Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:40 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
It is version 7.1.2
That's the version of iOS, not the version of the iPad itself. How about this: Does it use the lightning cable or the older large connector to charge it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 09:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Staples fits into your budget this week.

Apple iPad Air 2 9.7" WiFi Tablet
16GB $349.99
64GB $449.99
128GB $549.99

Old 09-20-2015, 09:45 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
I am trying to move away from my heavy laptop to a tablet. The only thing I use the laptop is for email, surfing the net, going on and commenting on fourms like City Data, and most importantly watching videos, including music videos on youtube as well as watching shows on Hulu. That's it. I don't need any office work done. Don't need to print anything. My wife has an Ipad, so I have been experimenting. I was on HGTV watching a show, but every time it played the commercials it would become stuck and I had a hard time getting to the next section of the show. The actual show played well and the sound was fine. Is this typical? Also, I noticed youtube would only give you a few videos and you need an ap to get everything on that site. But when I reviewed the aps they were filled with complaints.

My budget in around 300 dollars. Is there a better tablet for what I want than the Ipad, or would different video services like crackle be better on the Ipad?
Long answer

Getting stuck at the commercial is a programming issue, not an Internet connection issue. You didn't mention anything about buffering, and I know what you're referring to. It happens to me when I'm watching YouTube or any of the AdRise developed channels on my Roku, it even happens on Hulu. Crackle would not be any different. This delay is typical on mobile devices and DLNA devices. An official Google app is often the best way around this, again, for programming reasons, not bandwidth or Internet speed considerations.

Short answer

Go to m.youtube.com and watch it from there. It is the mobile website for YouTube. I never have any issues with that site and I watch YouTube videos on my Windows Phone. The ads play before the video, but the transition is seamless.

To be honest I would just buy the Amazon Fire, which is now $50, for what you're doing, or find a cheap Windows or Android tablet on sale. Unless you want to watch 4K videos in their native resolution, there is no need to use an iPad for what you're doing.

Last edited by goofy328; 09-20-2015 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-21-2015, 02:22 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's the version of iOS, not the version of the iPad itself. How about this: Does it use the lightning cable or the older large connector to charge it?
OK, it is model MD510LL/A with 13.2 GB capacity. It charges with the same plug as the Iphone 5.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Long answer

Getting stuck at the commercial is a programming issue, not an Internet connection issue. You didn't mention anything about buffering, and I know what you're referring to. It happens to me when I'm watching YouTube or any of the AdRise developed channels on my Roku, it even happens on Hulu. Crackle would not be any different. This delay is typical on mobile devices and DLNA devices. An official Google app is often the best way around this, again, for programming reasons, not bandwidth or Internet speed considerations.

Short answer

Go to m.youtube.com and watch it from there. It is the mobile website for YouTube. I never have any issues with that site and I watch YouTube videos on my Windows Phone. The ads play before the video, but the transition is seamless.

To be honest I would just buy the Amazon Fire, which is now $50, for what you're doing, or find a cheap Windows or Android tablet on sale. Unless you want to watch 4K videos in their native resolution, there is no need to use an iPad for what you're doing.
I got the crackle app and everything plays great there. Very happy about that! I am afraid the Amazon Fire and most other tablets would have a screen too small? I would LOVE something smaller, lighter, but am afraid the screen would be too small and would drive me crazy. Am getting hooked on Pandora too. Can most other tablets play that?

Old 09-21-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Haven't done updates in awhile? Run updates so it will go to iOS 9.
What is the advantage of doing this?

Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
What is the advantage of doing this?
You have a 16GB gen 4. It was a midlife upgrade that was almost a Air, but was not The software will be enhanced.

iOS 9 - What

Old 09-21-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I got the crackle app and everything plays great there. Very happy about that! I am afraid the Amazon Fire and most other tablets would have a screen too small? I would LOVE something smaller, lighter, but am afraid the screen would be too small and would drive me crazy. Am getting hooked on Pandora too. Can most other tablets play that?
Yes. Go look at a Amazon Fire HDX 8.9". It's lighter and thinner. Here is the older version:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BHJRYYS/...pollo_pgstripe

It is currently on clearance at Staples for $99.50 (for some reason the 7" also has the same clearance price), but doubtful there is a display of it. It was on special last week for a lower price, so you may have to ask for it by sku.

sku 306699 (8.9)
sku 306702 (7)

Last edited by Pruzhany; 09-21-2015 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 04:25 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
OK, it is model MD510LL/A with 13.2 GB capacity. It charges with the same plug as the Iphone 5.
Thank you for that info. You have the 4th generation iPad. It should handle videos fine. My older iPad 2 does and it is starting to get old.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
I have an even older Ipad--second gen and I watch so much streaming on mine it's not funny....
this has to do with problems in programming at the source of the material if you are trying to watch a program via Internet by going to that site--HGTV.com for example--- vs using an app designed to funnel videos--
I have Netflix, HBOGo, Amazon, A&E, Starz, MLB.com, Showtime app, Fox's app, the ATT Uverse app that I use when I am on my home's wi-fi network...and a few more...

those apps all pretty much run flawlessly (depending on the buffer and wi-fi connection) but there are times when I go to Internet and try to watch something online like at HGTV.com and get nothing but problems...
I think partly that has to do with Apple products not integrating Flash programming...

I love my Ipad but I am considering getting a small laptop/tablet that views Flash and has a larger memory
I have not upgraded my IOS because I need to do it via cable w/computer that has my ITunes account on it and the desktop has been having issues with its wifi connection--
so can't connect with ITunes --

Personally I would want to get the tablet with the largest/best screen for viewing if you are doing mainly streaming activities vs any office type work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets