Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:02 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'm not finding those on the web site. In-store sale only?
At that price they must have sold out quickly. I am now getting:
This item is no longer available.

I remember seeing this article called
12 Things You Can Replace With a $38 Tablet BY EVAN DASHEVSKY
12 Things You Can Replace With a $38 Tablet - Slideshow from PCMag.com

The author was arguing that instead of focusing on the limitations of a $38 tablet, you should concentrate on replacing single use electronics where the tablet is a more flexible solution for about the same price.

I immediately went out to HHGregg and bought a $40 tablet which stopped working in less than 48 hours. I finally decided to purchase a subsidized Android phone ($15.98 for a 3.5 inch screen) from a Tracfone division to use as a mini tablet. The screen was much smaller, but it was a lot more rugged.

The phone did have a warning that it was intended only for phone service, and that I should return it to the store if I did not intend to use it for that purpose. After a few weeks I did activate it on another Tracfone division (at a considerably lower price), so they did get a contract out of it. I noticed that the same Android phone would sell for three different prices dependent on the Tracfone division and the cost of their contract.

Brand names of TracFone are: TracFone, NET10 Wireless, Total Wireless, Straight Talk, SafeLink Wireless, Telcel América, Simple Mobile, and Page Plus Cellular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The author was arguing that instead of focusing on the limitations of a $38 tablet, you should concentrate on replacing single use electronics where the tablet is a more flexible solution for about the same price.
I immediately went out to HHGregg and bought a $40 tablet which stopped working in less than 48 hours. I finally decided to purchase a subsidized Android phone ($15.98 for a 3.5 inch screen) from a Tracfone division to use as a mini tablet. The screen was much smaller, but it was a lot more rugged.
A 3.5" smartphone is hardly a replacement for a tablet, if you want a tablet you can easily find one for under $40. On Amazon, there are three $49 fire tablets available as 'warehouse specials', one of them for $27.99 is described as having small cosmetic damage. If you buy it and have problems with it, you can return it to Amazon and they will pay return shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...condition=used

Old 06-27-2016, 08:39 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
A 3.5" smartphone is hardly a replacement for a tablet, if you want a tablet you can easily find one for under $40. On Amazon, there are three $49 fire tablets available as 'warehouse specials', one of them for $27.99 is described as having small cosmetic damage. If you buy it and have problems with it, you can return it to Amazon and they will pay return shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...condition=used
They were selling the Amazon Fire for $39.99 but there are lock screen ads.

Peh.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:03 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They were selling the Amazon Fire for $39.99 but there are lock screen ads.
Peh.
I know, but now it's back up to $49 but they have 3 in Amazon warehouse for under $30, those are typically items with a small cosmetic flaw, or just damaged packaging, I shop at Amazon extensively and always look at warehouse offerings for what I am buying.

And yes the tablet has adds on the splash screen, so what? You swipe it and the tablet opens just like one without it, and if it bothers you that much, you have two other options - pay to get the ads removed or if it really bothers you that much, root it. The only problem I have with Amazon branded tablets is that you can't access apps in the google play store, you need to find an APK and sideload them if they aren't in the Amazon app store.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:33 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
I see Walmart has some quad core tablets for under $50. I'm not really in the market for one, but I might find an excuse to get one anyway ... my little 7" Galaxy Tab 2 is okay for basic tasks but sometimes seems to struggle.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
we may be at the point where we don't use tablets as general purpose portable devices but rather an item that stays where you'll be using it and does fairly specific duties for the space it inhabits.
To me, that would depend on the battery life. I don't want to have to charge something as ubiquitous as my TV remote more than once a week.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:25 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
My son texted me the other day that the Amazon Fire 7 tablet was on sale again for $33. Free shipping for Amazon Prime members.

He snagged one for himself just because its more convenient than his iPad. The Amazon 7 tab can fit in his cargo pants/shorts pocket. Plus he can side-load Kodi, which he couldn't do on his iPad without jailbreaking it.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:47 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
I have an Amazon Fire 7 tablet that I bought last year.
It's worked well for anything I wanted it to do, but lately the battery life is slowly getting shorter and shorter.
My only complaint so far.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:23 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,934 times
anyone using the fire 8? any issues with wifi connectivity and using google aps like youtube?

i'm a prime member so being able to access amazon features offline is very attractive to me

Old 06-28-2017, 05:53 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
anyone using the fire 8? any issues with wifi connectivity and using google aps like youtube?

i'm a prime member so being able to access amazon features offline is very attractive to me

I have a Fire 7 that I bought about 2 years ago or so. Just recently, I started having connectivity issues. I couldn't find any info on how to correct the problem so I just bought another one. For $50-well, I paid $70 for double the storage.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets