Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:10 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Well, you managed to dodge a couple of important points I brought up several times already. But oh well, time to go back to playing angry birds on the retina display.
And you completely dodged the title of this thread, which by the way...wasn't about your tablets and engineers

Boeing introduces suite of iPad apps for airplane maintenance crews | Breaking Apple News, Tips and Reviews from The Unofficial Apple Weblog

http://lerablog.org/technology/elect...d-and-android/

http://flightsafety.org/aerosafety-w...12/age-of-ipad

http://www.airlinetrends.com/wp-cont...ds_aug2011.pdf

http://www.bitrebels.com/technology/...ipads-cockpit/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 11:24 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Just so you don't think that I am here to defend the iPad: regardless of which tablet a company or anyone decides to create the most sophisticated apps in the world for, the tablet chosen is just a tool. In your case your company is creating an specific app for an specific purpose and tablet, but other companies are creating other apps for the same reasons and other tablets. It is just like digital cameras, or even automobiles, as some use one brand or model, while another person uses another.

While your company has done a lot better with the specific tablet it has chosen, it does not mean that another company cannot do just as well as your company using another tablet. The bottom-line is that regardless of what tablet is used by the company, it can't survive without customers, and that's the reason why software manufacturers have been creating apps in accordance to what their customers want instead of what the company itself wants.

Nowadays the companies or individuals that are the most creative are the ones selling the most products, and also are the most customer oriented for obvious reasons. Believing that your engineers are the best or are using the best tablet out there probably makes you feel good, but that's all.

Now, if you can show us in this forum how well your market share is compared to the rest in the same market sector, then I would certainly agree with you that your engineers and tablets are the "best there is" and that the rest are just emailing toys.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-17-2014 at 11:47 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 06:53 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
The ipad and android tablets are toys and will remain toys. My company has invested much effort, resources, and time to try to make either one of these work in the business environment. In the end, they just end up being very expensive email machines.

The biggest problem with either of these types of tablets is while there are "productivity" apps out there for people to use, when they want to transfer the work over to their laptops or desktops to sit down and do more work they can't. iOS makes you jump through fiery hoops to transfer any data anywhere, and android crashes at random when you try to do any type of data transfer.

Right now, we are doing field tests with windows 8 tablets. I'm responsible for the LOB app that will allow our engineers to do work (calculations, communications, construction plan revisions, reports, etc.) right out in the field with their microsoft surfaces. The wonderful thing about the LOB app I've been working on is once the engineers come back to their offices they can simply put down their tablets and continue working on their desktops and laptops from right where they left off on their tablets. How is this possible? There are 2 versions of my app: the metro and the desktop. The metro will run on the tablets and the desktop version will run on any windows machine from xp to 8/8.1. The two versions sync data with each other in real time.

If I'm holding my tablet with the LOB app open and someone else is working on my laptop logged into my company account, I can literally see everything that person does on the desktop version of my app.

Again, these aren't simple spreadsheets and such. The work that my app does are very powerful engineering calculations and such.

If people continue to insist on hating windows 8, then by all means continue to use toys (iOS and android) for your work. My company is done with both of those.
If you think ios makes you jump through hoops than I have to call bs. That is probably the best thing about osx, iOS and so on, they just integrate so well.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about when the file is a pdf, doc, excel, etc. Yes, when we're inspecting a construction project, with ipads we can't even share with each other a damn pdf file. But boy, can we play angry birds with the ipad. It's got a retina display, did you know that? We can brag to the construction workers that we can play angry birds on an ultra clear screen. And there's even an apple logo on the device!

Regarding our LOB, unless iOS or android makes its way to the desktop, most of businesses will continue to use windows.
AIRDROP. seriously? You just send it and it appears, doesn't need wifi or cellular. Jeez. You clearly don't even understand what your "toy" is capable of. That is your fault.

I can send any of the file types you mentioned from one ipad to another. If your "engineers" can't figure that out I think I know where the real problem lies.

Here pass this along to you engineers. I know that Bluetooth must seem sort of newfangled compared to USB, but it is 2014....and airdrop has been around for THREE years now.
http://ipad.about.com/od/iPad_Guide/...es-It-Work.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirDrop

Old 03-02-2014, 04:50 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
My iPad is my toy. I only use it for fun and only when I need portability. All other times, such as this board, I want a keyboard and a mouse.

I have a goal to get "Apple free by July three". So as soon as I determine the best tablet solution (android or windows), I'll be out of the Apple world for good.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If you think ios makes you jump through hoops than I have to call bs. That is probably the best thing about osx, iOS and so on, they just integrate so well.
But only with their own kind. Apple does not play well with others, so you need to be either 100% Apple or 0% Apple.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
i don't dispute that ios devices are very popular among corporations. Most of them turn into very expensive email devices.

if you want to make the argument that more people using something = that something is necessarily better, then we should all go out and eat poop. A trillion flies can't be wrong.
Good one.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:55 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But only with their own kind. Apple does not play well with others, so you need to be either 100% Apple or 0% Apple.
That is not true anymore;

Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
I won't have an ipad, I use my HKC 7" tablet instead which works just as well.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not true for true shared programs.

Now I am about 90% apple since I really only use PCs for ArcGIS, and Sigmaplot but with the exception of those two programs I will absolutely choose to use a mac over anything else, since it always goes smoother.

What I have found is that on shared software, like say office, apple can open anything without loss of functionality but the opposite is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets