U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 06:10 PM

9,315 posts, read 10,511,231 times

Advertisements

Nice, but honestly it's more like a smartphone (that can't make calls) with a seven inch screen rather than like a laptop with a seven inch screen.

Compared to my 14 inch laptop it has the same stripped down functionality as my iPhone. Example: Facebook. has the same features and lack thereof as the app found on my phone. Bigger screen tho.

Typing is faster and easier than on my iphone, but slower and harder than on my laptop.

Basically we'll use it for travel. As we do with the laptop. It is perfect for air travel. However, for car travel the laptop wins.

Have had it for two weeks and the final verdict is: meh. Not something that I would ever consider as my primary computer. OK for travel when space and weight are a critical factor-and you feel the screen on your smartphone is too small.

Well, we got the tablet as a gift. Otherwise we would not posses a tablet.

Last edited by Mr5150; 08-04-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 AM

1,826 posts, read 4,912,031 times
I have a Nexus 7, but my review of it is very different from yours.

I also have an HP Touchpad 10" tablet, which I run Android on via CM9. Over the last 6 months the TP tablet has replaced 98% of my laptop usage and now my desktop doesn't even have a monitor or keyboard, these days it has been repurposed into a media server, general storage, and a point to RDP into.

A few weeks ago the Nexus 7 came into the picture and has almost completely replaced my TP. The N7 is light, fast, and the size makes it far more portable than my TP. I primarily browse the web, watch videos, read books, send email, and play games. The WiFi and Bluetooth protocols are better than my CM9 shoehorned TP. This means that I can tether to my car's bt obd2 transmitter, my a2dp BT car stereo, and share unlimited data through my Sprint phone's ad hoc WiFi network which results in streaming Pandora through the n7 to my radio while simultaneously having the n7 display my car's obd2 realtime data with the Torque app...no hiccups.

The new Chrome browser is great, automatically syncs all the bookmarks from my abandoned laptop and will display the desktop version of any site so you can see Facebook or whatever page you want in its desktop glory. Reading is also great, I can hold the n7 in bed for hours with less fatigue than a real book would give me. By contrast, I had to lean my TP against the bed to read with it, way too heavy. You can forget reading on a laptop, I refuse.

One last thing, Google Hangouts. This was the one thing I still used my laptop for, until now. The little front facing n7 camera is almost exclusively useful to video chat, weighs nothing, works perfectly, and takes zero time to get started up.

Maybe some people just don't connect with tablets in general? I can't see myself buying a laptop ever again. I want to see how the Microsoft x86 architecture pro tablets turn out (forget the rt), this may be where my laptop replacement money ends up.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 PM

8,397 posts, read 6,385,057 times
I purchased one today. I didn't even know it was out until Google sent me a email today. I'm going to try it out. I have the first iPad. So I would like a better screen. If I like it, I'll sell my iPad. But I'm hoping the Nexus 7 is not similar to my EVO LTE just a better screen because in that case I don't need it.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,940,998 times
Just how light is the N7?

How would you say it fares for someone who travels constantly? I'd love to throw one in my backpack to pull out whenever if it's light and small.

I'm looking to buy either this or the current Ipad.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 AM

13,258 posts, read 15,346,178 times
Well you are comparing a 10" tablet (that is $300 more base model v base model) to a 7" tablet.
Apples and Oranges, IMO.

If 7 inches is good for you, get this.

If you must have 10... well I'd still recommend an Android over an Apple tablet, but if you must have 10" and you want an Apple, get the iPad...

Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 AM

Or you could test drive this for $130.

Daily Deals, 1 Sale A Day

Iconia's generally get good marks.

I bought a 10" tablet from 1Saleaday for $219.
/Pleased....

The Nexus is better then this, though, but if you want a bargain!!!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 AM

629 posts, read 1,078,096 times
I wanted the Nexus 7 so much, to replace my 2 year old 7-inch tablet.

One problem - my 2 year old tablet still has more features than the Nexus 7:

- Can be used as a phone right out of the box (no modding/rooting)
- Has an unlocked 3G SIM card slot for data/calls and works on multiple GSM bands
- Has a rear camera for stills & video
- Has a MicroSD card slot

It's a ZTE V9, cost me $99 *brand new*, and it's so darn useful that I've put up with an ancient CPU, resistive (!) screen, and Android 2.2 (2.3 if you put on CM7)

I always told myself as soon as a replacement 7-inch tab came out that does everything mine can do, just newer/faster/better OS, for under $200, I would get it.

2 years later I still haven't seen one.

ZTE's own T98 looks like it'll come the closest (though it has ICS and not JB), and I'm pretty sure it won't be anywhere near $200 (though in light of Nexus 7 price, it darn well should be)

Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 AM

That's great that you got a good tablet at a fair price, Topaz. But you are in the minority. Most of us don't WANT a tablet to make phones calls. Mine also has no cellular access... and that is more then fine. Don't want or need that option.
I do hope you find a replacement for that bad boy some day.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:47 PM

3,730 posts, read 7,274,573 times
Typing this from my nexus 7. It won't replace a desktop for work, but I love it. Best bang for your buck right now. I use it for reading online books and training videos. That's all I need it for but I use it for social media too. Its light enough to hold in one hand, and its quite zippy. Plus with google behind it, you are assured it will continue to improve and will always be supported.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 08-17-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Typing this from my nexus 7. It won't replace a desktop for work,
...because it is 7 inches. A 10 inch one certainly could with the right IT Guy configuring it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets