Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Not true for true shared programs.

Now I am about 90% apple since I really only use PCs for ArcGIS, and Sigmaplot but with the exception of those two programs I will absolutely choose to use a mac over anything else, since it always goes smoother.

What I have found is that on shared software, like say office, apple can open anything without loss of functionality but the opposite is not true.
Not only that, but after opening and working on the Office (Word, and so forth) file, one can save it to a disk or drive on the same format for PC, then take the disk or drive to work and continue working at it on a PC.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-07-2014 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What I have found is that on shared software, like say office, apple can open anything without loss of functionality but the opposite is not true.
Have you ever used Office on a PC? There is no comparable software on Apple... especially Excel. Even Excel on OSX is very limited compared to the PC version.

The flip side is that when it comes to UNIX software, Windows has the worst support.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:47 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Not only that, but after opening and working on the Office (Word, and so forth) file, one can save it to a disk or drive on the same format for PC, then take the disk or drive to work and continue working at it on a PC.
or one could use CloudOn with a DropBox account (or others) and have full blown Office 2013 on your iPad or Android device.

CloudOn | brings Microsoft Office(R) to your favorite device

Old 03-10-2014, 10:42 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,387,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Again, why not simply give the user the option to transfer data via usb? Our engineers sometimes need to be out there to make sure our construction projects work according to specs. If apple really wanted people to be able to work with their ipads on-the-go, then don't limit data transfer to network oriented. Give us the option to quickly transfer files via usb.

Regardless, much to the disappointment of the people in our corporate office, the ipads that they got us are next to useless. They've turned into very expensive email devices. On the other hand, the windows tablets that we got are showing a lot of promise. Field testers are happy with them. The biggest plus from our people so far is the fact that they can transfer files back and forth on-the-go without the need to connect to a network. Regarding our LOB app that is designed to work alongside with the desktop version that works on everything from xp and newer, our people are proving that work are being done a lot more efficiently when they don't have to deal with the iOS BS regarding file transfer.

Back when our corporate heads were convinced that the ipad was the answer to everything, it was frustrating as hell for us engineers to tell them the ipad was useless in real life. Sure, they make fancy email machines, but they're not much good for anything else.

Every office I've visited where people were given an ipad from their company only use them for emails. Every person I've asked about their ipad don't really have an answer to how their ipad has made their work more efficient. But it's cool to have an ipad! You could, like, show people the apple logo.
I agree with your sentiments. I am in the AEC industry and my firm bought us iPads when they first came out in 2010. Expensive email machines is a good way to put it. Some downloaded third party software to attempt to do markups on the fly, but marking up with a stylus on the iPad is so inaccurate that it was more effort than it's worth. Then Apple cut off the iPad 1 after iOS 5.5 and now email and browsing is all they can really do.

I bought a Surface Pro 2 and have been using it quite a bit at work, and it seems to be getting a lot of attention from the rest of the office. One second I can be marking up PDF's on Drawboard, and the next I can open PhotoShop, Illustrator, Sketchup, or even Revit and do actual work. It's been great for taking work to the jobsite or taking it home without having to mess with transferring data back and forth. I haven't touched my iPad in months.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I just can't get over the pricing on the SPro 2.
I'd rather by a nice laptop for that money.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Have you ever used Office on a PC? There is no comparable software on Apple... especially Excel. Even Excel on OSX is very limited compared to the PC version.

The flip side is that when it comes to UNIX software, Windows has the worst support.
I am a researcher and own both a Mac and a PC. Both new, both powerful. I need he PC for two programs, ArcGIS and sigma plot but both have office. I use excel daily, mostly to manipulate data as the heavy stats go into SPSS but usually through excel. I will not graph in either excel for Mac or PC as it is inane. I mostly use sigma plot but occasionally matlab.

Now what functionality am I missing in the Mac version of excel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets