Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM

83 posts, read 268,221 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in buying one for my brother for Christmas but have a couple of questions:

1. I've seen options with Wifi and other options with Wifi and 3G - What is the main difference?

2. Some of the 3G models list AT&T or Verizon for 3G service, but would my brother have to use one of these carriers in order to obtain 3G? He has Sprint...

3. And most importantly, does anyone know where I can get the best prices? Even a trusted website? I would like to ideally get it shipped to him in Miami...

Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-05-2012 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Moved, as this isn't a *local* question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 AM

528 posts, read 935,212 times
I will try to help with some of this as I recently purchased the new iPad (4th generation).

The difference b/w the Wifi and Wifi w/ cellular is that if you buy the wifi only, you can only connect to the internet any place where there is an available wifi connection. For example, at home, you could connect your home wifi but let's say on a road trip in a car, you could not connect b/c there would be no wifi connection available.

If you purchase the wifi & cellular option, you can pay for a plan w/ your cellular carrier (or add to your existing plan) to include your iPad so that you can use your cellular service to facilitate the connection. I'm not a techie so that is my basic explanation, but bottom line, with wifi & cellular, you'll be able to connect pretty much anywhere but it costs more.

However, there is another option which I use. I purchased the wifi only model but added a service to my smartphone plan (share all devices plan) w/ Verizon to be able to create a wifi hotspot using my phone. This hotspot creates a wireless connection whereever I am. Changing my plan added $7 to my monthly bill and enabled me to buy the less expensive iPad model and still be able to use it anywhere. I've used the hotspot several times and it has worked well so far. Only caveat is the phone has to be near the iPad to pick up the connection. It was super easy to set up.

As for price, I bought mine at Target using my "Red card" (which is a card you can get linked to your checking account (not a credit card) and with that got the standard 5% discount given for all Red card purchases. I noticed on Black Friday than some retailers (Target was one) offered the iPad at the usual price (w/ the 5% discount if you use the Red card) but also gave a gift card. Target was offering $60 and I saw other retailers doing this (one for $75 but I can't recall who) so many closer to Xmas these deals will happen again.

Otherwise, I'd check the web (google shopper) and see what you can find on Amazon, B&H, etc. Walmart had a bundle that was nice b/c it included some extra accessories for the standard iPad price that Apple offers.

Anyway, hope this helps and Happy Holidays to you!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Unless you really need to use the iPad on the road, the extra cost of the 3G model may not make sense for you. For example, if you'll primarily just use it at home, then wifi is all you need.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 AM

430 posts, read 626,621 times
Love to travel gave a great through answer. The only thing I'd add to it is to directly address one of the OPs questions, no he couldn't directly connect an iPad with 3G to the Sprint network. He'd have to use the smartphone hotspot Love to travel described which is probably a less expensive solution anyway (not only can you get the less expensive wifi only iPad but it's usually cheaper to add a hot spot to your current phone plan than to add a data plan for the iPad).

I personally went with a wifi only model.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I use a wifi only model with a Verizon Hotspot device (mifi) and get LTE speeds on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets