Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 04:46 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times

Advertisements

Day 8....with my Kindle Fire 7" HDX,and I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE IT!

The display is "mind-blowing",incredible!

The light weight is perfect,but heavy enough to feel like it has substantial quality.

The transition between screens is fluid.

Love the Silk Internet Browser.

Sometimes I have to tap harder than I expect to,I think because I am more used to the 'whisper touch' it takes for my Kindle Touch eReader,and now my Galaxy phone, too, but that is a small complaint.

Heat of the charger and battery life are my two biggest complaints.Definitely have to charge it once a day or at bedtime,at least.

Today my 3-pack screen protectors arrive and my rooCASE.... Amazon.com: rooCASE Case for Amazon All-New Kindle Fire HDX 7 - Dual-View Folio Case HDX 7" Tablet - NAVY (With Auto Wake / Sleep Cover): Electronics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 06:28 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Sometimes I have to tap harder than I expect to,I think because I am more used to the 'whisper touch' it takes for my Kindle Touch eReader,and now my Galaxy phone, too, but that is a small complaint.
Touch screens are not pressure sensitive, so pressing harder shouldn't make a difference. Not sure why you think you need to press harder.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Touch screens are not pressure sensitive, so pressing harder shouldn't make a difference. Not sure why you think you need to press harder.
I have no clue either,but sometimes my Kindle Fire does not respond unless I 'tap'[not press] harder. I never press. I Swipe or Tap.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:50 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times
Can you read from the Kindle Fire outdoors, or is there less visibility than the Kindle Paperwhite would have?

I've never had a Kindle and am seriously thinking of getting one. Do all the Kindles show the book covers (front, back, inside covers?); as well as any appendices or glossaries the book might have?

Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Can you read from the Kindle Fire outdoors, or is there less visibility than the Kindle Paperwhite would have?

I've never had a Kindle and am seriously thinking of getting one. Do all the Kindles show the book covers (front, back, inside covers?); as well as any appendices or glossaries the book might have?
I have never been one to read outdoors,but from what I have read in the Amazon Kindle forums and their descriptions of the different Kindles...no the Kindle Fires are NOT what you want,if you like to read outdoors.

For that, you definitely want an e-ink reader,and the Paperwhite would be an excellent choice. I did not buy my Kindle Fire for reading ebooks on.I have the e-ink Kindle Touch which I love,but if the Paperwhite was around 3 years ago,I would have bought it,instead.

My Kindle Touch does show the front covers,and I believe "any appendices or glossaries", but not back covers. It is wonderful to have so many books at my fingertips stored on such a light device,and the e-ink actually feels soothing to read over paper text.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:25 PM

I don't usually read outdoors, except for maps or directions, which I wouldn't expect to find in a Kindle anyway. I was just curious. I would want a Kindle that had adjustable font sizes and have very clear visibility indoors in different kinds of lighting; and inclusion of colored book covers and (if present) interior illustrations would be a huge plus.

Can one read the Kindle Fire inside a parked car on a sunny day?

How often do you have to recharge the battery of a Kindle Fire? Every day, or less frequently? I was looking at the Kindle Fire HD 7", 8 GB model.

And, forgive my ignorance, I've never owned or used a tablet, are there extra fees if I use a Kindle Fire, beyond what I pay for internet/broadband?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I don't usually read outdoors, except for maps or directions, which I wouldn't expect to find in a Kindle anyway. I was just curious. I would want a Kindle that had adjustable font sizes and have very clear visibility indoors in different kinds of lighting; and inclusion of colored book covers and (if present) interior illustrations would be a huge plus.

Can one read the Kindle Fire inside a parked car on a sunny day?

How often do you have to recharge the battery of a Kindle Fire? Every day, or less frequently? I was looking at the Kindle Fire HD 7", 8 GB model.

And, forgive my ignorance, I've never owned or used a tablet, are there extra fees if I use a Kindle Fire, beyond what I pay for internet/broadband?

This is embarrassing,but I must apologize for giving you incorrect info.The e-ink readers do NOT show the book covers at all,in color or otherwise,except on your Kindle for PC APP!

I put all my downloaded books into categories by genre,as soon as I DL them,and I just checked and only the titles show.Don't know how I forgot that!

The covers 'would' show on a Kindle Fire and in color[same with interior illustrations, if they are supposed to be in color.] All the Kindles have adjustable font size,but only the e-ink readers are known for 'no-glare' reading outdoors. I would imagine that you could read the KF inside a parked car on a sunny day without much problem.

I have to charge my Kindle Fire every day,but that's because I play games and watch youtube and movie trailers.

No fees to use your Kindle unless you get the 3-4 G,and I believe you must have a plan with those [like a cell phone's Data] plan. Since my home has Wi-Fi,I just got the Wi-Fi version.

Believe me I asked lots of questions on the Kindle forums.

This info may help.

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Kindle Paperwhite in Color?

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Kindle Paperwhite in Color?

Kindle Fire IPS display vs Kindle Touch E-Ink [Video] - SlashGear

It depends on what is most important for you to do with your Kindle. To read books with [and my library has many kindle books to loan] besides all the freebies I have DL,which e-ink is best for. or would you rather have a tablet to access the internet with,play videos/games,then you need a tablet.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:28 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I have a Kindle Fire and a Kindle Touch eReader, which will be upgraded to the Paperwhite when they release the 3rd generation one, supposedly later this year. You can read on a Fire but it's not as nice an experience as using an eReader. The text is clearer, it's back lit with a non-glare screen you can use easily outside and it's lighter and easier to hold with one hand and for a longer period of time. I use the Fire, but my 10 year old uses it most of the time, and since my primary use is reading books, it made sense for us to have both.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:59 PM

So, is this summation accurate:

Kindle Paperwhite:
battery might last longer, possibly for weeks.
black & white everything.
excellent visibility indoors and out.
no book covers included.
No extra internet access needed (except when downloading books?, or at least no extra internet access beside my own desktop computer).

Kindle Fire:
battery lasts up to a day or so, possibly more, if you're just reading books.
shows book covers, and illustrations, and magazine graphics, in color.
not very good visibility outdoors, not as easy to read indoors as the Paperwhite?
Slightly heavier than the Paperwhite.
extra internet access needed if you want to play games and go to YouTube.

And do all Kindles work with Apple/Mac computers?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:32 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
So, is this summation accurate:

Kindle Paperwhite:
battery might last longer, possibly for weeks. yes
black & white everything. yes
excellent visibility indoors and out. yes
no book covers included. yes
No extra internet access needed (except when downloading books?, or at least no extra internet access beside my own desktop computer). My books are automatically uploaded to the Kindle via Wifi. I think you can also use a USB cord if you want to connect to a computer. No 3G connection on the Kindle.

Kindle Fire:
battery lasts up to a day or so, possibly more, if you're just reading books. Probably but I don't think we've ever just read books with it. I charge it overnight pretty much every night.
shows book covers, and illustrations, and magazine graphics, in color. Yes, beautiful color display.
not very good visibility outdoors, not as easy to read indoors as the Paperwhite? Visibility is not good outdoors in sunlight, but is ok in shade. It's fine for inside but the screen is reflective and can be a little glare-y. Paperwhite has a non-reflective screen that I find easier to read.
Slightly heavier than the Paperwhite. Mine is noticeably heavier but it's old so probably it's lighter but then again, newer Paperwhites are probably light too.
extra internet access needed if you want to play games and go to YouTube. Depends on what you buy. I have Wifi only, no 3G connection so I have to be on Wifi to stream videos, check email, go online, etc.

And do all Kindles work with Apple/Mac computers?
Not an Apple person, so can't answer that.
Answers in red above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets