Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 06:34 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times

Advertisements

Ruthe prices are usually the same elsewhere, except that its Christmas shopping season. Watch out for deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 03:01 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Wherever you buy it, I'd recommend you to get Apple Care.

Some may disagree, and that's OK, but I've always been thankful for the extra support & warrantee.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 11,270 times
The two very nice tablets, the iPad mini with retina display and the iPad air, have very identical specs. The only differences are their price and screen sizes. The iPad air having a 9.7 inch screen at $499 and the iPad mini with retina display having a 7.9 inch screen at $399. So it all depends on if you want a larger more expensive screen or if you want a more portable cheaper screen.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:47 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
I upgraded from an original mini to an Air 2 LTE 128GB in gold...

The

best

tablet

ever.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:02 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
This is all great great advice - thank you everyone!

Old 12-06-2014, 06:52 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
^^ Be sure and let us know which you choose!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:50 PM

178 posts, read 147,674 times
One more benefit is if you can speak in a normal voice you can use the Apple voice recognition system. All you have to do is tap on the microphone logo just to the left of the spacebar when the keyboard appears and begin speaking in a normal voice. It does make mistakes, but I find it relatively easy to correct. For example, I am dictating this entire post on my iPad air.

Between that and the ability to borrow books from my public library on my iPad, I find owning an iPad to be almost essential.

Good luck with whatever you select.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Brookboy - that would be a great feature.

Indeed I will let you all know which one I get and why.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:41 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,456 times
Tossing in, I have a mini Retina (second gen.) and I love it. For me, it's all about the size. I want the smaller e-reader-size to make it more comfortable to hold it one hand.
I have a $12 bluetooth keyboard I've got on it, also, to make it more user-friendly.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:43 AM

Thanks itsMeFred! That's what it has come down to for me -- which is most comfortable to hold for an extended period of time.

I played with both at Best Buy (since that's the only store we could find nearby (no Apple Store around) that had touchable iPads - most were under glass cases like Snow White). I'll go with the Air if Santa can find a case like football coaches have that has an adjustable strap into which I can stick my hand, and if he can't find that, I'll go with the Mini.

So everyone - I like both, but my preference is the Air simply because of the bigger screen, but the Mini is OK, too. Anything smaller than that (an iPhone for example) wouldn't work for me and my project.

I was so surprised to find that I don't believe the learning curve is going to be as steep as I thought for this technology-challenged person. Within a few minutes standing there in Best Buy I figured out how to adjust the "keyboard", to increase the font size, to turn on the vertical/horizontal feature (whatever it's called to be able to hold the device vertically or horizontally and the screen automatically flips).

Thank you everyone for your input! And TJ the American Black Bear thanks you, too. Believe it or not it took a bear to pull me into the 21st century (something my family couldn't do :-). TJ will be getting a new exhibit area at our zoo, and using an Apple App we will be observing him before/during/after construction to see what he thinks and how he behaves. The best part is that the new exhibit will be grand enough to bring in a Mrs. TJ -- he's going to love that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets