Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 07:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

I have a desktop Windows 7 gaming system, a Macbook Pro, a Dell laptop, an Asus Aspire one laptop and an HTC smartphone.

I saw the thread asking for suggestions on purchasing a cheap tablet and from the responses see that the prices seem dirt cheap, cool...

But then I stop and ask myself what do I need one for other than have another techno-paperweight.

I'm open to all replies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 10:28 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
It depends if you travel or not. IMPOV I have all the everything you've listed (by different manufacturers) plus three tablets. Since I travel in work related activities, its extremely easier to travel with three tablets (Android (Samsung, Windows (Toshiba), IOS (Apple)) then to carry two laptops (Mac, Windows) like I used to. Keep in mind that there is no 100% compatibility across all three platforms. As I home user, I'd go with the Android device due to the multitude of things it can do in ones home.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:57 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It depends if you travel or not. IMPOV I have all the everything you've listed (by different manufacturers) plus three tablets. Since I travel in work related activities, its extremely easier to travel with three tablets (Android (Samsung, Windows (Toshiba), IOS (Apple)) then to carry two laptops (Mac, Windows) like I used to. Keep in mind that there is no 100% compatibility across all three platforms. As I home user, I'd go with the Android device due to the multitude of things it can do in ones home.
Sounds intriguing, now I travel with my Macbook Pro and use VMware/Windows 7.

Lighter, less cumbersome I like that idea...

Old 04-05-2015, 02:49 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
I decided against replacing my old laptop in favor of a larger tablet (Galaxy Note Pro 12). Of course it cost as much as a mid range laptop would have, but I've come to prefer it for most of the things I used to use a laptop for.

I have a keyboard cover and mouse, and use it laptop style for taking notes, surfing, etc, but can also pop the cover off or fold it over and use it comfortably as a tablet.

It has all the benefits of a phone platform (light weight, instant on, cameras, apps, etc), and at this size, I don't really see me having another laptop (maybe a Windows tablet somewhere down the road).

Old 04-06-2015, 08:01 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I do presentations with my iPad on occasion. It's heck of a lot easier with the iPad, Airplay, and an Apple TV, though it can be done with a wire. The laptop just gets in the way. Before the Apple TV, we controlled the laptop wirelessly from the iPad, so that's an option too.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:16 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
That is absolutely cray that you travel with 3 Tablets Pruzhany. What on Earth would you need one for each OS for?
You are a giant nerd. Thanks for making me feel like NOT so much a giant nerd.

I have all that, too, plhwit. The iPad is a paperweight. The Android tablet became my wife's e-reader when the Windows tablet replaced it for me. Ever since I got the Windows tablet, I barely touch any of the others anymore. What could any of them do that my full blown Windows tablet cannot? Nothing...

Old 04-06-2015, 09:00 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
What could any of them do that my full blown Windows tablet cannot? Nothing...
Android apps

I do some Android development, so I need an Android tablet, but I can see where a Windows tablet could be my "go to" portable device.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Pretty soon we can run Android apps in Chrome.

Do you know if you need to write the app specifically to work in Chrome? I haven't read up on it much.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That is absolutely cray that you travel with 3 Tablets Pruzhany. What on Earth would you need one for each OS for?
You are a giant nerd. Thanks for making me feel like NOT so much a giant nerd.

I have all that, too, plhwit. The iPad is a paperweight. The Android tablet became my wife's e-reader when the Windows tablet replaced it for me. Ever since I got the Windows tablet, I barely touch any of the others anymore. What could any of them do that my full blown Windows tablet cannot? Nothing...
It's a lot easier then when I carried a Macbook Pro and a Ultrabook. I carry the Toshiba because it has a real copy of MS office on it, can connect USB devices to it and HDMI is usable on it and printing from it is pretty easy. I carry the Samsung due to many of the apps I use work better on it and it and has flash. I carry the iPad for battery life as it my leisure unit for reading and watching movies. I also have a Chromebook, but its not used for travelling. Its used for internet access only.

Now lets talk costs. The two laptops were around $3000. Yet all the tablets (including the Chromebook) were less than $1000.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
I already had an iPhone 4, a nice Sony eReader, a pair of home laptops plus a work laptop, and a couple of media servers, and I was asking myself the same question two years ago.

I was perfectly happy with using my iPhone to surf almost everywhere, and using a laptop to do anything I needed to do at home. My eReader was fine for books most of the time, tho the lack of illumination from the non-backlit ePaper display was an issue sometimes.

To help myself figure out why I might want or not want a tablet, I spent some time with my wife's 10" Galaxy Note. Conclusion: too big! :-)

The next step was to get something in the form factor I thought I might want for as little money as possible. This let me see if I would actually use the thing, and also would give me a chance to see how much memory and horsepower I thought I would need. So I picked up a noname Chinese Android wifi-only tablet on eBay for $45.

After playing around with it for a while, I came to the following conclusions ... just for myself.

(1) A 7" tablet is better than an iPhone or a non-backlit 5" eReader for reading on an airplane. :-)
(2) A 7" tablet is better than my little iPhone 4 for certain types of web surfing and for viewing Netflix.
(3) A single core processor was sometimes enough, but not if I decided to do more than one thing at a time. For me, this is a problem.
(4) No name tablets can die without warning, and I found that I missed it immediately.

While I can't fit the 7" tablet in my pocket, it's a LOT smaller than a laptop, and the two seem to complement each other well. I use the tablet for reading and video, both for tunes and web surfing, and the iPhone for texting and phone calls.

My conclusion: 7" is a good size for my own use, but I needed at least a duel core name brand tablet that had wifi and a card slot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets