 01:48 PM

398 posts, read 751,393 times

Advertisements

Hello had a quick question and didn't want to make an account at any other tech sites...so will ask on here.

I sometimes need to test on Mac using Safari for website design, otherwise I never use it. I have a Mac Mini with monitor, keyboard, etc SOLELY for this purpose.

I was thinking of selling it and getting an iPad 3 instead. Could I test Safari on this? I am thinking maybe esp b/c of the new high resolution, it would also be useful for other things like an ebook reader instead of taking up room on my desk with the mac.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 04:47 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
The Safari apps for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod are very small in size compared to the Safari application used on the Mac. There are a lot of features in the full-size Safari used on Macs that the safari app lacks, so more than likely you can only test the Safari app if using the iPad.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The Safari apps for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod are very small in size compared to the Safari application used on the Mac. There are a lot of features in the full-size Safari used on Macs that the safari app lacks, so more than likely you can only test the Safari app if using the iPad.
It's okay if features aren't there, I wouldn't be debugging or anything through Safari, I am just wondering if it renders things the same. I know iOS is trying to become more in looks like Lion, so thought they might have the same engine running and display things the same.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I think you mean OSX is changing to work more and more like an iPad does. I don't think Safari is exactly the same on the iPad. I've run into sites that would work on one, but not the other several times. However, that's pretty rare. I think the iPad could work for what you want.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think you mean OSX is changing to work more and more like an iPad does. I don't think Safari is exactly the same on the iPad. I've run into sites that would work on one, but not the other several times. However, that's pretty rare. I think the iPad could work for what you want.
Yeah that is what I meant, OS X starting to look more like iOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets