U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,719 posts, read 5,087,428 times
Reputation: 1467

Advertisements

I am thinking about getting a tablet. That is the electronic device that I would need in order to view ebooks? If so, which tablets should I consider loolking into? And is there a comprehensive list out there of available ebooks?

Thank you.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,016 posts, read 15,125,954 times
Reputation: 9124
If all you want it an "EReader" you should look at the Amazon Kindle, the Barnes and Noble Nook or the Sony E-Reader.
No there is not one comprehensive list.
Go to Barnes and Noble and do a search. Go to Amazon and do a search. Go to your local library website and do a search. GO to Google Play and search. There are millions of titles out there.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
14,063 posts, read 21,720,946 times
Reputation: 8825
Any tablet probably has e-reader apps that can be downloaded. I use Kindle on my iPad.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,719 posts, read 5,087,428 times
Reputation: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If all you want it an "EReader" you should look at the Amazon Kindle, the Barnes and Noble Nook or the Sony E-Reader.
No there is not one comprehensive list.
Go to Barnes and Noble and do a search. Go to Amazon and do a search. Go to your local library website and do a search. GO to Google Play and search. There are millions of titles out there.
Would you recommend either the Kindle or the Nook?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 AM
 
6,494 posts, read 10,641,379 times
Reputation: 11010
I think it would help if you could tell us if you're only looking to read books, or use the tablet for much more? What is your budget? That would help to know, too.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 18,756,506 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I am thinking about getting a tablet. That is the electronic device that I would need in order to view ebooks? If so, which tablets should I consider loolking into? And is there a comprehensive list out there of available ebooks?

Thank you.
I started out reading e-books on my ipad then bought a used Kindle. The kindle is the hands down clear winner for e-book IMO. The Ipad and other tablets are designed as hand held computers better suited to the work that computers would normally be tasked to do. Reading on a tablet is not the designed purpose it's a frill to sell tablets.

So if e-reading is the task at hand your money would be better spent on a simple e-reader like a kindle,nook ,etc. As this link shows there is many more options to selecting a good e-reader. I selected a Kindle due to my Amazon account and ease of e-book selection that fit my tastes. However, as the link shows there really is much to consider to get an e-reader that best suits you. One thing is sure a tablet isn't the best choice for simple e-reading.

Current offering in 2013........
http://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,016 posts, read 15,125,954 times
Reputation: 9124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Would you recommend either the Kindle or the Nook?
Personally if I had to choose an E-Reader it would be the Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight. And this from an Amazon fan. I just like the way B&N have handled the E-Reader market.
They beat Amazon by a large margin when it came to getting books from a library. The Nooks were able to do it when they were released. For Kindles it was added kind of recently.
And other things I think they've just done better at then Amazon.
I like to speak with my dollars.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 18,756,506 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Personally if I had to choose an E-Reader it would be the Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight. And this from an Amazon fan. I just like the way B&N have handled the E-Reader market.
They beat Amazon by a large margin when it came to getting books from a library. The Nooks were able to do it when they were released. For Kindles it was added kind of recently.
And other things I think they've just done better at then Amazon.
I like to speak with my dollars.
On a side note.....
B&N isn't that stable of a company anymore with print going by the wayside. Know that they may not be around long for service of a nook product.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,016 posts, read 15,125,954 times
Reputation: 9124
I don't think B&N is going anywhere. Well, the brick and mortar stores may disappear forever, but I think they will try to be more Amazon-like and concentrate on the electronic market. I haven't given up on them yet.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 18,756,506 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't think B&N is going anywhere. Well, the brick and mortar stores may disappear forever, but I think they will try to be more Amazon-like and concentrate on the electronic market. I haven't given up on them yet.
#2 son manages a B&N store in Chicago and business is brisk but that is a mega city but smaller stores struggle.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top