Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 01:00 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,212 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me here. I recently bought an iPad, and when I go to the city-data forums, the font size is SO tiny. It looks like a 6pt font. It's bigger even on my phone. I can zoom in and move around, but when I click on the next page, it's back to needing a microscope. Zooming in on each page doesn't seem like a good solution.

I tried Tapatalk, and it won't log into City-Data.

I tried going to
Settings > General > Accessibility > Larger Text On, max size

And then the browser favorites are large, but still microscopic text.

Then I tried other browsers, like Opera and Chrome, same thing. It's still microscopic.

Any ideas on how I could make the text size larger, and ideally in column view like it does on the phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 03:10 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
In regards to Tapatalk, it is np longer available oc CD due to security issues.

Currently CD is Beta testing these mobile apps.

//www.city-data.com/forum/about...om-mobile.html

Old 06-21-2015, 11:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
On my Samsung there's a toggle setting for desktop or not. If yours has one it might help.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:00 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Hi everyone! I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me here. I recently bought an iPad, and when I go to the city-data forums, the font size is SO tiny. It looks like a 6pt font. It's bigger even on my phone. I can zoom in and move around, but when I click on the next page, it's back to needing a microscope. Zooming in on each page doesn't seem like a good solution.

I tried Tapatalk, and it won't log into City-Data.

I tried going to
Settings > General > Accessibility > Larger Text On, max size

And then the browser favorites are large, but still microscopic text.

Then I tried other browsers, like Opera and Chrome, same thing. It's still microscopic.

Any ideas on how I could make the text size larger, and ideally in column view like it does on the phone?
Are you looking at it in Landscape or Portrait mode?

I have an iPad, and noticed a great difference between the two modes. I just use Landscape mode and sometimes carefully stretch the page to the size of the comment boxes. But then that has to be redone when one goes to another page.

Still, it's very easy to read. You might think about taking it into an Apple store for a little consult.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:01 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I do the same thing. I double tap the text and it zooms to the width of the text. When someone post a huge photo, though, it screws up the page and that method won't help anymore. I know of no way to change the text size in Safari and in some other apps. Glasses help me to be able to read on it.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:09 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I do the same thing. I double tap the text and it zooms to the width of the text. When someone post a huge photo, though, it screws up the page and that method won't help anymore. I know of no way to change the text size in Safari and in some other apps. Glasses help me to be able to read on it.
Thanks. I've done that by accident and never realized what did it. I love learning something new!

Old 06-22-2015, 11:53 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,212 times
Thanks folks, that helps! It sounds like what I'm looking for doesn't exist, and I should just 'get used' to double tapping each page. Kind of a bummer, but good to confirm.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Thanks folks, that helps! It sounds like what I'm looking for doesn't exist, and I should just 'get used' to double tapping each page. Kind of a bummer, but good to confirm.
it might exist. i just never reaally looked for an app that can do that.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 PM

I was on another forum and noticed that the reader* (not sure what it's called) feature worked on that forum. It let me read just the text of each post. It was nice. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on C-D.

* on some sites a symbol looking like a list of lines shows up on the left end of the address bar. Clicking that gives you the text on a page where you can adjust the size of the font for easy reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets