Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 08:54 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

Been trying to prep my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab tablet so that I can install Ubuntu on it. I've found that this particular tablet has a lot of limitations when it comes to running certain apps on it. And the ones I have ran seem to be quite buggy. Thank God this tablet was free!

Anyways, I tried to root the tablet. One step in the process was to revert the OS back to version 3.0 something. It was currently on version 4.x. That process seemed to fail, so I decided to whip and reload. When I did so, I discovered that the tablet reverted back to version 2.x. I figured, OK, usually an older version means that I should be able to root it much easier. Well, it did root, but I guess the process I took is for tablets that run that particular version number, 3.x. I tried to upgrade the tablet, but the upgrade process seems to be broken. All in all, whenever I boot the darn thing up, it has a big "error" symbol underneath the logo. It boots up, but half of the stuff seems not to work.

Just wondering, has anybody else attempted this? If so, what were your results? The tablet isn't my "main" tablet (I have an iPad). This one is basically for testing purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:52 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Tried to do this years ago on an early version of Ubuntu touch (?), but failed. Also on an old Samsung tablet given to me.
I seem to recall that Ubuntu Touch (?) will only work with a limited number of mobile devices. Less than 5 devices only, if I remember correctly. I ran out of patience.

I didn't have much time then cause I had gotten into, of all things, reloading ammo! That was more fun, challenging and oddly enough, relaxing, than the nerdy, geeky pursuit of computer tech.

Having said that, maybe if I find that tablet in the basement somewhere, I'll give it another whirl. Maybe with a version of Android this time.

Good luck on your pursuit. Hope you have a lot of hair to pull out.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:47 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Tried to do this years ago on an early version of Ubuntu touch (?), but failed. Also on an old Samsung tablet given to me.
I seem to recall that Ubuntu Touch (?) will only work with a limited number of mobile devices. Less than 5 devices only, if I remember correctly. I ran out of patience.

I didn't have much time then cause I had gotten into, of all things, reloading ammo! That was more fun, challenging and oddly enough, relaxing, than the nerdy, geeky pursuit of computer tech.

Having said that, maybe if I find that tablet in the basement somewhere, I'll give it another whirl. Maybe with a version of Android this time.

Good luck on your pursuit. Hope you have a lot of hair to pull out.
Yeah I found out it wasn't nearly as easy as what some of these guys make it out to be that post the tutorials. One guy left out so many details that I searched for another tutorial. I was able to root the thing, but the rooting features didn't work. Thank God it's not my main tablet! I'll probably wind up bricking it, lol, but I liked the idea of having a tablet running Linux on it.

I did read where the onscreen keyboard didn't function correctly on it once you have it installed. Not sure if anybody has figured that part out yet - I'd just like to get to that point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets